Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do any of these cab colors/stains grab you?

Posted by deedles (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 10, 12 at 12:04

With the sink and factoring in the stove. I'd like to be able to use that paper somewhere, too, and I think I have a perfect spot for just a touch of 'art'. Not the whole backsplash anymore.

Photobucket

The cab finish/countertop/backsplash with these appliances has me on a merry-go-round.

(I'm going for an updated, edited rustic leaning towards Grandma cozy and maybe a bit of arts and crafts if that makes any sense)
The ceiling will be knotty pine tongue and groove like this:
Photobucket

and I WILL paint it if I have to. We're now leaning more towards cork flooring, after the marmoleum debacle, if that matters at this point.

This is a close-up of the actual sink if that helps:

Photobucket

And to complicate matters, I have a serious case of like for this onyx and marble mosiac tile:

Photobucket

Anything? Am I beyond help at this point?

Additional cab suggestion are welcome.

Worked nights. Going to bed now. Will check back later for my GW fueled cab epiphany! (fingers crossed)

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do any of these cab colors/stains grab you?

My vote is for the dark gray. To me, it makes the colors in the sink/backsplash/ceiling POP!

o

My vote is for the dark gray. To me, it makes the colors in the sink/backsplash/ceiling POP!

o

Top row, #1-second from right, #2-middle. Although I just got white cabs, that's what I would have next time.

o

Deedles - seeing that sink makes me regret not doing something that gorgeous. So exciting - you are making progress!

I like the white, first cherry in second row and possibly the gray - but might just be too dark in large quantities (OK, so would the cherry - but warmer)

Can you add some more pictures with the BS between the cabs and sink.

What faucet are you going to use? It is crying for a Waterstone like Poohpups.

o

I love the only one with the handles. Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous.

o

the ceiling would be the "biggest player" in my experience/opinion. I'd go with the white.....you'd get a sandwich effect with the base cabs in some of those shown. You could insert a couple gray cabs at the wall/or vary in another way of your choosing/taste if you first start with the white/or cream. it'll be wonderful,whatever you pick-avoid tediousness that can happen over time with heavy colors/surfaces/pigments.

o

I don't know, but it seems like a wood tone that picks up on the color of the trees in your artsy wallpaper would be nice. I don't like the cabinets with the red tones, but that might just be my bias showing.

I'm having real trouble envisioning the gray/cool cabinets with the warmth you have going in your sink, et al. I worry a bit about that gray clashing with your range.

I also think that the tile you are in love with picks up some of the tones of the range and wallpaper, which seems good, right? I just worry a bit about it with the sink.

I'm a sucker for white cabinets, but it doesn't seem to fit the rustic-touch-of-arts/crafts that you are striving for. To me, nothing says arts and crafts like wood cabinets.

o

Without consideration of the ceiling, I like the cabinet with handles best with your sink.

The knotty pine ceiling, if installed new can be stained any color. I think its important to tie the ceiling to the cabinets, whether its matchy or a bit lighter or darker. Haven't attempted to stain my knotty pine beams and trim yet, but I'll be keeping my stain color in the brown family. You could leave the ceiling natural and I think it would be less of a consideration for tying into cabinets. Or the white cabinets are a safe choice.

o

I played around with Paint and cut the paper and moved it around the different choices. Doing it that way I liked the second from the left top row. .

o

1st choice:
Second from right, on top.
2nd choice:
Far right, on top.

o

The one with the handles! It looks great with either backsplash...and all the other features, in the room. At least, that's my two cents :)

o
Floor

Hmmm, cork. Very nice under foot (or so I read) but what about upkeep? I've seen great, good and not so good...but isn't that true with everything?

What about a stone look? Maybe use the gray there and have a tile or stone feel to balance all the wood? Just an idea...

o

i usually go for white kitchens, bu there I'd say (1) second right top row; and (2) top right. Gorgeous sink!

o

Love all your selections. i vote for the one with the handles (because the wood is so rich) or the one to its right (because its beautiful and rustic and may echo the lines in the ceiling. Can you tell us what the one with the handles is?

o

I'm not a big white-kitchen person these days (my last two were white and I'm currently whited-out these days and chose colored cabs my own recent reno), but in your space I actually like the white cabs best by far. They will let your sink and range be the stars, and not darken the room too much re. your pine ceiling.

