Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joaniepoanie

GE responsive to issue...I'm impressed! Xpost

joaniepoanie
10 years ago

Meant to post this here instead of Dec forum....

We have a GE Advantium OTR microwave which was installed 18 mos ago with the remodel..out of warranty now. We seldom use the stovetop, mostly a little on weekends, but DH noticed the handle on the MW was peeling! Obviously the heat from the burner and what was cooking was causing the coating to come off. It looks like a SS handle but is actually plastic. We had visions of peeling "paint" falling into our boiling pasta!
I googled it and sure enough lots of others have experienced the same thing. We were cursing GE up and down for such a poor design and why hadn't there been a recall, why isnt the handle SS, etc...so, I found a customer email and sent them my model # and explained the problem. Within a week, I received a package, but it was a gasket, not a new handle.

So, I called GE this morning and ended up at their Special Programs and Recalls dept. Turns out they have redesigned the handle so it won't peel (hopefully) and a technician is coming next week to install...all free of charge, even though I am no longer under warranty.

Oh, and he explained they can't do a SS handle because it would get too hot if something was cooking underneath....duh! (dumb me!).

Just wanted to say something positive about a company since we always hear complaints.