Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lauragirl

finished kitchen - from freakishly small to functional

lala girl
13 years ago

Hi everyone - I have so enjoyed looking at all of the smart, gorgeous kitchens on this site AND have learned so much from folks on this site, I thought I would share my finished kitchen.

We live in a 1920's house that had a tiny kitchen and a poorly designed family room and garage that was added on at some point in the '70's. We lived in the house for about 6 yrs before working with an architect to improve the layout and move the kitchen (we also added a mater suite above and addressed the exterior of the addition so it blends more with the original home). The kitchen was so small, we simply added it on the our existing DR.

We moved the kitchen into the space that had been a 1970's family room and then added a family room to what used to be a (weirdly enormous) patio. Arches that mimic those in the front of the house connect the new part to the old. My overall approach was everything wood leans historical (gothic cabs, big moldings, chunky window trim, etc) and everything metal (faucets, hardware) leans modern. Anyway, THANK YOU for everyone's help and collective genius! laura

old kitchen

{{!gwi}}

with a crazy layout!

{{!gwi}}

new kitchen

love our chunky and curvy and functional(!) hood

a shot of the kitchen and new family room

Here is our dining room now, the old kitchen went from the far wall to the left of the window.

Again, thanks for everything!!

Comments (56)

• rhome410
    13 years ago

Uh...WOW. "Functional" is the classic of understatements here! A whole different house. I love how the kitchen connects with the cozy family space. I want to know more about those cabinets to the left of your fridge. They look enormous and wonderfully useful.

• sabjimata
    13 years ago

Laurainlincoln....I have been waiting for your kitchen reveal for a while! You have been teasing us with pics here and there.

I LOVE your hood. What hood is it? It totally mimics the huge PN bin pulls you have going on. Chunk chunk. Love it all!

I love the scale of your choices....it is such a simple, minimalistic space with ginormous details! Do you wear understated clothes with big jewelry? I just love your picks! Simultaneously refined yet outrageous!

Enjoy the new space!

• TxMarti
    13 years ago

Wow, you did practically a whole house remodel. It looks fantastic. I love the way the spaces flow now.

• gobruno
    13 years ago

I love it! I love your entire house. Do you mind telling me where you got the bird painting over your couch? It's beautiful!

• lisa_a
    13 years ago

Wow, wow, wow! Serene but not stodgy. Traditional and yet hip. Nicely done.

Count me as another fan of those cool bar stools. Very George Jetson. And I lust after your arches! (if I was anywhere but in the kitchen forum, that would sound quite forward, LOL)

• cat_mom
    13 years ago

Wow--what a big difference!!! I'll bet you are lovin' all that extra space (enjoy!).

• lala girl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you guys for all of your super nice words - I really appreciate it! I was not going to post the kitchen bc I was all twitchy and nervous about it (there are some seriously talented folks on here) but DH convinced me (well, actually guilted me) since I had benefited so much from seeing everyone's ideas on here. So pay it forward I guess. :)

Melaska - Thanks so much! I did the design/decorating myself, which is why I was a little unsure about posting. No one where I live does white kitchens much less all glass uppers, so everyone pretty much thought I had lost my mind (includ the architect).

rhome - Coming from no storage in my old kitchen, I do appreciate those cabinets - the middle one is a pantry and the one on the left has the TV on top and storage for board games and art supplies for my boys below.

Sabji - I totally covet your kitchen, so your nice words mean a lot! The hood is a Vent A Hood and I love its chunky roundness. The appliance guy kept telling me that "NO ONE orders the barrel shaped hood" followed by "Are you really sure that is that one you want??" Um, yes appliance-man-who-does-not-live-in-my-house, that is the one I want. Seriously?

gobruno - I actually made the bird canvases - just oversized artist canvases with a stencil and leftover paint. It was cheap and easy. :-)

And seriously thanks again for your nice words!

The stools are from CB2 (less than $200 :-))

• jejvtr
    13 years ago

Laura

What a lovely new space! Great job, and you did the design & the decorating. Talented & busy woman.

Love your pendants in DR, are they orig?

2 faucets? must have 2 cookers in your house....

love your smart vintage collections - and your birds how crafty

Enjoy

• wizardnm
    13 years ago

You get a big WOW from me, I love it all! A great blend of modern and historical. A very hip space.

Love the stools and duel Karbons.

• cj47
    13 years ago

I love that bread box! I also love the bin pulls--very nicely done. It's a beautiful space.

Cj

• steff_1
    13 years ago

Wow! Your very thoughtful reno true to the original house with updated function and modern touches is just right. It's beautiful.

So glad you were talked into posting the final.

• Yvonne B
    13 years ago

What an amazing difference! It's beautiful!! Thank your husband for guilting you.

• isletwoisle
    13 years ago

Very stylish - love how you pull off contemporary and comfortable throughout the spaces. It's really fabulous.

