Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Nespresso Machine? If So, Which One?

Posted by rococogurl (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 16, 13 at 12:01

I've had a super low-tech coffee set up for a long time but I constantly make too much coffee and have it left over.

Have been flirting with getting Nespresso machine since it's single-cup, though no feedback from actual users.

Anyone have one? Do you recommend? Pros and Cons?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Nespresso Machine? If So, Which One?

I have one as do my DIL, her parents and all her aunts and uncles. All models make the same coffee, so the specific unit you buy is for looks. We all really like them, the one downside being the pods are not as readily available as pods for, say, a Keurig (which you can get at Bed Bath and Beyond).

o

I have the U and also got one for DD for college. It heats up in about 10 seconds and is pretty much ready to go. I run a blank shot before using the pods to warm the unit and my cup and afterwards to flush out any remaining coffee in the unit. With the exception of the top of the line one, I think all have the same internals, so its pretty much aesthetics.

We purchased the additional milk heater/frother unit as well. I would recommend it. My experience has been trouble free for the last year (I got it last Christmas).

Ordering the pods is easy and delivery is pretty fast (a day or two if you avoid Thursday/Friday orders.

o

What is the average price per pod? And do they ever go on sale?

I had a Delonghi expresso machine, that I found tedious to use. By the time I had frothed the milk, the coffee had cooled off, and I had to reheat it in Microwave. I wasn't really up to offering to stand there and make coffees for a number of guests, way too long between cups. The idea of coffee being ready so quickly is tempting...How long does it take to froth the milk? Can you froth milk first, and then make your coffee? I've looked at many Youttube videos, but that question doesn't get addressed.

o

I love my Nespresso machine. They make (by a large margin) the best espresso style coffee of all the pod machines in the market. Even my colleagues in Italy agree.

Most of the lower end machines are roughly the same in features and capabilities. Some come with an accessory frother (Aerocinno), which is handy for capps and lattes. I am lusting after the Delonghi built Nespresso, which has a built-in milk well and frother. (This is different than the other Delonghi machines). They usually have these on demo (free samples) at stores like W&S, Bloomingdales and Sur La Table.

They are starting to open up some cafes and boutiques in the US; there is a new one in SF. You used to be able to buy capsules at Bloomingdales as well. Capsules ordering on the web is so much more convenient. They arrive in two days.

o

Hi Rococo

I have the Pixie. As trailrunner can tell you (she saw my kitchen when she came up last month), I don't have a lot of space, so the pixie is perfect for us. I prefer my espresso without milk, so we don't bother with the frothers,which are higher maintenance anyway. The capsules are expensive--65 cents apiece for the regular ones and higher for some of the special editions. Still, the machine is great and so is the espresso. It is a wonderful little treat in the morning. We prefer the Arpeggio flavor and make it as a lungo--you can get a longer shot without having to use two capsules or double your dose of caffeine.

FYI for those who are interested. I was at a store last month and they were selling Nespresso-compatible capsules made by a company called Caffe Luxe. They are cheaper so I thought I would give them a try. Yuck. Went right back to the real thing. But Mondelez (the snack food business that Kraft spun off last year) announced a few months ago that they are starting to produce capsules that will compete. So that could be interesting.

o

I got one as a present and returned it because, I didn't like the coffee - either bland or too bitter and the coffee was never hot enough. If you don't put hot milk in the coffee it is just luke warm.

o

As for the temperature of the coffee, supposedly it is heated to the optimum temperature for espresso, which probably isn't as hot as a steaming cup of American coffee.

I'm not sure I understand the comment that the frothed is high meaintenance - Lthough yes, it has to be washed after use.

The frothed can be used independent of, and therefore simultaneously with, the coffee maker.

o

I can honestly say that I have tried a shocking number of coffee/espresso machines in a quest to find one that DH and I can agree on. With the exception of Jura, I think Nespresso makes the best coffee out there. Jura makes slightly better coffee in my mind, but loses the overall battle to Nespresso because it is more time consuming to clean. We currently have a Gran Maestria machine. Like another poster, I run a shot of hot water every morning before the first brew and then a double shot. This machine has the built in frother unit. To answer your question, yes you CAN froth and brew concurrently. One thing that I really like about the Nespresso is the ease of cleaning, especially the milk frother which is much easier to clean than many of the super automatics (I've had three).

As a side note, I have become friendly with the folks at our local W-S, and they all have Nespressos, despite having the opportunity to purchase the more expensive machines at a significant discount. HTH!

o

Thanks for all the comments & encouragement. I always trust this forum for a solid range of opinion.

I used to hang at the Nespresso cafe in NYC so I know the coffee. Had the whole spiel explained in their store with aerator demo and the "club" thing on the pods.

Had an automatic Gaggia years ago which made serious coffee but was too high maintenance. I'm over HM. The appeal of this is not buying 5 pounds of coffee at a time to store it in the freezer or having 2 quarts of coffee left over at the end of the week. I drink lattes so I do need the aerator. But don't want a PITA to clean.

I do like that these are compact. @nycbluedev - I've seen your kitchen which looks like the ones in our old building -- we were probably neighbors without knowing it.

One last question. Better to have the aerator built in -- i.e. UMilk or Citiz&Milk or just get the U or Citiz and get a separate one? From online reviews it seems the aerator tends to break down.