In a vacuum I do like the one with handles and the gray one (2nd from right on each row) best, but with all the other details in your kitchen including the ceiling and backsplash, I would do the white for sure. And I think the white makes your sink look spectacular!

o

I think stained, not painted cabinets are more in keeping with the feeling you are going for. I like the last 2 in the first row. My first choice is the last one.
I do think you might need to paint the ceiling a light color however, and I would probably do a white, like atrium white which has a hint of pink, and would flatter the warmth of the copper sink.
What direction are you leaning for countertop?

o

I'm up! So, up to this point here are the choices from most votes to least. I took out the two that had NO votes. I'm not sure that tile works anywhere near the sink (boo-hoo), at least in the pics but it might in real life.

Photobucket

Here is a pic of the actual ceiling that DH put up in the entry. You can see it's lighter than the first pic posted above.
It would be this MINUS the beams in the kitchen. As I said, I WILL paint it if I have to (guessing that would be a white or cream color). That light fixture was one that was in the house (70's era remodel) so it may or may not stay there. Call me sick in the head but some part of me likes it there. It's VINTAGE man!

Photobucket

anyway, the quarter-sawn cabs seem to be winning handily with 7 votes to the next highest which is the knotty alder with 3. Painted all have one or two except white which has 3.

o

Another vote for the cabinet with the handles! As others have already said, I think it compliments your other kitchen elements best, and it seems to give the vibe that you are going for. Although, I might change my vote depending on the wall and floor color...have they been decided?

o

Local eater: you can see your top picks moved into the #1 and 2 spots now. The wood ceiling with wood stained cabs and cork floor seems like TOO MUCH WOOD so I am also inclined to paint the ceiling if I go with wood cabs. But maybe someone can show me why I'm wrong on that.
The ceiling that we actually have now (second ceiling pic) is much lighter but will yellow over time.
Lav: no stone or tile on the floor with our bad backs. We have always liked cork and a recent thread on here led us to order samples and we both agree that we like it. 98% sure the cork will be throughout the public areas of the house.

o

I like the one with the handles, the oak without question. The painted cabinets kill the sink, except for the butter which I like. Have you tried a natural maple? It might be too light. I like the sample of sink with the onyx you showed. With the stove I like the medium toned woods in the top row. Does the doug fir go best with the ceiling?

o

Bellajourney: see my answer above re: ceiling color. Cork floor color isn't decided. Probably will come after cab choice is made?

o

Enduring: the beams in the ceiling are either doug fir or cedar, DH can't tell. Either way I think they look great with the pine.

o

deedles-lonely vote for the douglas fir. From my monitor I think it pulls the same tone from the picture and the backsplash. The oak looks a bit deeper to me (not bad just deeper). That backsplash and sink are AWESOME! Love the mosaic!

disclaimer: I am not even close to being a professional but wanted to comment on your cool choices so I thought I'd vote. ;)

o

Autumn4: Not lonely, now your vote tied the doug fir with the knotty alder. Still behind the q/s oak but tied for second place. I love the mosaic too. I hope it works IRL with the sink.

o

Deedles- Arts and Crafts does have a lot of wood. I like the wood ceiling, with the cabinets...and the light fixture is great! It almost looks older than the 70s, at least in the picture.

If you leave the ceiling the lighter wood, have darker wood cabinets...what are you thinking for the cork? Is it only in wood tones, or are there any colors? And, where are the trees going? I still like that backsplash the best...it's beautiful!

o

Lav: OH the colors that globus cork floors offer! Poor DH but I sense that my subconscious mind is already plotting a cork floor with some color for the kitchen. Probably go with one color cork plank for the entry and living room and then the kitchen could be that color with the addition of color inlay of some sort. Colors TBD.