• nikit
    13 years ago

Absolutely gorgeous. I love the airy feel. I especially love the slab backsplash, your bird canvases, and the pendants!

• petra66_gw
    13 years ago

Very inspirational kitchen!!

• calypsochick
    13 years ago

It's beautiful and elegant! Love the countertop.

• sunshinekitch
    13 years ago

I've lurked for a long time but this is my first posting. Your kitchen is absolutely wonderful and prompted me to post. I have been wrestling with my design which has to include a peninsula. Do you mind telling me what your dimensions are both for the counter and the cabinets underneath? Also, what is your range? Thank you for posting.

• paintergirl94
    13 years ago

Beautiful!!

• drjoann
    13 years ago

Gorgeous! Love the pendants over the dining room table along with the Gothic arches on the cabinets.

Jo Ann

• pip
    13 years ago

Stunning! The transformation of your entire space is impressive. And I especially love the madre perla. Congratulations on a beautiful finished kitchen!

• rhome410
    13 years ago

I guessed that must be what those cabinets by the fridge did for you. I'm jealous, as we could use some better game storage and a more attractive place for the TV...ANd a way to hide it!

Truly inspired...and inspiring....idea for your artwork! It looks fantastic!!!!

• mbw1
    13 years ago

That is simply gorgeous!!

• sabjimata
    13 years ago

RE: the hood...LOVE an underdog!

• flwrs_n_co
    13 years ago

Laura, I'm so happy you posted your finished kitchen! I hope you'll take the time to post your kitchen in the FKB so it will be easy for others to find in the future.

I love your new space--all of it!! Where to begin--the arches (both doorways & on cabs), the floor, counter, sink, faucets, lighting, and (of course) those stools! I noticed you don't have lights over your sink--do you find that the recessed lighting which looks like it would be behind your back (or maybe it's right over you at the sink?) casts shadows on what you're working on at the sink? I'm also interested in what kind of stove you chose. I think you've done a masterful job of blending traditional and modern to wind up with such a welcoming & obvously extremely functional space. Your dining room is also fantastic! Oh, I also love the bread box and your enamel pitchers! I'm sure you'll enjoy your whole house reno for many years to come!

PS Please, please, please put your kitchen along with all the details in the FKB!!

• elizpiz
    13 years ago

What everyone said - beautiful kitchen and a truly wonderful reno - I'm sure all the more satisfying because it is your vision brought to life. Your home is lovely.

Congrats on a great job and happy cooking!
    Eliz

• marytwit
    13 years ago

This is one of the dreamiest remodels I've ever seen -- everything about it is special. Wonderful!

• kaysd
    13 years ago

I love how open and bright your new kitchen is. Great flow with the rest of the house. Your arched glass front cabinets are so pretty.

• User
    13 years ago

Really lovely. I think you did a wonderful job of paying homage to the original home. Certainly compliments it all. I think you are the perfect example of why we tell folks to live in a home for a while before they begin to knock out walls etc. Your taste is exemplary. c

• pondlily
    13 years ago

Wow! You have a wonderful sense of style and a unique and beautiful kitchen! I really love it!

• kellia
    13 years ago

Beautiful job!!!!

• sewingdeedles
    13 years ago

This kitchen is stunning. Appears to have lots of storage in a small space. I love the openness and light. Contemporary and classic at the same time. Applause.

• positano
    13 years ago

Wow! I love it! I was so close to installing madre perola, it was just a bit out of my price range. It looks amazing in your kitchen. Your choices work together beautifully, you must be so happy.
    Love the rest of your house too, those dining room pendants are fab. I think the gal from Pure Style Home Blog used those in her basement reno.

Congrats on a fantastic transformation!

• lala girl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone for your nice words! It made my day :-)

Sunshinekitch - our peninsula is 90" of counter from the wall to the end and it's 40" at its widest point (it is curved). The cabs are about 78" from the wall. (Those are approximate, my black lab hates the metal measuring tape and gets all in my face when I am down on the floor trying to measure!) I have really enjoyed the peninsula, I had been imagining an island in the space when we first began designs, but this more modest layout enabled us to tuck in a new powder room at the end of a short hall behind the range wall, plus a big overflow pantry that runs the length of the hall - so it just worked better for us. I hope this helps!

• sunshinekitch
    13 years ago

Laurainlincoln - thank you for the information. One last ? - how deep are the cabinets under the peninsula? This is what I envisioned and have been trying to convince DH that it will work, so I'm so excited to see yours and how lovely it looks.
    -Sunshine

• lala girl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Glad it is helpful Sunshine! Base cabs are about 24.5 inches wide/deep. You also asked about the range - it's 36" Kenmore Pro, pretty basic but so far it has been wonderful. HTH!

• rmaxharrj
    13 years ago

laurainlincoln - very beautiful job, congratulations! Could you give some details on your sink area, like size (45"?), what's in the cabs below, and what kind of sink you installed? I have been wondering why people don't install 2 faucets in one big sink more often, especially in a space-challenged but multiple-cook kitchen.

