Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Suggestions for Low-Priced Kitchen Cabinets

Posted by Xena99 (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 19, 12 at 12:19

I have a set of white laminate kitchen cabinets in my studio and want to switch them to a dark color. Painting or refinishing is not an option due to the laminate. There is only 94 inches of base cabinets to replace.

Any suggestions for a really low-priced cabinets in a chocolate brown, full frame style?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Suggestions for Low-Priced Kitchen Cabinets

Any particular reason you want face frame cabinets? If not for that, I'd suggest Ikea.

o

The chemistry of paint has come a long, long way in the last ten years. It may be possible now to successfully paint your laminate (while it might not have worked with old products). I've used paint formulated for plastic with great results, even on outdoor garden planters. If you had time, it might be interesting to talk with the paint expert at a local home store or paint store. Explain that you want to paint light colored laminate to dark brown and see what they recommend.

o

They are really junky and I need to replace the cheesy white countertop anyway, so it seems best to replace the cabinets rather than paint them.

I think the term I meant to use is FULL OVERLAY rather than Full Frame. Full overlay being a clean, contemporary look since I sometimes have clients in there. I want this to serve as a coffee bar and storage space. I have an ugly plastic laundry sink there now.

Ikea looks interesting but I guess you have to purchase or make a platform for them?

o

I used Cliq Studios for my kitchen remodel. Check out their birch sable color in the Dayton or Rockford doors. Their website is cliqstudios.com

Here is a link that might be useful: My finished kitchen

o

> Ikea looks interesting but I guess you have to purchase or
> make a platform for them?

No - they have sturdy adjustable legs that make leveling very simple.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here