My thoughts for the trees are this: if you remember the U plan? I have plans for a shallow pantry on the wall inside the U, along the lines of this and I thought the trees would be beautiful inside that backsplash.

o

Deedles, Too much wood in my kitchen is something I worry about too. They start installing my cabinets on Wednesday so I guess I will know soon. Clearly I think it can work, or I wouldn't have made the choices I did. Don't know if you recall, but my house is the post and beam. The beams are reddish stained fir and pretty sizeable. They run around the kitchen ceiling perimeter, across the ceiling with drywall in between and then they come down as posts with knee joists in two corners. My perimeter cabinets will be natural walnut, my island is painted a dusky olive, my floors are natural ash. I think it will work because none of the elements is ornate, they are clean lines. There is a lot of open space because I have very few uppers, lots of natural light, and a light countertop, and wall color. I wanted it to be warm, cozy, and calm. I hope it works as well as I think it will.
Coincidentally at the end of my kitchen is our dining area and a step down sunroom, which if I recall correctly you also have.
For your cork floor, did you get samples of the Globus cork? Did you get any of the green tones, they might be fabulous in your space and a good counterpoint to stained cabinetry. I think the tone should be equal but the hue should be greenish,(hope I used those words correctly I have such a mind block on them) I think no yellow undertones would work best.

o

Localeater: I kind of remember your space. Okay, found your thread about the window trim issue. Sounds like your choices will be wonderful in there. Gorgeous beams! Can't wait to see your cab install, too.

Globus has 2 'greens' and the forest is the only one that looks decent with the stove.
Below is a link to the colors if you are interested, I can't seem to grab the image. I think we're somewhere in the amber pine, cherry, red or brown mahogany area for colors. At least at this point in time.

I do have a step down porch, too. That floor will be done like this (DH's idea and I love it):

Photobucket

The kitchen floor will have to visually 'flow' down to this cordwood floor, so the color design will need to be subtle, I think.

Here is a link that might be useful: cork floor colors

o

Wow, I saw the floor on Houzz and fell in love with it. I am so excited for you that you are getting it, it will be amazing.

o

Another vote for the quarter-sawn oak. It looks lovely with everything. I can't wait to see your kitchen when it's done. Highly anticipated!

o

Love the douglas fir, sink and ceiling presentations. Look forward to seeing this kitchen come together!

o

Thanks everyone that has weighed in, I appreciate it and it's helping me figure this out.

o

Playtime! :)

The mockups are based on a photo with quarter sewn oak cabinets, as it was one of the front runners, vote-wise. (I must admit that after seeing your image with the cabinets next to the stoves, I am liking the douglas fir as well.)

Here are versions:
A) with the wallpaper,
B) without it (since the wallpaper will be separated from the backsplash in a stand alone hutch, it seemed important to see the backsplash by itself - it looked too busy right next to the wallpaper), and
C) with plain subway tiles that were in the original photo.

qso04

IMHO, (I have very simple taste), I like how the plain subway tile lets your stove and sink be the stars. My eye immediately goes to them in the photo. In the center mosaic backsplash photo, the colors all work nicely together, but my eye jumps around from the backsplash to the stove and sink.

Has a countertop been chosen yet? Hardware? If you'd like to "try on" a countertop, a particular cork floor, etc., just say the word. :)

o

Is there still time to vote... in these early hours of the morn ?
Since you are painting the ceiling it won't compete with the cabs so I like the knotty alder first or the QS oak with a few colored cabinets(not gray or white)scattered around. I would pick a color from your sink for an open cupboard for cookbooks or old kitchen utensils(sifters, ricers etc).

o

Bella-were you really up @3:45am doing those mock-ups ? Don't forget Angie's BS !!! :0 you're mock ups are great...

o

My original vote was for the Douglas fir, but once I saw them each next to the stoves I think I like the knotty alder slightly better. The stain color looks nicer with the stove and also looks quite nice with the sink.

o

Bella! OMGoodness! How do you DO that? That's awesome! I saw your tile work on Angies thread but how do you turn a stove and make it look so much like a real room? Freaky awesome! Wow. wow wow. I'll be back, i just have to stare at this for a bit.