And between those two models, any thoughts?

o

I'm watching this discussion because I'm deciding between a CBTL Kaldi or a Nespresso model, probably the Citiz. I'm not as concerned about a frother, since there's always warming up milk in a microwave and settng a battery operated frother (brilliant also for vinaigrettes) to it.

o

We LOVE ours!!! Best coffee ever. Starbucks tastes awful to us now. We have the cream colored citiz with the frother.

o

Another vote for the citiz and separate frother. My typical cup is one green lungo and one purple espresso plus milk. Such a treat. And very low maintenance.

o

green and purple? What does that mean?

o

We started out many years ago with the C190 (with built in frother). It developed some problem or other, but had been discontinued by then, so Nespresso sent us a D290 (also with built in frother) for the cost of repairing the old one. This machine is still going strong. The espresso and coffee are excellent, and the frother is a snap to clean. I descale the machine about once a year, since we don't use it a lot, and use only filtered water. I think the D290 is also discontinued, but thought this bit of history might be helpful.

o

Inspired by the thread (and Bloomies Friends and Family discount), I upgraded to a Nespresso Lattissimo. It has a built-in frother and removable milk cannister. This marks my fourth ever Nespresso (none have broken).

o

Each flavor comes in a different colored capsule.

o

Congrats gooster! You beat me.

o

Green lungo is the fortissio and the purple is the arpeggio. Those are the ones we like too!

o

O love the blue lungo

I have U, it's perfect for small spaces…

o

I'm partial to the ristretto (black). It's very close to a true Italian ristretto. The purple is also a good standby for espresso.

Roccocogirl: It's in transit! I'll report back. Maybe our calcium intake will go up with capps every morning.

o

I have a citiz in Florida and a pixie at home, the pressure is the same in both. I use the black ristretto pods as I like a strong espresso flavour.
I find the frother develops a "hot spot", caked up milk in one area,
which has to be scrubbed hard, that bugs me. DH likes the frother but I microwave my milk to get it hotter.

Online ordering of pods is a snap.

o

I also like the Ristretto but I think Indriya is my favorite. I also like the Arpeggio.

o

Sale Alert!

I received an email from Crate & Barrel last night. All the Nespresso machines are on sale for 5 days -- 25% off with free shipping. (Sale is also on Nespresso site though the prices on some are a bit different).

I snagged a U Milk in white for $149.

UMilk & Pixie are made in Switzerland. Citiz is made in China. Don't know if that matters but I was surprised to see that distinction.

Went with the U Milk as it seemed geared to creating milk drinks with 3 settings (espresso, ristretto, lungo).

The hitch is back order with shipping in early December. Perhaps they are clearing out prior to a new launch or whatever. But I took this as a sign LOL.

o

I read the Coffee Geek reviews and am torn. Was never impressed by the samples given me at Williams-Sonoma, but am thinking of one of these as a Christmas gift for DS1. Frankly, my head swims with all the possibilities. Thank you for that information about country of origin. I had assumed all were made in China.

o

I received my Latissimo this week (grrr....missed the even better sales!). I'm still getting used to it. The coffee production is actually programmable on this one (size of draw, amount of foam, etc), and I'm still getting used to it. I'm hyper-aware right now of temperature, right now, too, thanks to this thread. The foam (at least at my current setting) is very, very fine on the cappuccino setting. It is adjustable so I'll need to tweak everything until I get it set. Once it is set, you just push one button to make it, and one button to clean once you're done. The milk cannister slides out and pops directly in the fridge.

BTW, the Nespresso plants in Switzerland are huge! (I lived in the same Canton) They produce billions of capsules each year. Its one of the most expensive labor markets on earth -- no wonder the capsules are so pricey!

o

Is it possible to buy the nespresso "instand coffee syrup" in bulk? I could see getting one of these to froth milk, but if all I wanted was espresso I'd struggle to rationalize allocating money and counter space to a machine that simply mixes water and syrup. I might ultimately decide that it's the best option, but it seems kinds nuts at first blush, doesn't it?

o

What is "instant coffee syrup"?

o

stuff that's in nespresso packets = "instant coffee syrup"

o

Nope, Gaucho, I just opened up a fresh one and peeked inside, and the only stuff that's in there is beautiful smelling, finely ground coffee! (You had me scared there for a minute, thinking I'd been paying all that money for syrup!)

This post was edited by fouramblues on Fri, Nov 22, 13 at 15:26

o

OK, so it's not isntand coffee syrup, it's instant coffee powder, which is even more mundane ;)

Granted it's very, very good instant coffee powder, but still, a dedicated machine and all the packaging to mix instant coffee is hard on my sensibilities. Like I said though, I can totally imagine this being the best available option.

o

It's "instant" only in the sense that it's quick to prepare - it's not instant like Sanka or Nescafe. It's ground coffee beans, just like ground coffee beans anywhere else - they just happen to be packaged in pod form. (I recycle them by taking them back to Sur La Table)

o

I've always understood the definition of instant coffee to be that it disolves in water with no need for straining or filtering, and by this definition nespresso is like the the more conventional instant coffees you mention.

Have you tried the Starbucks Via instant coffees? I've only had them a few times, but I've always thought they were very good.

Here is a link that might be useful: Starbucks Via instant coffee

o

It doesn't dissolve, though. Just confirmed with the contents of the pod I opened. At an espresso bar, they'll make you a shot with finely ground, not instant, coffee. Same thing here.

I tried the instant Starbucks. It was pretty good, but I immediately identified it as instant. (Rep was going around at the mall challenging shoppers to identify brewed vs instant.)

o

Gaucho, I had the Starbucks Via and found it no more drinkable than any other instant coffee.

This conversation is about something else.

o

I cannot say enough good things about Nespresso. I love my Citiz, it's small, pretty, and makes a mean espresso. Yes the pods are pricey, but the coffee is so delicious that I do not mind the price tag. Their service is also spectacular. Should your machine break, the lovely people at Nespresso will send you a temporary machine while you ship yours out to be fixed.

