Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
threeapples

Rubber feet on Kohler sink protector are staining sink

threeapples
10 years ago

I have a Whitehaven sink and a Kohler sink protector with little white rubber feet. I clean the sink constantly with the protector removed. Somehow the rubber feet are leaving little yellow circular stains that come off with Kohler cast iron cleaner, but I fear using this daily in those spots will break the finish down. Any thoughts?

Comments (20)

• marissa16
    10 years ago

I use soft scrub gel with bleach to clean the sink and also to clean the bottom of the white rubber feet and seems to work for my Kohler cast iron sink.

• threeapples
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks. This Kohler product seems just like soft scrub. Do you get the yellow stains from the rubber feet on your thing, too?

• marissa16
    10 years ago

I get it some as well. I have a cape dory sink that is a blue green color. I have used both products and actually think the soft scrub gel is a little better and less expensive than the Kohler cleaner. I see it from the top of the feet too and the soft gel does a good job to clean that as well. You just don't want to use anything abrasive because it will dull the finish.

• marissa16
    10 years ago

I get it some as well. I have a cape dory sink that is a blue green color. I have used both products and actually think the soft scrub gel is a little better and less expensive than the Kohler cleaner. I see it from the top of the feet too and the soft gel does a good job to clean that as well. You just don't want to use anything abrasive because it will dull the finish.

• Betty Curtis
    2 years ago

Where does the yellow spots come from. Hoe do I avoid getting them.

• Andreea Avram
    2 years ago

I thought I’m the only one! I get them so bad and now it seems that i have bigger scratches and polish went away even further from the little rubber feet…i think i’m going to give them a call. Not fair after how much i paid and got the protector so it’ll protect the sink not destroying it

• PRO
    StarCraft Custom Builders
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

The yellow spots are evidence that Kohler did not engineer the product carefully for its intended use and/or did not test the feet adequately before sending them on for production. In any event, it is a warranty issue. Contact Kohler and make a claim.

• Aglitter
    2 years ago

Kohler has a problem with the feet that cover its sink grates in workstation models failing prematurely. I have seen this in many showroom working sinks, which is one reason I chose against a Kohler sink in my recent remodel. I would look at ordering multiple replacements and changing them frequently or finding an alternate silicone product to fit that will not degrade as quickly.

• jbcjas
    2 years ago

I had the same issue. I now replace the rubber feet every few months which seems to have helped. You can find them on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08FVPFF3D/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Aglitter
    2 years ago

FYI here is a visual of Kohler's problem.

• Louis Tarmy
    last year

Does anyone know of a silicon rack that would fit this sink? We are having the same issues with staining. We tried replacement feet from Amazon and getting the same issue.

• kingadrian
    7 months ago

I have the yellow stain problem too on my Kohler Whitehaven. I am quite dismayed that Kohler would sell such an inferior product for such an expensive sink.

• PRO
    StarCraft Custom Builders
    7 months ago

@kingadrian

Are your really surprised that Kohler would sell such an inferior product ?

Kohler, Franke, Blanco, Elkay, American Standard, etc. accessories are all made in china, India, Vietnam, and Malaysia. Then for the privilege of being blessed with the Kohler, Franke, Blanco, Elkay, American Standard nameplate, are marked up extensively.

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    7 months ago

I don't have the same grid, but I did have to order replacement rubber feet for mine that were not a standard size, I finally found them at Rubber Feet Warehouse: Rubber Feet, Rubber Grommets, Vibration Isolation Mounts, Washers | Rubberfeetwarehouse

Check them out to see if they have replacements, they have all kinds of off the wall stuff.

(my grid feet are black, BTW -- no problems with staining or marking, ever. I had to replace them because the original ones wore out and the metal was starting to peek through).

• kingadrian
    7 months ago

@StarCraft Custom Builders - I have to admit I love the look of the apron farmhouse sink. I used to have the Shaw Rohl fireclay but not sure what happened, maybe installer over tightened the flange, but crazing were visible everywhere, drove me nuts. So I decided to try the Kohler Whitehaven and so far I have been loving it except for those white feet yellow staining the white sink. I see some scratches from the edges of the grid moving and rubbing against the corners but not as bad as the crazing that my Shaw sink had. Do you have any other recommendation for farmhouse sink that is cast iron?

• kingadrian
    7 months ago

mxk3 z5b_MI - thanks for the links. I will check those rubber feets. Definitely need to find an alternative to the original ones Kohler has.

• RoyHobbs
    7 months ago

This is one of the reasons why I don't use a sink grid. It's also one of the reasons I don't have a cast iron enameled sink, regardless of brand, because they require a sink grid which I do not want. I do have an apron front sink, but it's stainless steel, grid-free, and gratifyingly worry-free.

• kingadrian
    7 months ago

Hi Roy, which one is your stainless sink? Can you share pictures or link? Thanks!

• RoyHobbs
    7 months ago
    last modified: 7 months ago

@kingadrian - it is the Elkay EFRUFF3417R. It is 16 gauge, with the corner drain, and straight apron (not curved apron) which were three requirements that we had. You can get a grid with it if you want, and we actually did buy the grid, but ended up not liking it and not using it. These photos are from online, not my kitchen.

Sponsored
Capital City Construction & Remodeling
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living