Thanks! Gee, I feel like I was just given a great present to unwrap!

o

Okay, initial thoughts: I agree with you fully, Bella on the backsplash. White, simple, yes. While I like the tile, seeing it with the stove and sink, you're right, it makes my eye jump. The white backsplash is 'restful'. L.O.V.E. it.

Also, seeing the pine ceiling up there allays my fears about too much wood. The lighter ceiling and the darker cabs work nicely together. And, as an aside, that range hood in the picture is perfect and ties the stove in with the cabinets much better than what I was picturing. I'm thinking if we go with q/s oak, or fir, or something knotty... any of them would work if the stain is medium-ey brown like this pic shows. Funny, the layout in that kitchen is exactly how it's set up now. We'll be moving the stove but it REALLY helps me to visualize where I want to go with this. Can I say thank you again? Really, it's so nice of you to take the time to do this for people.

*sheepish tone of voice*--Is there anyway for you to insert a white-ish countertop in there?

eatrealfood: I agree with your color thoughts and I'm going to have a shallow, free-standing pantry/hutch setup that will (probably)be painted some color (TBD) and will have the tree paper in the 36x18 backsplash area for more color yet. I no longer think I have to paint the ceiling thanks to Bella's rendition. I think the pine is light enough to work as I said just above.

Angela: I keep going back and forth between knotty alder, q/d oak and fir. I guess it's between those 3 and have to get some samples and see how each looks IRL.

I love GW!

o

if there's still time to vote...

#1. knotty alder but without bead board insert, just plain like QS doors

#2. QS

like #2 better for the color and not as much going on in the wood..its a little quieter.

love the mock ups...agree with comments about the subway, i llke it better than the mosaics.

let the oven and sink shine. that sink is awesome, for me that would the "star"...just so beautiful...sigh....

hope this makes sense..its going to be fab!!!

best of luck !

o

EATREALFOOD - Lol! Yes, I was up in the wee hours of the morning (long story) - I couldn't sleep so figured I would play a bit. I promise not to forget Angie! From her last post she's going to try a few real life mockups - I can't wait to see them and would be happy to help out more if she wants. :)

deedles - Aww, you're most welcome! I really enjoy doing these mockups - it's so fun to see the pieces together, and best of all - I love being able to help! (I've gotten sooo much terrific advice and help on GW, and am happy to give back a bit!) So glad you like the simple tiles, and I agree that the ceiling definitely works. Sure - I can work on adding in a whiteish countertop - was there anything in particular that you are thinking of?

o

sprtphntc: Good point about the 'quieter' wood grain of the q/s vs. knotty. Maybe I'll have enough knots in the ceiling and should go with the more neutral oak or fir grain. Thanks for your comments on the sink. Sometimes the visual dominance of the sink has frustrated me since it dictates a certain design direction that I've struggled against... but, seeing it in the mock-up pics has been such a relief! To see that it does work and will work beautifully in the big picture and it wasn't an awful impulse purchase is a mental load off.

o

How do you do that, Bella? I struggle to even get an idea of my counter top with the rest.

And, Deedles, she has done a mighty thing for you. I like how the stove looks with that cabinetry, too

o

bellajourney: I don't have a definite idea in my head about the counter but I keep thinking about something whitish. This pic was like a Cupid's arrow in my heart when I first saw it. The gal at that company said it's limestone but something along those lines, colorwise?:

Photobucket

o

donaleen - The way I mock them up involves a bunch of layers, and tweaking the shapes, sizes, and colors of the layers in Photoshop. (My computer geek DH got me started with Photoshop many years ago, and for the past few years we've been working on our fixer upper home which has given me a Lot of practice with Photoshop mockups while trying out ideas for our house.)

deedles - Ooooh. That countertop is beautiful! One thing I noticed is that it has a wood backsplash, instead of a white one. So I did one mockup keeping the white subway tiles, and one with a wood backsplash. I also got rid of the soapstone backsplash behind your lovely sink - it competed with it too much. I'm not sure yet which of the 3 looks I like best...what do you think?

qso07

o

Bella: you have just made my day with this picture thing. SOO much fun!

