Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
callmejane

How ridiculous does this faucet look?

CallMeJane
10 years ago

Im trying to keep the look of my kitchen as transitional as possible. Using some contemporary features to offset old world looking ones (slate backsplash). The faucet was supposed to be my cool contemporary pull. I didnt think about the height of it, and my GOD is it high! Thankfully, it doesnt hit the cabinet and can be swung around without touching anything. But do you guys think its something that I should look to replace? Mind you, I have two islands in front of this perimeter, so to me it doesnt look that obvious. Maybe Im just trying to make it work. My builder said he didnt even notice it till I pointed it out, but then was like WOW thats a big faucet.
Thoughts? Thanks!

This post was edited by CallMeJane on Thu, Nov 7, 13 at 12:28

Comments (35)

• ineffablespace
    10 years ago

I think it looks kind of overwhelming. Could you get a shorter version?

• nyurcisin
    10 years ago

Hi Jane. I almost ordered one very similar to this and I love the design! But I see what you mean about the height. Visually, I don't think it would be an issue if you didn't have cabs directly over it. It might have disappeared if a window were there. But it's not... so my only concerns would be:

1) is it close enough to scrape against the cab bottom when in use? and 2) will it interfere with the placement of your under cab lighting. If not and you love it, then keep it! If it bugs you every time you look at it (or use it), then it may be worth replacing. Love your cabs and sink!

• Bunny
    10 years ago

Although it doesn't hit the cabinet it looks like it does, so that makes it look overly large for its space. I think it might be fine in a more open area.

• suzanne_sl
    10 years ago

I would want something shorter. I think it makes that area look cramped, which it really isn't.

• live_wire_oak
    10 years ago

The faucet is fine. Order a shorter cabinet above the sink. Or remove it.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

Yeah, it can never look right when it appears to be touching the cabinet above. The style looks great though.

• mark_rachel
    10 years ago

It looks very out of place to me. It doesn't flow with the overall look of your kitchen. I would replace.

• Fori
    10 years ago

Yup. Too tall. But if it functions I would leave it because I'm not that fussy. I don't suppose you can bend or compress the coil thingy to have it slightly lower could you? (You know, while still having the water end up in the sink...)

Love the materials and colors you've used though.

• jjsmama89
    10 years ago

I love the faucet - it matches that stainless farmer's sink perfectly. I am with whoever said move those cabinets right above the faucet & increase your backsplash. I would bet that would look like a million bucks! BTW, do you know what kind of granite is on the island (maybe Acqua Veneto)?

• maid_o_cliff
    10 years ago

I think it is a little to large and it seems to be the focal point, at least from that angle. Do they make the same faucet in a slightly smaller size?
    Now having said that, I really do not care if anyone (but DH), likes what I use in my home. So if you like it and it works ok, then do your thing!

Red

• chicagoans
    10 years ago

Well at first I thought it looked too tall, but then I got distracted by that fabulous island countertop! Now, what was the question again? :)

• marthastoo
    10 years ago

I think it's too tall for the space. Obviously, it's a lot cheaper and less work to replace the faucet than retiling and reording and reinstalling shorter upper cabs. That said, I love a commercial faucet - I have a really tall Dornbracht and love it. I'm pretty sure the Grohe, Danze and Blanco are all shorter than your KWC.

• christy43
    10 years ago

I looked at the same type of faucets when remodeling. My personal opinion, it is too tall but I can't say that I would have made this observation had you not specifically asked. The other concern with that type of "industrial" faucet is that it causes a lot of splash and overspray when in use. I ended up going with a different faucet but do what you love! Your counters and cabinets are beautiful!

• elphaba_gw
    10 years ago

Looks like a beautiful kitchen but there does seem to be a negative "distraction" because the faucet seems obviously cramped.

• rococogurl
    10 years ago

The scale (relative size) of the faucet is not right for the space. That one could go on an island prep sink, however.

The Rohl Architectural faucet is 21" high and should have a better scale -- you could measure and see. It will do what you want style-wise. Of course, it is on the higher end. This faucet was my choice for a previous kitchen and I still think it's tops --perhaps you will like it as well. It's Italian made.

