Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cobbyw_gw

kitchen cabinet height and design question

cobbyw
9 years ago

Kitchen is not huge so I want to maximize storage. Kitchen is part of open concept living/ dining area.

I have seen many picture of kitchens with cabinets all the way to the ceiling. It is a nice look, and obviously provides for some extra storage. However, it may be too much. Ceilings are 10 feet high. Cabinets will be painted a white color with a light granite on top. I am attaching two layouts...low and high cabinets. A third option could be staggering heights of cabinets. I appreciate your feedback.

{{!gwi}}

Comments (16)

• cobbyw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

second option- tall cabinets

• kiko_gw
    9 years ago

I can't see the first picture?

• cobbyw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Trying to post short cabinets

• User
    9 years ago

I much prefer the tall ones. With molding. Which you're not leaving enough room for in the design. You need to back off from the ceiling and use a 2 pc molding to account for the out of level ceiling. These are 42"+18+ 6" of molding using a mounting strip and a simple XL cove molding that is appropriate to the scale of the height of the installation.

• cobbyw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you so much.

• ssdarb
    9 years ago

We just did this to our kitchen this year. Our ceilings are 10 feet and the kitchen is completely open to breakfast and family room. We went to the ceiling, white cabs with dark counters, and a few glass front cabs. I store a lot of entertaining stuff up high. Got to get a ladder out to access it of course. Since we entertain a lot and have tons of extra glass and serveware, this works for us. For others it might be too much storage especially if they feel like they won't want to use a ladder to access it.

Definitely plan for your mouldings and don't get upset that your ceiling will not be level. The installers can handle it. My painters refloated the ceiling to make it work.

• cobbyw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Great tip..thank you!

• snoonyb
    9 years ago

Architecturally, the short.

Aesthetically, the tall, in fact i've a rolling library ladder, available.

For ease of access, of coarse.

• kiko_gw
    9 years ago

I prefer the look of the tall. But it looks like your range doesn't have a lot of room around it and won't the dishwasher door block an aisle when it's open?

• Mags438
    9 years ago

Prefer the cabs all the way up. Our kitchen ceiling is also 10ft high and neither the floor nor ceiling were level. We went with cabs up 9ft and then 12" for crown molding. Our room is enclosed and it 'feels' comfy and not overwhelming. have been extremely happy over the decision.

• Ellen1234
    9 years ago

Mags438 - do you have pictures of your cabinets with the 12" for crown molding? I have the same amount of space to fill and the wood is on order for the pieces I chose to fill it. But we do have some room for adjustment when installing it.

Thanks!

• funkycamper
    9 years ago

I'm always the oddball. I like the shorter. All those wall cabinets seem crowded and looming to me. Unless the storage is desperately needed, I wouldn't do it.

• Mags438
    9 years ago

Ellen, my crown molding profile. Ooops, I see from diagram, it's just over 11". (My ceiling and walls are not level). I let the cab ppl design crown, since I was tired of making decisions by then. They took elements (like the lower bead) from other crown moldings in the house.

• Mags438
    9 years ago

The photo. My photo taking skills are poor, sorry. Not sure of the angle you wanted.

• Ellen1234
    9 years ago

Thank you! That helps!

Unfortunately for me, the cabinet guy didn't offer any suggestions/help with the profile and just wanted to know what I wanted him to do.

I was done with decisions as well, thus I'm finally getting to this over a year later!

• Mags438
    9 years ago

Ellen- Haha! I'm afraid I will be in ABB and looking at this the next few years. Haha