Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
williamsem

Pantry and utility closet...swap? Anyone have 24 in utility?

williamsem
11 years ago

My latest idea is to maybe switch our pantry and ulitily closet. The utility closet has an interior of 31x23, plus I'd be able to keep our onion/potato bin and cases of beverages on the floor. I'm just not sure how using a 24 inch cabinet would work for a utility closet. It would have hold cleaning supplies, lightbulbs, indoor tools, etc. I will probably be able to move our paper plates and utensils to another area with the taller uppers. I would probably use the top part for paper towels and TP, but could also put them in the top of the pantry (current utility) closet.

Has anyone used cabinets for utility storage? I had a hard time finding pics online since 24 inches is the depth of many cabinets. I need to see width of 24 inches, which doesn't seem common at all. Too small?

Here's the almost final layout, pantry and utility are on the far right. Still some other small details to work out, but until my quotes come back I can't make any other final decisions.

Am I crazy? DH is no help here, need some honesty. Any comments would be appreciated!

Comments (3)

• desertsteph
    11 years ago

I'd switch them. I'd find more use for pantry space where I could also keep small appliances, platters and other large items. I also wouldn't have a problem using an upper shelf in it for PT, TP and light bulbs.

I'd rather have a separate space for things like cleaning supplies, tools, broom, mop, dust mop, vac rather than with food items.

• lascatx
    11 years ago

I have a 12" utility next to my exterior door. It is open and has a broom, swiffer, step stool, dog leashes, key holder, flashlight and an outlet for charging. The narrow cabinet above it has a divider and holds some trays and cutting boards. I have stacked cabinets to the ceiling and the one above that is actually part of a larger one that also sits on top of a pantry with rollouts. That is where we store extra PT (TP stays in the bathrooms, light bulbs are in a drawer in the garage -- used to be under my dryer, and batteries are in a hall table drawer), cereal, chips and dog food. I have one drawer for pens, pencils, rubber bands and such and other than that, if we don't eat it or use it for preparing or storing food, I try to keep it out of the kitchen.

I'd rather have the pantry closer to my food prep and not everything in a long line, especially if you have more that one person in the kitchen -- that can be a real bottle neck, but yes, I would make the pantry larger than a utility cabinet or closet.

• williamsem
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ok, suspicions confirmed! Thanks, desertsteph!

Lascatz, how do you fit all that in 12 inches? Pegboard? I thought a lot about where to put the pantry. It is currently where the fridge and pantry are pictured with 12 inch deep fixed shelves and much wasted space. I really want to avoid all tall cabinets on the short wall against the bathroom as it makes the space feel closed in (fridge is currently there). It was hard to decide between having the Advantium next to the fridge or the pantry, and in the end I wanted the pantry by the fridge and to steal the 6 inches for an 18 inch drawer stack vs 12 inch. I agree a straight line isn't ideal, but the space is small, and that's the only option that works without major structural changes or filling up that short wall floor to ceiling. Or we could lose the Advantium, but DH is pretty excited to get one and it's the only thing he's asked be included other than a double sink!

So any additional ideas for making a 24 inch cabinet into utility/cleaning storage? Looks like I can work on converting the utility closet to a pantry while I'm waiting for the remodel to begin, kind of excited about that as it feels like it's starting!