While you're at it, you might want to consider some gray switches and outlets for the backsplash. The white ones will pop and a color nearer the splash color would blend.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rohl Architectural

• blfenton
    10 years ago

With how cramped it is in it's little alcove, I don't think it's being allowed to be shown it's full potential and beauty.

Can the top cabinet be removed? You have glass cabinets above so maybe instead of the wood cabinet put in a glass shelf above the tap and that could segue into the glass cabinet above and allow the faucet the room it needs. The glass shelf is also a bit of a contemporary touch. Just a thought.

• fourten1j
    10 years ago

I think it would look fine if the upper cab was a little higher. Is that the Kraus faucet? I think I have the same one:

• CallMeJane
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks so much for the responses!!
    The stone is White Macaubus Quartzite...I skimped on cabinets to splurge on the stone. Most of it is covered with pink paper. Waiting for a final reveal.
    Its not a kraus--wanted it though, I had to go with the Vigo bc the size sink I needed was back ordered in Kraus.
    FoxCrane, do you like your faucet?
    Very valuable input, I will look into the suggestions. If Im really unhappy with how it looks (still hard to say as its not completely done) will think of new shorter cab vs just pulling the one there, as I do like the faucet.
    Thanks again!!

• fourten1j
    10 years ago

I actually really do like the faucet. The cold water running to it is filtered, and I like getting drinkable water from the faucet, whereas the sprayer is nice and powerful for rinsing things. Most of all, I like how it looks!

• marissa16
    10 years ago

FoxCrane, what filtration unit are you using for your cold water? I am looking for a simple undercounter unit and can't decide or get adequate reviews.

• fourten1j
    10 years ago

Marissa - I'm using the 3M Full Flow system, link below

Here is a link that might be useful: Full Flow 3MFF100 by 3M

• nightowlrn
    10 years ago

Love the faucet. Raise or remove the upper cabs. Great look !!!

• amykath
    10 years ago

I really love that facuet. However, it takes away from the beauty of your backsplash and is too tall. Can you find one that looks like that one but is shorter?

I love your kitchen!

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

I think function should trump form, so I'm wondering why the faucet has to be that high, i.e. what's the underlying function?
    Or in other words: If it's just for looks, I'd replace it with one that's more in proportion. To me, it looks out of place in an otherwise amazing kitchen.

• suzanne_sl
    10 years ago

FoxCrane's Photoshop of your kitchen showing a shorter cab over the sink was very helpful. All things considered, I think the size of the faucet is disproportionate to the entire space, not just the single cabinet.

P.S. I so want to see those counters!

• kksmama
    10 years ago

My dh really wanted that kind of faucet, but eventually decided on, and loves, the Blanco Culina.
    Your kitchen is amazing, but I think you have to change either the upper cabinet or the faucet to do them justice. I adore those cabinets!

• gpraceman55
    10 years ago

I'd change out the faucet to something a bit smaller, since it is easier to do that than to change out the cabinet above it to a shorter one and then to bring the backsplash up.

• nancybee_2010
    10 years ago

I agree with Suzanne- disproportionate to the entire space. I think It still looks too tall even with the cabinets shortened.

Your kitchen is so beautiful!

• Gracie
    10 years ago

Hadn't thought of this before, but those faucets probably do look best in a large space with larger than standard appliances. Otherwise, it steals all the attention.

• Tricia21
    10 years ago

It's too tall. Switch for something a little shorter but otherwise fabulous!

• nini804
    9 years ago

Too big to my eye...it seems like it can't "breathe" in that location. Lovely kitchen, you must be getting so excited!

• Nancy Falzon
    9 years ago

I think you may be able to find a smaller version of the style you like. You cant really appreciate the pretty tile, eyes go to faucet.

• mrspete
    9 years ago

Something needs to go. Either the faucet or the cabinet above it. Personally, since I'm very short and could never use the cabinet anyway, I know which one I'd sacrafice.

Bummer.

• szruns
    9 years ago

How did this 2013 post get to the top of the board? Oops.

• romy718
    9 years ago

Oops, yes. Maybe we'll find out what the OP decided.