Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
GE responsive to issue...I'm impressed! Xpost

Posted by joaniepoanie (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 8, 13 at 12:08

Meant to post this here instead of Dec forum....

We have a GE Advantium OTR microwave which was installed 18 mos ago with the remodel..out of warranty now. We seldom use the stovetop, mostly a little on weekends, but DH noticed the handle on the MW was peeling! Obviously the heat from the burner and what was cooking was causing the coating to come off. It looks like a SS handle but is actually plastic. We had visions of peeling "paint" falling into our boiling pasta!
I googled it and sure enough lots of others have experienced the same thing. We were cursing GE up and down for such a poor design and why hadn't there been a recall, why isnt the handle SS, etc...so, I found a customer email and sent them my model # and explained the problem. Within a week, I received a package, but it was a gasket, not a new handle.

So, I called GE this morning and ended up at their Special Programs and Recalls dept. Turns out they have redesigned the handle so it won't peel (hopefully) and a technician is coming next week to install...all free of charge, even though I am no longer under warranty.

Oh, and he explained they can't do a SS handle because it would get too hot if something was cooking underneath....duh! (dumb me!).

Just wanted to say something positive about a company since we always hear complaints.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: GE responsive to issue...I'm impressed! Xpost

I just purchased 2 GE appliances so it was really nice to read your post. Thanks for sharing!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here