Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joaniepoanie

Too late for apron sink?

joaniepoanie
12 years ago

Mercymygyft posted earlier about whether to get apron sink or not. That string has me questioning my decision to NOT go with one. I originally wanted one because my current cabinet front has gotten yucky from rubbing up against it while doing dishes. Then I saw a pic of SS apron sink next to SS DW and it seemed like too much SS next to each other, especially in my small galley kitchen. Cabinet dealer and contractor also talked me into getting tilt out tray instead, even though I know I am not one for putting sponge, etc away after each use. Cabinets (30" sink base) are in and remodel starts after the holidays. Can tilt out part be cut away for apron and if so would doors be too tall? Is an apron base cabinet totally different than a regular base cab? Ordering another cabinet and having one go to waste out of the question. Should I just make peace with a regular cabinet and sink?

Comments (7)

• Jody
    12 years ago

We re-fitted our cabs for a copper farm sink. Our false front was also very worn from 32 years of NOT having a proper drip edge :(

We had to:
    * take out the two inch bar that runs across from cabinet to cabinet
    * replace with a new two inch board (lower than where the other one was ~ this does show and had to be stained/varnished)
    * our carpenter put a 2x4 on the side of each side of our current cabs to rest the sink on (this on the INSIDE, doesn't show)
    * we also had to have our cabinet doors under this sink made shorter by probably 1.5" to 2" (he did that, not sure exact measurements)

The sink is the STAR of my kitchen, absolutely LOVE it and so easy to do dishes in ~ we got one bowl.

jody

• mudhouse_gw
    12 years ago

I'm hoping to modify our existing sink base for a stainless apron sink, but most apron fronts are too long (the existing doors are too tall.) We may modify the doors, but another option I've considered is the Kohler Vault apron sink, because it's designed to be installed in existing cabinetry with only minor modifications. The apron is less than 7" tall, so I wouldn't have to cut my doors down to fit this one.

It's also available in a larger size, and double basin. Just wish I could find it at a lower price. ;-)

Kohler Vault stainless apron sink

• Mercymygft
    12 years ago

Joanie... the one mudhouse posted would work in a standard 30" sink base.

• joaniepoanie
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Mud house and mercy....thanks! I will need to ponder this. Already have undermount sink bought on Internet which I would have to return. And Vault sink is a few hundred more, not to mention the charge for cutting top off new cabinet, etc...

• Mercymygft
    12 years ago

Well I'm a big believer in getting what you want. I mean what's a few hundred dollars more in the grand scheme of things considering what you have invested in your kitchen already. If you really want an apron sink, I say go for it since you can still use the cabinet you have. This is the time to make the change and not when everything is said and done.

Good luck with your decision.

• CEFreeman
    12 years ago

If you want it now, you're always going to want it.

We retrofitted a regular, 33" sink base. For a Kohler, undermount apron sink. The thing is to take a look at the weight of the sink (mine was about 175lbs) and reinforce it from underneath.

Here's a pic:

As you can kind of see, I also am putting a drawer under it rather than two useless doors. It'll be cut shorter in the back to accommodate a garbage disposer, but I wanted a drawer. I'm not crawling around on the floor to see what's in the back of the cabinet.

Dearheart, do it. Don't wait and wish you had. How often do we renovate our kitchens... wanna wait another 20 years?

Christine

• LMM170
    12 years ago

The folks where I ordered my custom copper sink have a patent on a design that allows for installation in existing cabinets. There is a helpful video showing how it works. I did not get one of these, so I cannot comment on the process, but this might work for you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rachiele patented channel apron sinks