I think I like the original one best, actually.

My window over the sink (which will be almost exactly like the one shown except it will be 3 vertical panes over one instead of the 6 squares over the one) will be down to the counter with no BS behind it... I wonder if that would make a difference with the white counters? The dark counters seem to 'ground' the whole thing somehow?

Whichever, I really like the white back splash best.

o

deedles - SO glad you're having fun! I'm having a blast too! :)

Is this what your window behind the sink will look like, roughly? (I brought it down to the sink, but I'm not sure if I got the 3 vertical panes right.)

qso08

After having looked at the 3 images for awhile, I agree with you about liking the original soapstone counter image best. The wood backsplash, while pretty, is a bit too much wood/too dark. I like how the white(ish) subway tiles brighen things up. I also like how the soapstone offers contrast to the white backsplash; and if you're planning on using dark hardware - that would tie beautifully into the soapstone (or whatever dark countertop material you choose) as well. (My countertop vote would be soapstone, both for the tone you're going for, and b/c I'm a big soapstone fan and hope to have it in my kitchen one day!)

o

Sorry I'm late voting. Quarter sawn, soapstone, subway tile. You must use that wall paper somewhere....

o

The left picture, two posts up. Gorgeous!

o

Could you add in a simple design over the stove that included some of the colors from the stove and sink? I like the dark counters better, with the simple tile backsplash for what it's worth.

o

Quarter sawn, soapstone, subway tile.

The left picture, two posts up. Gorgeous!

Oooh, I agree. I officially change my vote from white cabs to the above quarter-sawn, with the white subways and dark countertops. That is one stunning looking kitchen!

o

Love the quarter-sawn oak and the darker counters. Not a big soapstone fan but it looked fab in that mockup. But subway tiles . . . . . . . ????? NOOOOOOOO!!!!! I thought that mosaic looked FABULOUS!!!!!!!! I'm sorry, and don't mean to offend, but the subway tiles look so boring and your kitchen has so many wonderful elements that just don't go with boring. I've never understood that whole "only one clown" thing that people like to toss around. I think all the elements in the kitchen need to work with each other, but that doesn't mean one has to be boring, plain, simple just because something else is fab.

I feel so much better that I got to put that out there. It's just my opinion.

So glad to hear you're not planning on painting that ceiling because it is GORGEOUS!! Your kitchen is going to be breathtaking and I love your choices. I can't help it, really love that mosaic in your space. Love the wallpaper too.

o

Bella: That is almost exactly the windows we've chosen for the house. Ours are in a chestnut (dark) stain but otherwise that's it. And, we're building that range hood, too. I decided that today. Will hold off on that announcement for awhile, though, lol.

That's my kitchen. Dark counter, white or cream BS (possibly tile, possibly vertical wide planks painted) QS or fir, but that QS is looking really good.

You have no idea how much mental energy you have saved me on this. I owe you one. Or two.

DebraK: The paper is going to be used in the backsplash of a hutch set-up like this:

Photobucket

Uh, hopefully it looks a little better IRL but it'll be in the kitchen as a stand-alone on one wall of the U. No idea as to the color of the hutch yet, but I think I'd like it painted.

nosoccermom: seems to be unanimous!

Sandra: Was actually playing around with something like that in my head today. Kind of wanted a stainless panel for ease of cleaning but something like that might be a nice touch.

Taggie: vote change noted!

o

Excellent!

o

Oh Pooh! I don't think the mosaic is staying :(

I do like it.

However. I'm leaning more towards painted wide planks.. well, like 5" wide or random widths. Anyway. I was thinking about incorporating some kind of art tile inset into each section of BS. Something that works with the paper in style but doesn't compete. Maybe even tone on tone. What would you think about that?

Anyway, I'm afraid to say the word 'tile' around DH. He still hasn't recovered from the pebble tile bathroom floor.

o

deedles - Oh wow - you're going to build the range hood in the photo!? How exciting! (What a stroke of luck for that particular photo to be chosen - or maybe it was simply meant to be!)

