Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
momof3kids_pa

Please help with my kitchen, which plan do you think?

momof3kids_pa
9 years ago

Uh, I thought I was sooo good when I did my last kitchen (sold that house), this kitchen I am having so much trouble! I posted a few months ago (thank you for your help then), but we have since hired an architect because we are doing more than just the kitchen. He brought plans last week. The attached plan is what we think we are keen on - it also is the one that fits our budget. He proposed moving kitchen to an exterior wall, but that involves moving lots of windows, and is out of budget. We have to nail down a plan before we go to the kitchen designer (because we are moving walls).

Anyhoo, at this stage we can switch and move things etc so I would love if you all could look this over and see if it's good or would move or change anything else. Attached are the architects plans, then my ikea planner version of that plan with the kitchen in place.

EXISTING layout:

Plan:

My kitchen plans are the link down the bottom... I cant figure how to embed those? Should I move dining room door? The architects plans call for a billiard room where the dining room was. We have to decide whether we want that room to be the pool table, or the formal dining room. We still have the living room which we had intended to be the pool room. Also, I don't want a sink in the island, i want a large unhindered space. I was thinking of having a cut out to the dining room where the sink is, similar to this:

But bottom line, we want advise on if you have the door to the dining room moved to where the architect put it, does that allow for a good layout of the kitchen? The kitchen (if you think a square) has 3 walls with doors and one open wall. I'm finding it very hard to get a good layout! Please help!

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen Layout Plans

This post was edited by momof3kids_pa on Wed, Nov 5, 14 at 15:42

Comments (7)

• momof3kids_pa
    Original Author
    9 years ago

oh, and both of the kitchen plans i did would have a bar sink on the pantry wall -- the ikea planner is giving me gray hair... although i cant complain because it's free!

• Jillius
    9 years ago

The dining room table seems nice in either location to me, but I think the pool table makes a lot more sense in the top left corner of the planned layout, in that space that is totally open to the living room. Pool, to me, is a fun hangout group activity. Where though not everyone may be playing, you still want to be able to talk to everybody who isn't playing and watch whatever is on TV with them between shots. Or yell at them to get up and come play or whatever.

Usually if you are eating at the formal dining table, everyone present in the house is sitting down together, so that table doesn't really need to be very open to another room where nobody is anymore.

That said, your current plan and planned plan are so extremely different (the foyer and stairs disappeared, the outline of the whole house has changed, walls have moved, fireplace is entirely different, etc. that I can't really tell what has happened or suggest modifications to those changes.

It looks like it's just a totally new house

• momof3kids_pa
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for looking Jillius! We are hoping it to feel like a whole new house! I photoshopped the new plan right over the existing layout so you can see better the changes. We will moved the existing wall of the kinda small kitchen over roughly 4 feet to take away from existing formal dining room (13.2' x 22.5') which we rarely use. We will move gas fireplace too because we do not like how massive it currently is and its not in a good location for furniture placement. We are considering making the current wall between dining room and family room a half wall so we can do just that... talk to people watching tv to come join us!! We just dont know whether to have the doorway between dining room/billiard room because it adds some difficulty in cabinet placement, but on the flip side it does add nice flow!

Does this pic help in seeing the changes proposed???

• deickhoff0
    9 years ago

I can't say about the kitchen..need to study it a bit. I will say I would not put a half wall where you are considering it. I'd leave it open.

• momof3kids_pa
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for looking also deickhoff! the wall between existing family room and existing dining room is a solid wall. The architects can take down the whole wall with column supports, or make it a half wall with columns - he said wide enough to put "stuff" on (pictures, etc), or leave it full solid wall and put a new doorway opening in. There is currently no connection between those 2 rooms, doorway to dining room is currently through kitchen at the top of that wall and living room at front of house.

• momof3kids_pa
    Original Author
    9 years ago

(double post, sorry)

This post was edited by momof3kids_pa on Wed, Nov 5, 14 at 15:51

• deickhoff0
    9 years ago

I suppose I'd go with the column support. I wouldn't want a half wall. I would want the doorway from kitchen to dining/billiard rm for flow.