I did not bother with the frother since I heat my milk in a tin mug on the stove. Hot cup + hot milk= the most comforting cup of hot jo. And less to clean.

o

I'm sorely tempted. I don't typically buy coffee away from home since I drink two cups upon waking (12-16 oz. each) and then that's it for me for the day. A couple of years ago my SIL visited and she brought her Citiz. I needed a lungo (the one that's bigger), but found it wondrous and intoxicating.

I have a $160 gift card at Amazon that's calling me.

So, some advice please. I drink two cups (large) in the morning. Just me in the house. I love a dark roast, lots of 1/2 & 1/2. Would I need a milk frother? Can I just add 1/2 & 1/2, or would that be sacrilege? I need a dairy presence and I like the idea of creamy foam. And heat. There's always the microwave, but that would be using multiple appliances and I like simplicity.

So, a Citiz? With foamer or bought separately?

o

Thanks to this post, I just bought a Nespresso...had never really heard of it before...or if I had, it hadn't registered like Tassimo or Keurig which seem to be flogged on every street corner or shopping aisle!

I had a similar misconception to Gaucho in that I figured all the single serve coffee machines didn't use real coffee or they had to have powdered milk, etc. But I have done a fair amount of internet surfing for the past week, and I was so surprised at all the favourable reviews of the Nespresso, over and above the ones posted here. The Bay here in Canada had a one day sale on Wednesday of the U with the Aerocinno Plus for $149, so I jumped on it, and have been enjoying lattes and espressos for the past three days! I am really really happy with the purchase, and my poorly functioning much more expensive, much bulkier Delonghi espresso machine is now downstairs in my store room (I'll deal with that at a later date). When I went to order pods, there was a deal on for a free Aerocinno Plus if you ordered 400 or more pods...in hindsight, I should have gone for that option, as I did order 300, and I could have given the milk frother to one of my kids for Xmas, or just kept it to have on hand in case this one ever breaks down.

So, Linelle, I would phone Nespresso, and see if that offer is valid in the US too, and if so, then maybe just buy your machine without frother, and take advantage of the free machine. There is a welcome pack of 250 pods which also comes with a choice of free gift, so I took that and ordered 50 more (you have to order a minimum of 50 for packing purposes-but they can be 5 different kinds, each sleeve has 10 pods).

Also....just an FYI, Nespresso has a $75 rebate, ie you get $75 in club credits if you buy a machine before Jan 12 (may be valid only in Canada, but maybe there's one in the US too?).When I spoke to the Nespresso rep on the phone, she said I couldn't apply for the credit, as I had bought mine on a special sale, but after checking online and seeing that many got the credit last year on sale machines, I thought I'd try anyways. I did receive an email saying my request has been successfully reviewed...so hopefully I will get that credit...if so, my two machines ended up costing me a total of $75!

Linelle, here is a pretty good U-tube video comparing four Nespresso machines. I am happy with the U, am really enjoying the foam from the Aerocinno, though do have to say cannot recommend Almond Milk in there, just don't like the taste...LOL

Here is a link that might be useful: review of four machines

o

raehelen, thanks for the info and good advice. It seems the sale lasts until Monday and everyone is selling at the same price. In fact, the Citiz on Amazon ships from Sur La Table.

So, tomorrow I'm going over to Sur La Table, do some hands on, ask some questions, and hopefully get a taste or two. I'm kinda leaning toward a Citiz with integrated foamer. I like tall cups (rather than wide) and it seems the Pixie doesn't accommodate a tall cup as easily.

o

I bought the Pixie (Titan Gray) that came bundled with the Aeroccino Plus. Yay!!! I just had my first cup: Decaffeinato Intenso lungo cappuccino. It was a divine cup of bliss with a huge cloud of foam.

A couple of hours earlier I bought a Citiz that comes with an integrated Aeroccino that fits on the same base. I didn't want to buy them separately (same price) because the only color Sur La Table had was chrome and it was way too shiny and mirror-y. Got it home and it wasn't a good fit for my counter. So I packed the Citiz up and took it back and SLT was extremely gracious about it. In fact, one of the sales staff said she liked the Pixie better.

It's afternoon here so I'm not chancing caffeine. I don't know if I will froth my milk all the time, but I like the option because it makes me feel like a princess. :) The Pixie, alone or with the frother, has a much better form factor in my kitchen.

I forgot to run a shot of hot water into my cup before I plopped in the capsule, so I filled it with some hot tap water first. I got my foam ready and then ran the default lungo. It was plenty hot for me.

I have two mystery capsules. I got the 16 that came with the Pixie, and a handful of others that they gave me at SLT. Two have no writing on the top and are different colors than the standard 16, one a deep cobalt, the other a deep teal. No idea what they are. Is there any significance to the colors relative to others?

o

Linelle, head over to the Nespresso website and take a look at their Grand Cru Flavor/Color wheel. It sounds like you may have the two newest (and Darkest/Strongest) capsules: Dharkan and Kazaar.

o

Covingtoncat, yep, that's what they are. I'm almost afraid to try them. ;-)

o

Hubby bought me a Nespresso machine in December 2006 when I was about to go on maternity leave and would dearly miss my morning latte at my work's cafe.

Fast forward almost 7 years and the Nespresso is still going strong! I have had to replace the Aeroccino milk frother once, after 5 years of daily use, but got a free one during a promotion (as I bought 300 pods at once.)

I can honestly say that I look forward to waking up every morning so I can have my double shot latte with skim milk. It is wonderful coffee and a solid little machine!

o

tl1969, I'm glad to hear everything's still working and that you're enjoying your coffee!!! This was my first Nespresso morning. Usually with drip, the setup is the night before so in the morning I just press a button, feed the cats, go pick up the paper, and coffee's hot and waiting for me. Last night there was no prep other than to make sure the water container was full. I patted myself on the back. This morning wasn't a lot of work, but it did take some thought: pouring milk into frother, picking a capsule (still clueless) and warming my cup. Not a big deal, but, hey, it was 5:30 a.m.