It's funny that you should mention a wide plank backsplash - that's been my current front runner for our kitchen for months now. (Although, I'm thinking I'm going to give subway tiles a whirl too - I like the high gloss and how it adds a bit of sparkle.)

Anyway - here's a mockup with some wide planks for you. (I didn't attempt the random widths since there are sooo many variations to choose from - if there is one that calls out to you, let me know.)

qso09

And, for some more food for thought - have you considered maybe a shade of green for the hutch? (Playing on EATREALFOOD's idea of repeating a color from your sink.)

qsohutch

The backsplash art inset is an interesting idea. I like your thought of tone on tone, to keep it subtle. Or to make it Extremely subtle, maybe even the same tone as the backsplash. Any thoughts on what art you would use?

o

Still love the mosaic but have to say that I really like the wide planks too. They are a huge improvement over the subway tiles! LOVE the green for the hutch. It really sets off the wallpaper. I think they both work but I'm particularly loving the darker green. Just beautiful!

bellajourney, your photoshop skills are amazing! You're such a wonderful person to spend time doing this. I think it has especially helped deedles because I think she was second guessing her decision to use her copper sink. Your skills have shown her just how wonderful everything is going to look together and her sink and Chambers range are going to be gorgeous together. What a wonderful way to pay it forward for the help you've received here. :)

Deedles, your kitchen is going to be really special. Just can't wait until it's done!

o

Bella: Whoa, planks look great! (You know, I was thinking about you last night and your great skills with photoshop. I think there has to be a business in there for you.)
As far as inset tiles, I found these today and thought there were nice. What do you think about these?
(I'll bet Lavender would approve)

Photobucket

Pooh: I'm glad you like the planks. I really like them and so does DH. It suits the rustic river cabin thing that I'm going for. AND, I don't have to say 'tile' to him, lol.

Green might be a good choice for the hutch. Def. want to pull from the paper. And work with the stove since the hutch is basically right next to the stove in the U. That is still TBD, I guess.

Your right about Bella, such a nice thing to do and I can't say how much time this has shaved off my agonizing! I was starting to question that sink and how it fit into the whole thing.

o

Deedles, the more I look at the pictures, the more I like the planks. I think you're right that they give that rustic river vibe. I think it will look even better with the varied widths.

Out of those tiles, I like the birds and then the dragonfly. How were you planning to use them?

o

Deedles, the more I look at the pictures, the more I like the planks. I think you're right that they give that rustic river vibe. I think it will look even better with the varied widths.

Out of those tiles, I like the birds and then the dragonfly. How were you planning to use them?

o

I was thinking they could be in the plank backsplash. Like cut a hole in the wood and stick the tile to the drywall. Probably make a wood 'frame' to finish around the tile/wood juncture. Maybe stained wood or white frame. Just my thoughts today, not set in stone.

Here is my pitiful rendition of the backsplash with a tile.

Photobucket

o

Love those planks. Not a fan of the tile with the planks though. But I sure do LOVE LOVE LOVE that light green hutch playing off the sink and range. Gorgeous look.

o

Hey Bella? I feel sheepish about asking but I have to: would you be willing to do one more pic showing a stainless countertop? I just want to be able to rule it out.

If you can, no hurry though. Whenever it works for you.

Thank you!

o

Bellajourney really is amazing!
Deedles, one nice thing about a wood backsplash is that it is easy to hang stuff on so if you like the tiles you could frame and hang them without making a permanent commitment. I really like the quartersawn oak, soapstone, and darker pulls. Not sure which backsplash as several look nice but I do like the wide plank better than the small beadboard. The silver and glass pulls and knobs look a bit out of place with the other elements imo.

o

Hey deedles! Sure, I can work on a stainless countertop mockup. :) My laptop died yesterday, and I'm using an old, slow one at the moment, which set me back work-wise. Once I do a little bit of catch up with my work, I can play with the mockup again later today. (How I would LOVE to be able to play with mockups all day as my "job" - does such a job exist!? Sign me up!)

