Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need Ideas on Kitchen Design / Layout

Posted by ClioT (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 9, 12 at 11:31

I recently discovered this website, and have seen many of you provide great help to those of us with design issues.

DH and I are designing what will be a second home for a while, then our retirement home. We love our architect, and the modern design he's creating for us. But I'm a bit stuck on the kitchen; I can't seem to love any of the variations so far. The picture is the latest proposal (previously the kitchen wasn't quite as wide, and the island was "vertical," rather than horizontal, with the cooktop on the narrow cabinet wall). The open area in the middle of the plan runs the length of the house, with the bedroom area to the left and the living area to the right of the small bar area.

Background: we love to cook, and are often cooking at the same time. DH uses the stove and the (outdoor) grill; I use stove and oven. We don't socialize a huge amount, and are trying to keep the house size smallish, with efficiently-used space. We want a separate eating nook; we use our current such area a lot, for eating, reading and various projects. We rarely use the bar area in our current kitchen, really when chatting with the chef(s). I would like to include a separate small prep sink, if possible.

We've already discussed with the architect the appliances all clumped in the corner. Probably the narrow cabinet wall will be deepened, by making the pantry and laundry room a little smaller and maybe the island a bit smaller too, so the wall ovens can go over there. And maybe rather than a wall of cabinets (considering we'll have the cabinets in the island and a large pantry), have a counter in the middle of that cabinet wall as well. Other than the island, we don't seem to have a lot of counter space, and the island work space is on the opposite side (not so practical?). We know we'll want our espresso machine (used daily) on a counter, and maybe one other appliance. Oh, we're bad with plants, so we'll probably have something else in the middle of the wide island.

I would love any comments or feedback, including on the general usefulness of the space. And like I said, we don't need to have the final design now, but we need good bones in place before moving toward construction plans. Thanks in advance for the help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need Ideas on Kitchen Design / Layout

Did you post a pic or layout because nothing is showing up.

o

I'm hoping that I successfully attached the layout this time.

o

Moving the oven, as you are talking about, and creating a counter beside it seems like it will solve your concerns, and will make this a really nice plan, I think. PLus, the island end across from the new oven location will be helpful to you. I don't really see a shortage of counter space here, especially with those changes made... You'll gain counter where the oven is drawn now, counter beside the oven, and when you move the laundry wall back a bit, you'll also gain length to the counter run where your sink is.

How will you vent the stove?

Will you have a fridge that will be able to open if placed that close to a wall? Most need at least a few inches between fridge and wall for the door to open far enough for good access, to open drawers past the door shelves, etc.

o

Thanks for the suggestions. Don't know yet how we'll vent the stove, but our architect didn't feel that would be a problem. My parents have a vent that raises behind the stove, maybe that's what he's thinking. And yes, we noticed too, in reality the refrigerator would need a little space around it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here