Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Newbie here, kitchen layout advice

Posted by MNTwins (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 17, 12 at 11:32

Here's the initial layout for our kitchen, however I think it needs some changes. The stairs used to stick out further into the dining area, which was the initial reason for the angled island. My wife still prefers the angled island just to have something a little different, however she is willing to change her mind. There is generally just one cook in the kitchen, although there are often little kids running around as well.

For starters, I'm guessing we should move the fridge so that the island doesn't create a barrier. We are also putting a bigger window over the kitchen sink, probably a 4' wide awning window. What other changes would you recommend?

Thanks!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Newbie here, kitchen layout advice

That odd shaped island wastes a lot of space. Square it up and put a prep sink on it close to the range and it will be fine. However, that's an awfully small run of cabinets by the range to be able to visually support a hearth style range hood. Those are better left to much larger kitchens. Put the pantry and the ovens elsewhere, and you'd have enough room. But with it as designed, nope. It's gonna be too crowded for hearth style.

o
RE: Newbie here, kitchen layout advice

Thanks for the suggestions - we were thinking about squaring up the island, I think that's a good idea. As currently drawn in, the hearth range is more of a mini-hearth, kinda like this:

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here