Hmmm - the hutch will be right next to the stove? I'm not sure if I'd prefer it green then. =/ I wish I knew how to use a 3D rendering program so I could mockup the exact layout of your kitchen. DH knows how to use one...maybe he can teach me... :)

I am in TOTAL agreement with athomeinva! (And thank you,athomeinva, for the compliment!) If you want to add touches of art, hanging them would be Perfect (I've seen another kitchen with beadboard and frames hung on it - I'll have to look for it). And I also like how the dark hardware fits into the color scheme. When I mockup the stainless countertops, I'll include stainless hardware too, so you can see the whole picture, and compare it with the soapstone/dark hardware.

Poohpup - Oh my goodness, such kind words. Thank you so much! :)

o

The photo on the right is the one I was remembering with framed art hung on the beadboard. And, in my "beadboard backsplash" file I also had the left photo where they hung decorative plates on the wood backsplash.

hangart

o

Deedles, I much prefer the idea of you hanging framed tiles on the BS rather than incorporating them into the BS. And I don't think it's just because of the commitment to the tile, I just think it will look better. Definitely like the added benefit that you can move them around and change them out. 3M makes really great strips you can use to hang the tiles without damaging the BS. Love the picture of the plates hung on the plank BS above.

Bella, there has to be a job in this for you. There are so many people who struggle with envisioning how different materials will work together.

o

I originally planned to hang framed tile behind my range but never found the right ones so I have a large watercolor there instead. Although my backsplash is wide plank it has a small bead in the middle, not exactly the original plan but it is what it is.

pic2009

o

Great job Bella!

Love the oak cabs and the green (lighter I think) hutch. How about the white counters on the hutch?

o

Thanks Bella! Whenever is fine. My laptop died recently, too. Well, after I fell asleep with a travel mug full of coffee AT my laptop and the coffee went IN my laptop. Dang it. And yes, the U is--Hutch=right leg, stove-bottom leg, prep sink peninsula-left leg. Fridge/clean up sink=straight run across the aisle from U top. That puts the lighter green kinda out, IMO. Still maybe a very dark green would work. Or something else.

athomeinva: That is probably the best way to do the BS. I do like to change things up after awhile...

I like the dark pulls, too. I have a gob of those vintage glass knobs... and they are BIG ones so I'd like to use them on the uppers if it works out.

okay. :)

o

Pooh: yes, I've reached the same conclusion re: tile. I like to change things like that too much to commit.
I also think Bella could find a business doing this for people. How much would you pay to have someone show you finished kitchens with this amount of detail when you spend that amount of $$ on a redo or new build? I mean, really.

athomeinva: Hey! That looks familiar, lol. Beautiful! I guess I'm channeling your kitchen. What are your cabs (wood/finish)? They're beautiful!

Lisa_WI: I have a big, old plank from the attic of a house I used to own... it's QS oak, approx. 12" wide and like 8 ft. long? DH screeched a bit when he found it laying up there and we've been storing it ever since to use somewhere, someday. He figured it was left over from when the house was built in 1890 something. Anyway, I was hoping to use that on the hutch, maybe. Always said we'd never cut it unless it was for something wonderful and special. What area of WI are you in? I'm over by the Fox cities.

o

Deedles that makes sense about the countertop. What is the color of the stove? Is it yellow or pale green? I'm in Kohler.

o

The stove is pale green. Too close in color to the lighter pic hutch to work, IMO.

I think I asked you where you were once already... and if you had ever been to the Ann Sacks tile place at The American Club? Wasn't that you. My memory...... :>P

o

I am prepared to hire BellaJ today. I was last week, too. The renditions are incredibly helpful, especially for those of us who are not great at visualizing accurately. I am one of those people.

o

Deedles yes you did ask before and yes I've been there :) have you been to the Design Center? We were there again last week for the unveiling of Mick De Giulios new kitchen space. DH worked on a kitchen sink design with him that is used in the space so I got to meet Mick ;)

o

I was at the design center last February, but there were only a couple of kitchens, as I remember. The bathrooms were unbelievable, though! I'd like to go back there. Maybe I can talk DH into going over for brunch in the Wisconsin room and then a walk through the design center again and check out the new kitchen. Sorry for the repeat question. Hopefully I'll retain it this time, lol.