• homechef
    13 years ago

WOW! What a transformation. Congratulations on getting it done.

• lala girl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi rmaxharrj - We installed the Kohler Stages 45 with dual Karbons, which has been one of my favorite things about the remodel. We didn't have the right spot for a prep sink so this set-up has worked really well for us. In terms of what is in the cabs below, just cleaning supplies and the bracket that comes with the Stages to hold the accessories (mainly the trays) - hope that helps!

• bostonpam
    13 years ago

Wow - what a transformation! So much space and better functionality. Love the sink set up. Enjoy.

• islanddevil
    13 years ago

Love everything about your kitchen and how it opens to your family room. Can you please provide more details??
    Cabinet company and color?
    What are your countertops?
    Source for your dining room lighting fixtures or are they antique?
    Thanks!

• red_eared_slider86
    13 years ago

Nervous about posting??? Girl! Your kitchen should be featured in Renovation Style! You did an outstanding job!

I really love your blending of historical with contemporary. That big pine dining table coupled with the plush chairs just makes me drool. The floors, the bin pulls, the lighting... I could go on and on. It's totally fabulous!

Enjoy your beautiful new home!

• formerlyflorantha
    13 years ago

We'll be returning to look and learn over and over again--there are a lot of lessons here to absorb. Laurainlincoln, you've done a service by merely posting the rules of the design--the leans old, leans mod pattern. So very interesting and the result has given a significant personal and exciting perspective on how to handle the old and the new in a kitchen challenge. Am curious as to how much of the muse and discipline came from you and spouse and how much came from architect and workers.

• blonde1125
    13 years ago

Wow what a transformation! It looks gorgeous!!

• lala girl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks all! This forum gave me so much amazing information, guidance and especially the confidence to do what I thought fit the house and not to always give in to my architect or GC when they thought something should be handled differently (even if they thought I was crazy).

island - thanks so much! The cabs are custom, painted in SW White Dover same as the trim throughout the house. I found the inspiration for the gothic uppers in an older kitchen renovation book (circa 1991) that a family friend loaned me and I promptly ignored (my thought: 1991?? nothing to be learned from that time) - thankfully I finally spent a day looking thru the book and stumbled upon a historic home with these cabs, it fit the age and style of our home and I was smitten. Such a lesson to me that great ideas come from everywhere and every time period.

The counters are madre perola quartzite and I love the white, taupe and grey - very low key and seriously tough - no babying in my house and they have been fabulous.

Those DR fixtures are a total steal from Wisteria - I even got them 30% off during a summer sale (love a gool deal). I did change the glass panels from clear to antiqued (which was easy to do) and it made the lighting softer and now they do not have to be spotless (always a good thing!)

hope this helps! :-)

• islanddevil
    13 years ago

Laurainlincoln. Thanks for the scoop. I never heard of quartzite until I came to this site and your's is gorgeous! Others mentioned quartzite etches, but you haven't had that problem? If so I need to look at that because I too want easy care and love the tone on tone shades of neutral instead of doing granite again. From here it looks like suede and I want to touch it!

Love how you went classic with both a Gothic and modern twist. I'm always attracted to creamy white kitchens with the half moon bin pulls, but don't want the same ol' pulls. Yours are chunky funky fabulous! Can you please provide a model and source for your cabinet hardware?

Also thanks for the scoop on your dining room lighting. Never heard of Wisteria and I've got it saved to my favorites now. I never would have pictured those lights over a dining room table until I saw yours. Perfect for your space. Love your style!

• lala girl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks island - the quartzite has been totally easy to care for - no etches at all so far.

The hardware is by Schaub & Company and it is the Empire Cup Pull in polished nickel. I went with the matching Empire straight Pull in PN for the cabs. For the larger built-ins that straddle the family room I went with same pulls in a softer finish - Antique Nickel. I got them from www.knobsandhardware.com - they are not expensive and I have been really happy with the quality - HTH! :)

• shelayne
    13 years ago

I have no idea how I missed this one!

Talk about TRANSFORMATION--WOW!

I love, love your windows. It just makes everything else lighter and brighter, I think.

Love your hardware and lighting, your floor, your hood, OK etc, etc.

It is all WONDERFUL! Major kudos to you! You done goooood. ;^)

Congratulations and enjoy!

• islanddevil
    13 years ago

Hi Laura. Got your email, but some how lost it before responding so I'm posting here. Thanks for the scoop. Dang I was just in Restoration Hardware yesterday,and didn't look at the dining room stuff so don't know if they were on the floor, but I probably wouldn't recognize them without your great styling. I'll have to get back and try them out. So many of their pieces are too large for my rooms so I'll keep my fingers crossed. Thanks again. Love your choices!

• j76972
    6 years ago

beautiful!