Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
redroze_gw

Backsplash grouted

redroze
15 years ago

So he grouted the backplash and it looks great, even the part around the window which DH convinced me to leave in. He still needs to sponge it off which is why it's very hard to see the tile/grout edges. I'll post more pics once he's removed all of the top part with a sponge.

Just wanted to share the results with everyone who read my previous post:

Comments (32)

• pluckymama
    15 years ago

WOW, what a difference grout makes. It's gorgeous!

• cat_mom
    15 years ago

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!

• redroze
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Isn't it great, Pluckymama? I actually said a loud "wow" when I came downstairs and saw what he had done. I am so happy we went with the white grout, I really didn't want the lines to be too pronounced as our granite has some movement.

Here are some close ups. He hasn't sponged it yet...I thought this was supposed to be done immediately after grouting? I'm probably wrong on this.

• minette99
    15 years ago

Yes, it IS gorgeous! Even the window looks beautiful! Really, really nice! :)

• pluckymama
    15 years ago

Redroze, it is great. I get almost as excited about your kitchen's progress as I do mine :) You have done such a wonderful job with your kitchen and I have learned so much from all of your posts and pics. The white grout is perfect. In a few weeks I hope to be where you are.

• josie724
    15 years ago

Looks great Redroze, it's amazing how the grout pulls it all together. It really looks beautiful.

• melanie1121
    15 years ago

Wow, your kitchen is stunning!!! Is that 3 x 6 tile? Great taste!
    Melanie1121

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    15 years ago

Just gorgeous! I love your kitchen!

• busybme
    15 years ago

It does look great, redroze! You are so close to being 100% complete!

• cheri127
    15 years ago

Wow, I love those long subway tiles. The backsplash looks great!

• redroze
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Melanie - They are actually 2x8, and a "skinny" version of the 3x6 subway tile.

I know, we're SO close. We got our sectional last week - you can view it here if you like.

• lightlystarched
    15 years ago

Very very nice!! You made great choices.

• lovetocook9
    15 years ago

I've been away for a few weeks and haven't seen things for awhile. Progression is coming along beautifully! As pluckymama I hope to be there in a few weeks but I have a feeling it won't be until after the new year...sigh...
    Just looks great redroze!

• bill_vincent
    15 years ago

Here are some close ups. He hasn't sponged it yet...I thought this was supposed to be done immediately after grouting?

You get about 90% of the haze off just after grouting. The rest will come off the following day, once the grout has set up. What you're showing me in that pic is well within acceptable limits, although I prefer to get it a little cleaner than that initially.

• redroze
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Bill - he didn't end up coming today as my DH said he would sponge it off (DH wanted to do it and learned how to). Is it okay if we sponge off the 10% of haze left tomorrow (i.e. 2 days after it was grouted)?

Thanks!

• redroze
    Original Author
    15 years ago

By the way Bill, my second set of photos above was BEFORE he sponged it off. This photo is after he sponged it off:

• redroze
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oops, my mistake. DH explained that the guy did sponge it off a final time. DH is doing a quick wipe with his sponge just in case, but I think all the haze is gone.

• jessie21
    15 years ago

holy cow, redroze, it does look totally gorgeous! and we were worried about the tile around the window....not anymore! love the white grout with it and your granite just looks so nice.

• clax66
    15 years ago

Oh, Redroze, your tiles look fantastic!

You were referring to a "he"; did you get somebody to come in to do those tiles?

I ask, because - sigh - my BF is working on our fireplace at the moment (he just poured concrete on the hearth before tiling) and our backsplash is on the backlist of priorities now:( I wish I could call a handyman to finish.

• bill_vincent
    15 years ago

redrose-- you can give it the final wipe down any time after the initial set which is about 4-6 hours.

You're right-- it DOES look alot better in that last pic you posted. :-)

• vicnsb
    15 years ago

So beautiful and so close to done! Congrats!
    vic

• redroze
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Clax, the "he" is a subcontractor. DH helped him with sponging off the haze...and does a bunch of diy stuff around the house. But we hired a GC with subs to reno the kitchen. Good luck with your project!

• ptyles
    15 years ago

It looks wonderful!!! I am always amazed at how different a kitchen looks once the backsplash is finished.

• melanie1121
    15 years ago

Your kitchen is stunning.

I have a silly question:

What came first the tile or the faucet?

My plumber tells me it will be easier for the tile people if the faucet is out of the way. I'm in a hurry cause I'd like some running water. Please advise.

Thanks,
    Melanie

• bill_vincent
    15 years ago

He's right, but it can be done either way.

• redroze
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Melanie - Not a silly question at all. The faucets were installed long before the tile was installed. I don't think it is very hard to tile behind a faucet considering many people do their backsplash long after their kitchen is completed. I'm with you - go for the running water as it's the key thing you miss when going without a kitchen for so long!!

The only thing to consider is how thick the tile will be, as you want to ensure your faucet handles have enough clearance behind them with the tile installed.

• bill_vincent
    15 years ago

redrose-- it depends on the faucet. I've had some where I actually had to cut a sponge into pieces in order to clean the excess grout properly, not to mention grouting the joints with my fingers instead of a grout float, and in those instances, it was difficult trying to maneuver my fingers to get it done right. Not impossible, but definitely tougher than if the faucet weren't there.

• redroze
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I see...thanks for the clarity Bill!

• shannonskitchen
    15 years ago

Redroze _ please tell me thename of your granite and what kind of sink you have~love them

• redroze
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Shannon,

The granite is Bianco Antico. I must say that not all Bianco Anticos are created equal. Our counters have an off-white base with grey, bronze, red and black bits in them, but I've seen other slabs with more yellow and black.

Our main sink is a blanco silgranit sink and our prep sink is stainless steel and from Ticor. I don't love the biscuit colour of the silgranit sink...it's great practically and I love the size, but I would have gone with the white, had I known that the biscuit sink had such a yellow undertone to it (I thought it was a sandy brown undertone based on the sample).

Hope that helps!

Here's some close ups:

• klutterkara
    15 years ago

Redroze, just fabulous...yours may be my new inspiration!

• redroze
    Original Author
    15 years ago

That's very sweet Klutterkara, thank you! Stay tuned for the final finished kitchen photos...we should be done sometime in February, fingers crossed!! The fabric that we want for our kitchen chairs is backordered until then...

Good luck with your planning.