Question: What exactly is a double shot? Two separate capsules in the same cup, or two shots of water through the same capsule?

o

Wow, raehelen, you really went all in.

What's the best strategy for deciphering the capsules?
I'm very clear on the brewing end of things but the capsule names make little sense because they don't seem to correspond to the coffee varieties and roast types used for bulk.

F.ex., I now buy a blend of Vienna and Espresso roasts but I use it for drip.

Reason I'm confused is I associate ristretto, espresso and lungo with the type of brew (i.e. how much and strength of resulting coffee).

Seems confusing since with any given capsule the taste could change according to how it was brewed. Lordy, I hope this doesn't turn out to be as big a production as the washing machine LOL.

gooster, any report?
Or is it just trial and error?

o

Rococo... I'm just going through my 16 sample pack, and haven't found one I dislike yet...hope my order arrives before I run out...my 'regular coffee' which normally receives rave reviews even from my coffee loving family,(and my Dad was a coffee wholesaler so our whole family was raised on caffeine and we always knew the days they were roasting the espresso beans in his plant...cuz his suit had a distinctive aroma that day!) just is not cutting it anymore!

Surprisingly, I had the vanilla flavoured one in my sample pack, and it was really good, too bad I had already ordered cuz going from reviews online, I hadn't ordered the vanilla flavour.

So, I have been going mainly by the strength, ie the numbers,, and going with the stronger/higher ones first thing in the morning, and the lower numbers later in the day. I haven't drunk just an espresso, though I do take one or two sips before I add the frothed milk. I have been brewing just Lungos, so can compare tastes relatively equally. Not too worried about keeping track, as once my order arrives, I'll have 10 or 20 of each variety, and then I will try and evaluate them for future orders. I am guessing I won't order too many of the low numbers like 4 or less.

Am also curious how to do a double shot, instructions say you can hit it again before pod drops (ie 4 sec), but then I am guessing that it would be watery?

o

Best to go to a nespresso store and taste a few. Buy a few sleeves of those and see how you like them. Then go back and try different ones. It's fun to try them, especially if you don't plan to sleep for the next few hours!

It isn't that hard to decipher if you just ignore the names for now. Most of the varieties are espresso (the short ones). There is the black ristretto and the three different lungos (the long ones). Among the espressos, there are some single bean types and blends. And they vary by intensity. And there a few decaf ones too. I don't think the flavor varies by how much water is used, but rather by the beans themselves. For example, I like the Arpeggio with a bit more water using the lungo button but when they make me one at the store and brew it with the short button, it doesn't change the flavor.

I recommend that you try three different intensities. Perhaps a 9 like the purple Arpeggio which I understand is their highest seller, a 7 (maybe a lungo like the green Fortissio) and a less intense 5 or 6. Maybe even lower if you like it less intense. For what it's worth, the guy at the store told me that the caffeine level is pretty much the same across the board, with just a few exceptions, including the new dark blue one. See what floats your boat. Actually, I think they are all good. My favorites are the Arpeggio and the Indriya (that is one of their "pure origins" and an 8, I believe). I also like the fortissio because I prefer a long cup.

They come out with special edition ones from time to time as well.

o

Sounds like we have a coffee klatch of real lovers.

Helps to hear there are 16 samples since there are so many choices.

Did you buy one of the little storage drawers?

My understanding about double shots always has been two singles in one cup but that's based on coffee bars and the long-gone Gaggia.

Did someone on this thread say they had been a barista? If not, perhaps there's someone on the forum who has and can enlighten.

Hope my U Milk arrives soon.

o

As for caffeine content, a shot of espresso has far less caffeine in it than a cup of regular coffee. It has to do with the speed with which the water seeps through the grounds (fast, i.e. espresso=less caffeine drawn out).

http://coffeechemistry.com/caffeine/caffeine-content-in-espresso-vs-drip-coffee1.html

o

From my understanding, the lungos are really intended to be draw with the long draw (full cup). These correspond more to what we call an "americano".

The numbers are a basic guide to the intensity. I prefer it strong, so I get the black (ristretto) and purple (arpeggio). They have a limited number of flavored coffees. The also have certain limited edition coffees, including ones made from beans from a single area (e.g. ,Columbian, etc, just like Starbucks).

rococogurl: I have been trying the new machines a few times now and have been having capps, mostly. The machine I bought is programmable for the length of the water draw and the amount of milk foam desired -- I don't remember this feature before (or didn't read the manual!). The milk does come out not as hot as the coffee, so that is a concern for me. Part of the problem may be coming straight from the fridge to the machine.

BTW, the commercial version of the machine uses flat shaped discs that produce an even better espresso. They only sell these to companies (e.g, offices, small restaurants, airport lounges, etc) -- the machines are larger and fully automatic. They also make a bigger cup. This was our breakroom coffee at my office.

Here is a link that might be useful: the commercial version

o

I don't think the issue is the milk coming straight from the fridge, because the aerrocino works based on temperature - it isn't "done" until the milk reaches the pre-programmed temperature.

o

sjhockey fan: I have the lattismo, which works a bit differently. I've only had capps, not a full latte. I should try a comparison with my aerocinno.

o

Yes, that would be good to know!

o

gooster - Do you love the latissimo? It's so gorgeous. But that pro machine is beyond. At the Cafe they just use one of the regular machines.

I bought U Milk for the 3 auto settings --- lungo, espresso and ristretto. Looks easier than the last machine which was figuring out which filter to use then how long to brew.

