Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mamasalvo

Need help with stainless sink replace urgent

mamasalvo
9 years ago

Started with a leak which turned into lots of damage and last week they broke my granite trying to pull out my built in cabinets. Have Granite company coming tomorrow to re-template( Thanksgiving deadline hopefully) and discovered 10 year old SS sink is dented so needs relacing. I need to replace quickly to keep on schedule. Looking for suggestions for good drop in Stainless sink and hoping to even find one in a local Plumbing store or box store so I can even go tonigh to purchase. Any ideas would be appreciated. No time to research but I always trust the advise I get here.

Thanx

Comments (11)

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

Sorry, but I don't think there is such a thing as a good drop in sink.

• HomeChef59
    9 years ago

If you are getting new granite, you have time for an under mount sink.

I found this company this weekend. I'm plan to get one of these. Call them, maybe it can be expedited.

http://www.seamlesssink.com/

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Home Depot has them.

I love my SS drop-in sink. It's an Ariel, cheap as the day is long lousy fit, my poor plumber had to jury rig itâ¦but I absolutely love it.

• northcarolina
    9 years ago

No such thing? That's ridiculous. (No offense, Treb, but really.)

I have a Kohler Vault low divide that is topmounted. Functionally it is fantastic; huge and good looking (not kidding) and the low divide is perfect for the way I work. The square inside corners are a little bit of a challenge to keep clean. I also have a cheap Ikea topmounted round prep sink. It has kept its looks and also works perfectly; I can see no difference in quality between it and the Vault. Maybe there's a difference in steel gauge but you can't tell when you're using it.

Not sure how a sink *wouldn't* work... I think it's mostly a matter of size and configuration. If you're a single-bowl person, you might tell somebody that a divided-bowl sink is junk (even though it works fine for divided-bowl people). Then you just have to decide on material, and I happen to like stainless. Not everyone does.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

northcarolina:

Show me an overmount that doesn't have a crud line around the perimeter after a month and maybe I'll change my mind.

• snoonyb
    9 years ago

"Show me an overmount that doesn't have a crud line around the perimeter after a month and maybe I'll change my mind."

AHA, form vs function.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Show me an undercount that doesn't have crud around where the top of the sink meets the counter. My experience is that the crud built up in undermounts is worse because it's easier to neglect cleaning that area, while it's natural to clean the rim of a drop-in sink.

• mamasalvo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the feedback. Was able to find an 18 guage one in stock. Re the comments about undermount vs. drop in. I said drop in but I meant undermount. I have had both but the one I just replaced because the granite fell on it was an undermount- 10 years old and I loved it. The only problem I had was darkness around my granite sink lip which I am sure was a result of my poor granite maintenance ( applying sealer only twice in 10 years). I had a similar darkening problem around my soap dispenser so with the new granite- better Maintenance and no more soap dispenser. All in all- my Granite and my sink were in great shape until their unfortunate accident caused by my Grohe Alira Faucet Cartridge leaking for several days while I was away. Grohe has a lifetime warranty and sent replacement parts immediately. Unfortunately, They did not replace my Pergo floor, Cabinets, or Underhouse Garage ceiling. Not to mention my Granite and sink which were collateral damage. I think I will look into one of those Water Leak alarm systems especially since I am upgrading to solid wood floors.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

"Show me an undercount that doesn't have crud around where the top of the sink meets the counter."

Tibbrix:

Ask and ye shall receive. Here is my Karran seamed undermount in Formica solid surface. No crud anywhere.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Treb, you think I can't put pics up of drop-ins with no crud anywhere as well?

I can, including my own.

That was not the point.

• dcward89
    9 years ago

Crud around a sink, whether undermount or topmount, has WAY more to do with the homeowner's maintenance/cleaning routine than how the sink is mounted. I have had both, no crud anywhere, because I clean and maintain the seam, either on top or underneath.

ETA...I do find my undermount easier to keep clean though.

This post was edited by dcward89 on Tue, Nov 11, 14 at 12:02