o

Just a quick note to say that work was crazy busy today - I will work on the new mockup (and reply to everyone) tomorrow. I'm sorry! :(

o

Thanks Deedles. Sorry the pic is so durn big, I resized it once but it was still big then photobucket said it could no longer access it so I gave up.
My cabinets are natural cherry that have been in for 3 and a half years so they have darkened a good bit. I really like the cherry but quartersawn oak is prob my favorite wood of all. Do you have your plan posted here?

o

Deedles,
Just wanted to say I am loving this thread.
Quarter sawn oak is my fav along with the simple backsplash.
And all the ideas make me realize I have been away from GW too long.
Looking foward to seeing this lovely design come together.

~boxerpups

o

Boxerpups! where have you been? Nice to see your post:)

o

deedles I'm not sure how the tile stores are in the Fox Cities, but Etched in Stone in Manitowoc was great. I didn't end up getting my tile there but the designer there is the one who helped me figure out I liked the quartzite. I should have skipped the Mke stores and just gone there!

Here is a link that might be useful: Etched in Stone

o

Oh gosh Bella, don't worry about it, please. I can almost picture stainless anyway... almost...

athomeinva: your pic didn't seem too big to me. I do like cherry, I must say. If it wasn't for the tendency to the orange-ish with the pine ceiling, I'd probably be picking cherry like yours. Really gorgeous.

Boxerpups!! So happy to see you are still out there! I've thought of you often. Glad you like the choices thus far. We've been having a lot of fun with Bella's crazy photoshop skillz...

So happy to see you, though!

o

Lisa: you must have missed my thread on the nightmarish tile store nearest to me... yeekk. Your tile is really perfect for that kitchen....I just think it's fabulous! You got a lot of bang for the buck with that.

athomeinva: I'll do an updated layout.

o

Okay - here's the stainless. I'm not sure the mockup accurately portrays what stainless would Really look like, sooo much depends on lighting and reflection. I did the best I could, but I'm not 100% happy with it. (I lighened up the backsplash too, since it looked really off with the warmer backsplash in the soapstone version.)

qsostainless04

Here are my thoughts - I think the glass knobs look cute - but they are attention grabbing. If you want to use them, maybe do the uppers only, or save them for a special place, like the hutch. I'm not loving the pulls with the rest of the kitchen elements (too cold). They would fit in better if they were pewter, or black (like the soapstone version). The stainless, while pretty, doesn't seem like the right feel for a rustic / arts and crafts kitchen. If you want more of a gray countertop color, you could still do soapstone, and just not oil it (although I do like the contrast the black counter provides).

Poohpup - When you wrote, "There are so many people who struggle with envisioning how different materials will work together." - I immediately thought - Yes! And I am one of them! I have such a hard time picturing things, and have countless mockups of our home so I could try different looks out and pick my favorite.

lisa wi - Thanks! :)

deedles - Ugh - so sorry to hear that your laptop died too. Yeah, I agree that if the hutch is next to the stove, the light green is out. I've got to figure out how to do a mockup with the exact layout so you can better judge what color hutch would look best - I think I'm going to need to learn a new program for that. Oh drat - I just realized that you were only planning on using the glass knobs on the uppers. I can make a new mockup if you want. Just let me know.

Steph2000 - I'm so flattered!! I'm really excited about the idea of somehow turning making mockups into a career. I would get to play all day! How fun! But I definitely don't have the career aspect of it figured out yet. I'd be happy to help you make a mockup as well. You could post your images on a new thread, or email them to me. Whatever you prefer. :)

o

Alrighty then. Stainless is out. Dark something is in. I love that you were able to put the glass knobs on the doors! I do want to use them on the uppers only and maybe the hutch, too. Bella, I salute you. You've given me a clear vision of where I'm going and what I'm using for the main surfaces of that kitchen. I can move forward cleanly now and I thank you so much.

I'm working on my final graph paper layout right now. When I'm done I'll post.

o

You're so very welcome! Can't wait to see the layout! (And if you want help mocking up anything else, floors, different hardware, etc. - just let me know.) :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here