I microwave for 20 seconds now to take the chill off the milk. Hoping the little frother will take care of that.

With winter here (first snow today), I'm really looking forward to sitting in front of the fire with a big latte or an Irish coffee. Yuuuum.

o

Gooster,
DS1 will be receiving the Latissima also. Had a-soon-to-expire 10% off coupon at SLT which one store honored after another refused. He wanted that adjustable milk feature. I hope it's not a pain to program. I just trusted that the relative ease of the use of the machine would transfer to the milk program as well. Will report results, but not until after Christmas.

o

I don't normally drink coffee after two very large cups in the morning, and never decaf, unless it's past mid-afternoon. I did make a Decaffeinato Lungo latte yesterday (from my pack of 16). I thought the stirrer in the Aerocinno would just heat the milk, but it produces a nice, albeit modest, froth as well. I did heat the cup with a lungo water first, and the prepared cup was HOT. Although I'm a sucker for froth, I think the stirrer actually produces enough for me, since I like taller mugs, not open bowls through which the liquid can get through.

I did use my regular drip maker this morning--French roast with 1/2&1/2--because it's what my just-awake body and taste buds crave. I'm giving myself permission to use both means of making coffee.

A recommendation from veteran Nespresso users: With regular, drip coffee, I like a dark roast (French, Italian, Vienna), not so much for bitterness, but for the toasty, cereal quality. Not interested in fruity or spicy, definitely not flavored coffee. Any recommendations in the Nespresso line?

BTW, my ex-BIL (formerly married to my SIL) is a Swiss graphic designer and he created the Nespresso logo.

o

rococogurl: I'm really liking the Lattissimo. It is very, very convenient. It of course still produces the regular espresso I do love and I'm really enjoying the option to have a capp. It is very convenient. You basically just plug the milk container in and go. And then when done, you push the clean button and the machine gets purged with some water and steam.

kitchendetective: the programming happens one time. You basically hold down the button to enter the mode. then you hold down the button to draw the coffee for how ever long you want. Then you hold it down to add as much foam / milk as you want. Then it is set for one button operation. It basically sizes your capp or latte to the size of your cups.

Linelle, if you do like the darker roast flavor, you do need to use a black or purple or similar value of 8 or above. Even if they are labeled as espresso or ristretto, you can do a long draw.

o

Thank you! I shall pass that on.

o

If I'm up all night posting here it's because my lovely U Milk arrived. Turns out not all the capsules are marked. I believe I drank one of the lungos with lovely frothy milk but it may have been a decaf (similar color). I'll know later tonight LOL.

This was a super choice (so far) and easy to use and clean. Getting to know the various coffees should be lots of fun. Already registered as I can see the starter capsules will go very fast.

Thanks to all for the great advice!

o

rococogurl, yay!!! I'm less than a week with my Pixie and Aeroccino and I'm in love. The first day or two I wasn't so sure I'd made a wise purchase. Did I need an espresso maker when I never drank espresso, ever? Did I get caught up in the 25% off deal when it wouldn't really get used?

Well, was I wrong. I discovered I love lattes in the afternoon. A nice 7-10 intensity lungo (whether categorized as lungo or not) in a heated mug, stirred milk, which still creates its own froth, and yes, a shot of 1/2&1/2. OMG, total heaven on earth.

I'm so glad I exchanged the Citiz with onboard Aerocinno for the Pixie with separate Aeroccino. It just fits better in my kitchen.

For now I'm still drinking two tankards of drip French Roast in the morning. I need the volume and minimal interaction. I don't like the drip later in the day (nor the mess) so I just didn't drink coffee after morning. The Pixie changes everything.

I had an Arpeggio (#9) latte yesterday at 3 and started nodding off at 10. I have 3 mystery capsules, although I believe two are Dharkan and Kazaar. Just their names reek of doom! The other nameless one is orange. Possibly decaf?

o

Linelle, I has a dreaded feeling of TMW (too much work) when I opened it as well. But it was a good choice for me and the water reservoir can be swiveled to the side which is so convenient. Also like separate foamer. U Milk is made in Hungary.

I also drink a whole pot in the morning so I'll see. Zabars sends me a personal blend of Vienna and French-Italian which is excellent. But I don't drink it after noon.

I also went for the unmarked orange-- thought it might be the decaf but think it is actually Linizio Lungo. Crazy they put unmarked capsules in a starter sampler.

Need to taste through out and find an after dinner decaf ristretto. Then buy another box of Crest white strips.

o

Rococo, the newness threw me at first. I was pulling two lungos through the same capsule and topping with billowy froth from 2% milk. It just wasn't right. The gal at Sur La Table also loves 1/2&1/2 and encouraged me to experiment. I really like a dark toasty roast.

Yeah, crazy to include unmarked capsules. "Here kid, try some of this..." I was afraid that afternoon caffeine would do me in, but so far, no sleep troubles. I'll need to order capsules in a couple of days and I think I will include some higher intensity decaf just to be on the safe side.

Thanks for starting this thread. It's what pushed me over the edge! :)

o

Funny, the kids got me the Nespresso at W & S for Hanukkah. I'm not an expresso drinker, but you'all make it sound good. I'll let them set it up today.

o

My 16-oz. daily latte. With milk and 1/2&1/2, I figure it costs me $1.00.

latte

o

If you go to the website and the capsule ordering page, you can see the colors and the descriptions. The most orange looking color is Linizio Lungo -- which is not decaffeinated, btw.

