Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
tile floor layout-brick pattern???

Posted by queenskitchen (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 5, 08 at 12:32

In a narrow galley kitchen, would a brick pattern layout work for laying the floor tile with 12x12 floor tiles? I dont have pictures right now but the kitchen is about 4ft wide and 12 ft long. I was trying to avoid the long straight lines as you look down the kitchen but dont know if the brick pattern the short way would look too choppy.
Does anyone have pictures of a brick pattern tile floor in a galley ktichen?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: tile floor layout-brick pattern???

There are some pictures in the thread linked below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Thread: Please show me your floor in a brick or 'running bond' pattern

o

Have you considered laying them on the diagonal? It works wonders on a long, narrow space.

o

I agree diagonal would be good or maybe you could break it up, something like this pattern.

Photobucket

o

I cant do diaganol because the contractor is already waiting for the tile and i would need to order another 50% to account for the waste.

o

A 'running bond' will need a bit more cutting, but shouldn't lead to much more waste.

Go accross the room the narrow way, so the only straight lines DO NOT run the long way of the room.

It's a very good strategy for long, narrow spaces or DIYers who are worried about keeping super long lines perfectly straight.

Consider a 1/3rd stagger as well as a 1/2: that is, offset each new row by one third of a tile realitive to the one before, instead of a full half. Every third row will repeat that way, and to me it's a little more sophisticated looking but no more trouble to do.

o

50% more for diagonal tile sounds high. It's been a few years since I did my bathroom - 3 different size travertine tiles, laid randomly on the diagonal - but I think I ordered 20% more than the rooms's square footage.

o

What's wrong with straight lines running the long way? I though it would make a small space look larger. I'm in the same boat for my kitchen.

o

Nothing wrong if you like it, but it can make a long, narrow space seem even more so.

o

We were told it would cost quite a bit more to do a diagonal.

o
Question for Oruboris

Oruboris...any photos of that 1/3 staggered tile pattern?

o

We were told it would cost quite a bit more to do a diagonal.

If you're charged more than a 1.00 a foot more, get another price.

Oruboris...any photos of that 1/3 staggered tile pattern?

Give me about another week. I'm about to install a floor like that using 12x18 rectified porcelain.

o
post script

One other thing-- when turning the floor diagonal, you MIGHT want another FIVE percent for waste. Anyone who told you you'd need 50% is out of their minds.

o

Here's a link to a really cool pdf that shows tons of tile-laying patterns. It's very interesting viewing if you are looking to do something a little different.

Sandy

Here is a link that might be useful: Crossville Patterns Brochure

o

Floor came out great. I figured i should post the after since you all helped me with the before. (by the way, that is only a temporary cabinet and sink)

floor without grout

Hard to see in this one

temporary kitchen #2

other side

Fridge wall

o

That looks great!

o

Your floor turned out great! Tell me about your tile...I like it!

Sandy

o

Thanks! tile is crossville palais style in the versailles color (porcelean tile) (12x12) It comes across more orangey in the pictures. There are like 4 different color variations but it is a tan/sand based tile with brown flecks and swirls and some grey too. I love it and it wasnt too expensive.

o

Tell me about your tile...I like it! Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: porcelain tiles

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here