Here is a link that might be useful: Linizio pic (hope this link works)

o

Thanks, gooster. I'm loving Fortissio Lungo and Arpeggio (long pull).

o

I'm nearly through the sample box and just wanted to say thanks to everyone again for all the information. It's just lovely having this machine. So far my favorites are the fairly robust choices including Ristretto, Roma, and Cosi, also Capriccio, Volluto and Livanto. Linizio Lungo is a good one, too. And it's so lovely to sit in front of the fire at night with a Decaffinato Intenso.

Here's a toast back at ya gooster.

This post was edited by rococogurl on Sat, Jan 25, 14 at 6:58

o

Rococo, I stopped in at Bloomingdale's to pick up some capsules and mentioned that I generally like their "9s and 10s" and they told me they have some 11s and 12s now. I got them to try and like them a lot -- their names are Kazaar and Dharkan.

o

Rococo: You are very welcome. Glad it is working out for you! I'll have to order/pickup some Kazaar / Dharkan capsules.

o

I am still madly in love with my Pixie. I can't wait till 3pm rolls around and I can make myself a cappuccino/latte. I'm not really sure what you call it but there's milk and 1/2&1/2 and foam to die for. It's like what clouds taste like.

I love Arpeggio (9) the best. I really crave a nutty, toasty flavor. I can't believe I second-guessed myself after I bought this little guy. I don't know how I lived without it.

o

What a happy bunch! Add me to the list too. I love my Pixie.

I tried the 12 and didn't love it. Even though I love the Arpeggio (9) and wish they would make a more intense lungo (the highest is a 7), I felt like the 12 was just too strong. It may actually have been the extra caffeine. At the store they told me that the caffeine level of the different varieties is really the same across the board, with the exception of the 12 (and maybe the 11, I don't remember) which is higher. Anyone else have different info on that?

o

Another convert due to this thread - requested as XMAS present from DH and didn't use until 12/25 :) (thanks all!). We have the Citiz and are liking it very much. DH converted a drawer nearby to hold the capsules. I'm looking forward to my next order and trying even more different kinds.

Left two front are the espressos, right front are the lungos. I am liking using the lungos on the short setting, twice, for my morning cups. Left back is maybe decaf (haven't tried yet!) and I'll have space for some flavored coffees too (right back corner). This way, we don't have to think, just grab and go :)

P.S. rococogurl - you are so right about the white strips!

o

I love my Umilk with frother! Also a Christmas present to me thanks to this post. I usually have two, up to four a day, and like Rococogirl am really enjoying being able to treat myself with a decaff latte after supper. (I was never a big fan of making decaff coffee, but caffeine in any form will keep me up).

Two interesting asides, my son and his wife stayed with us for a week over Christmas, they will definitely be in the market for one. To save money while my daughter-in-law finishes her residency, they will be moving in here once my son gets posted here later this year. I wasn't planning on charging rent, so they could save for a house, but will have to charge them something to go towards all the capsules I can foresee going through! LOL

Secondly, was watching 'Anna & Kristina's Grocery Bag' (a locally produced TV show that is aired on W and OWN, if you haven't seen it yet, I highly recommend it!), and they did a comparison between several personal espresso machines, and Nespresso (it may have been the Pixie) won out. Turns out it is the only machine that delivers espresso at exactly the recommended temperature. It also won the taste test and convenience test!

o

Will definitely look for the Kazaar / Dharkan on the next round. Thanks for the tip on that sjhockey. Didn't realize Bloomingdale's had them. Can't say I've ever found coffee that's too strong LOL.

Does anyone else find the coffee hotter after a few cups? I've taken to pre-heating the cup with 2 empty pulls on lungo (which also cleans out residual coffee from the previous pull) and leaving the hot water in there until the milk is ready. Then my cup is hot when I switch to espresso and brew.

I agree -- so convenient. Though I don't get their recycling spiel. I just throw the capsules out.

oldbat -- would you remind me about the white strips? I'm drawing a blank on that.

This post was edited by rococogurl on Sat, Jan 25, 14 at 8:01

o

I like a big gulp, so I always pull a lungo, regardless of the capsule I use, alternating between Arpeggio and Fortissio Lungo. Arpeggio is my fave.

I thought I would have issues with caffeine in the afternoon, so I bought a bunch of Decaffeinato Intenso, but my sleep has been unaffected and I think I'll just keep the decaf for others who prefer it.

I like hot coffee. It also slows me down so I don't toss the whole thing back in a few gulps. Instead of heating my cup with filtered Pixie water (it's a smaller reservoir to begin with), I fill my cup from the tap and nuke it for a minute or so. Everything's nice and warm and ready to go.

o

They generally recommend running one empty run before you do your first pull. It heats up the interior (and your cup). I find my integral frother on my Lattissima works better when I start with warmer milk. The Aeroccino doesn't have this issue, of course.

Now, all in all, I think the Aeroccino is easier and more capable of flexing your milk to coffe ratio, but just not as convenient as the Lattisima. The Lattisima has the milk cannister that you just remove and pop in the fridge. The froth is a little more authentic (vs. the foam of the Aeroccino) People can save their money and get a compact model with the separate frother, I think.

This post was edited by gooster on Sat, Jan 25, 14 at 13:17

o

FWIW, I do recycle the Nespresso pods. I collect them and take them to Sur La Table.

o

Just received my little Pixie today- I am in love- it's the cutest darn thing in my kitchen (besides me, hahaha!). I just know I am going to love it- already had the Aeroccino frother, so I'm good to go. This is a wonderful & very informative thread- thanks to all of you great GW posters.

o

Congrats on the Pixie!

I have the lattissima plus and love it.

Have y'all seen Miele have started making a built in Nespresso machine?

I have the biggest appliance crush on it!

Here is a link that might be useful: Miele Nespresso built in machine

o

Tried both the 12s. Just my opinion but for me, the Dharkan is meant to appeal to Turkish coffee lovers as a ristretto. For me too smoky to be a great mix with milk. Kazaar is like a cross of Turkish and dark Espresso and had a surprising, slightly chocolatey aspect. More exotic than the up and down Italian picks like Ristretto, Roma, Cosi and very full bodied but also tilting to the exotic.

@cbink - Miele's made that machine for some time and it's the ultimate kitchen feature in these parts. You really have an eye LOL.

o

@rococogurl - Apparently I was slow on the uptake. Can't believe I didn't know about it beforehand.

This post was edited by cbink on Thu, Jan 30, 14 at 12:19

o

Tried both the 12s. Just my opinion but for me, the Dharkan is meant to appeal to Turkish coffee lovers as a ristretto. For me too smoky to be a great mix with milk. Kazaar is like a cross of Turkish and dark Espresso and had a surprising, slightly chocolatey aspect. More exotic than the up and down Italian picks like Ristretto, Roma, Cosi and very full bodied but also tilting to the exotic.

Wow, to me it's just "coffee" :-)

o

We have the Lattissima plus and love it. It's so nice to just push 1 button and have a fresh latte. I can never remember the names, but I like the black and purple the best. My wife likes the new 12s, but they're a little too intense for me.

We got a sleeve of the caramel on a lark, and it's quite good. I usually hate flavored coffees because they tend to be cloying and artificial tasting, but this one is really good. It's got a rich butter flavor that's really nice.

o

Black - ristretto
Purple - arpeggio

I'm with you - I like the both too. Also like the Caramelito as a latte. For Lungo's I like the Linizio lungo (orange and mine don't have any writing on them - they're blank on top) and the fortissio lungo

o

Oh no, my Aeroccino appears to have died (2 years old)!

o

sj, oh no!!! I'm so attached to my Aeroccino. I sometimes want to just make a pot of froth to eat on its own.

Yesterday I came *this* close to the frother (spring) going into the garbage disposal unnoticed. It would not have survived. I have to hide them from my cats who would love to bat them around.

Without my extreme foam latte every afternoon, life would have no meaning. :)

o

linelle, I DO have a cup of hot milk/froth on many a night! (the funny thing is, I hate cold milk, but I love hot milk). Also, I did lose the "whipper" to the garbage disposal, but fortunately, they're very inexpensive to replace. Now I have to decide if I will just replace the Aeroccino, or whether I will bite the bullet and get a whole new coffee maker that will look better in my new modern kitchen!

o

oh, sjhockeyfan, WIlliams and Sonoma has a sharp all new chrome Citiz. I saw it the latest catalog.

Here is a link that might be useful: Williams Sonoma

o

That chrome Citiz is pretty, but hello? fingerprints? If it's anything like my Aeroccino, they're nigh impossible to eliminate. I don't care so much with the frother because it lives in the cupboard, but my Pixie sits on the counter.

Originally I bought a Citiz and onboard Aeroccino 3. It had the wrong footprint for my designated counter so I exchanged it for the Pixie and separate Aeroccino Plus. A word of warning about the Aeroccino 3. Two words of warning actually. 1) It has no handle, 2) it has a slippery grip to it. It's a cool looking item, but if you don't use a death grip on it, it would easily slip out of your hand. The ribs on the side don't give it enough grip.

o

Thanks so much. So far, my Essenza (ugly, but it was cheap!) and Aeroccino live on the counter, but I'm thinking maybe a Pixie on the counter, and put the Aeroccino in the drawer with the toaster. I have a huge island, but unfortunately, very little counter space on the one and only wall side. I would get the Pixie because of its size (I assume its smaller than the Citiz). And thanks for the warning about the Aeroccino 3 - forget it - I definitely want a handle, so I'll just get the old unattractive Aeroccino Plus.

o

I have the Titan Gray Pixie. There's an orange one that's adorable. I read somewhere (GW?) that the Pixie actually delivers its brew at the warmest temp.

o

Oh, so sorry about the aeronccino death.

Ditto here with vote for the handle. I rinse it out right away with the sprayer. Can't imagine not having the handle as I'd drop it constantly.

That's one good lookin' Citiz at WS. But I'm with linelle about fingerprints not to mention spatter.

We had superbowl buffet so I bought some of the Bodum Pavina double-wall 2.5 oz glasses for espresso. Lovely and they keep it hot. There's a larger size as well. I may buy them instead of chocolates for Valentine's Day LOL

Here is a link that might be useful: Pavinas

o

Rococogurl,

You may just be my long-lost sixth sister! I bought DH these Latte (Trudeau Duetto) cups for Christmas, and 4 little espresso double-walled ones from Luigi Bormioli (happened to be on clearance at Sears for $5 for two). These are definitely our Mugs of choice, as they do a great job of keeping the coffee/tea warm. I was just thinking earlier today that I should post these as I'm sure everyone following this post would love these!
 photo Trudeau_duetto_zpsfefa03b5.jpg

I had originally bought him some Bodum mugs, but they were much more expensive ($40 for two) ...so when I found the Trudeau ones I took them back.

o

Latest update: I'm on my third order and fining down what I like and don't.

But someone on FB mentioned self-addressed recycling bags they provide. So I called and they sent several along with my latest order. Each bag hold 6 pounds of used capsules. I started up a 1-quart zip lock bag for the discards which I'll keep in the freezer until I get a full recycle bag. Didn't find anywhere on the website to get this -- had to call.

So funny raehelen. You know what they say about great minds LOL!

Anyone get the new machine that takes the spinning capsules yet? Gooster put me on to it though cannot say I'm ready for even more $$$$ capsules.

o

Rococogurl

I looked at the new machine. I decided to take a pass for three reasons--it's more expensive to use, I have another preferred and inexpensive way to make regular coffee and it takes up too much real estate on my counter.

More detail.

As you might know, the marketing angle for the new machine is that is provides a 7 ounce cup for people that want more coffee.

There are separate capsules for coffee and for espresso. There is a limited selection of each. There are many more capsules for the regular machines. Maybe they will come out with additional ones. I would bet they would.

I tasted one or two of the coffees. They are nice. In my opinion, much better than Keurig. It's a 7 ounce cup with crema on top. So it's not like a regular cup of coffee. It's more like a tall espresso but it's coffee, if that makes sense.
] The espresso capsules are generally similar to the espresso capsules for the regular machines. For example, the purple capsule is similar to the Arpeggio, the blue one is similar to the new really strong capsule (I forget what it is called), etc.

The espresso capsules for the regular machines cannot be used in the new machine. And they are 75 cents each versus 65 cents for the regular machine. And those prices are going only one way, especially when they get you locked in.

The coffee capsules are 95 cents. They like to tell you that at 95 cents, they are cheaper than using two capsules for the regular machine. But I don't use two capsules with my Pixie. I run an Arpeggio on the lungo cycle to get a longer cup because I am just too darned cheap to use two capsules. With the new machine, the whole thing is automatic so you can't do that.

Also, it is really mixing apples and oranges (or espresso and coffee, for that matter).

So where I came out is that if I have another another preferred method to make coffee, I won't bother with this machine. And I do have that alternate method-- I like to have espresso on weekdays when making it quickly is more imporant and French press on weekends when I can linger over a cup. If I wanted an espresso, I would have to pay 20% more for that espresso than I pay with my current Pixie unless I were to use two machines, in which case, I don't need the espresso function on the new machine. I find the price difference for the espresso capsules especially irritating.

I think the machine is good for those people who are looking for a single-use machine that makes both coffee and espresso because they don't otherwise have a Nespresso machine already.

o

Super report nycbluedevil. thanks so much.

I'm definitely an espresso person so not personally tempted by the new machine. But there was an interesting article this week about overall coffee consumption being down while single-cup espresso drinking is up, along with k cups.

o

nycbluedevil, thanks for the report. Looks like we are on the same wavelength: I also use Arpeggio (my fave) with a lungo pull on my Pixie. Every day at 3 pm. I'm hopelessly addicted. Oh, plus 2% milk using the latte stirrer and then another batch dose of 2% with the frother. Mounds of cloud-like foam. Huge cup. I'm sure this is highly un-Kosher, but I don't care. I'm in love.

o

I echo nycbluedevil's review of the new machine. I tried a cup at W&S -- but am not convinced. Tastes great (much better than Keurig -- but more of an "americano"), but it is bigger and each cup is more expensive (and more limited in choices)

o

Coffee anecdote - we were in Peru last week, and at one stop on our trek, we roasted organic coffee beans on a wood-burning stove. I couldn't help but think to myself, well, this is fun and educational, now, where's my Nespresso :-)

o

sjhockeyfan -- if your trek was anything like mine (Inca Trail), my main thoughts were -- "where's my sit-down toilet".

o

Gooster, we hiked the Salkantay Trail (and met up with what our guide refers to as "the commercial Inca Trail" on the next to last day). But (and it's a very big but), we did lodge-to-lodge, not camping. A hot shower and a king-size bed along with a delicious meal go a long long way when you're hiking for 6 days (Machu Picchu was Day 7).

o

Well when my coffee maker died a couple of weeks ago, I decided to try the new dual machine. The verdict is still out and luckily Sur la Table has a very generous return policy.

The coffee and espresso are both very good (I have an older Nespresso so wasn't concerned about quality). I also like not having a grinder, plus the stray grounds, on my counter.

My biggest complaint about the machine is that the coffee is not as hot as I would like it and I generally zap it in the microwave for a bit after brewing which is a hassle.

I plan to use it a bit more and then decide to keep or return.

o

To get the coffee really hot, I do 2 no-cartridge Americano pulls in the cup I'm planning to use. That heats the cup, clears the brewing spout, and seems to heat up my ULine very well. Then I change the setting, empty out the cup, insert the cartridge and brew.

o

For the record, coming upon this post when we began planning for our remodel spurred DH & me to spring for a Pixie. We had forgone Christmas gifts to each other, so we felt entitled. We also bought ours the day before the holiday promotion for the $75 credit expired and were able to get in on the package deal with the frother. How could we resist?

I'm generally a tea drinker, but DH loves a good cup of coffee. Like Linelle, I usually savor mine midday. So far, we have been delighted with ours.

This post was edited by amck on Wed, Mar 26, 14 at 12:27

o

sjhockeyfan: there was a lodge option!?!? The higher, longer trail though was probably a greater challenge... even with the tent and pit "hole in the ground" and only on day 3 cold shower. Still a great experience, but if a return is brought up for Salkantay, I'll be sure to highlight the lodge option.

Now back to better, more pleasant thoughts of aerocino froth and Grand Crus...

o

Gooster, send me an email and I'll send you the link to the trip we took. We signed up through REI, although they're just an agent for the Peruvian company.

o

Wow - I have read through all of these and am totally sold on the nespresso now. WS was doing a hard sell on the Vetruoline - but honestly don't think I will use the coffee part (hubby still wants his travel mug full in the morning, so there will have to be a drip maker there anyhow!).

The thing I am wondering about is the difference in milk heat for the Aeorocinno versus the Lattisimo steamer. I know based on the WS demonstration the Lattissimo makes a thicker / drier froth - but does one get the milk hotter than the other?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here