Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
illinigirl_gw

how offset should/could a sink/range be (back to back)?

illinigirl
10 years ago

If one and only sink is in the island, and the range is behind the sink (but not directly behind it)......how far over should the range be from that sink? Could it be 12 inches or more from the edge of the sink would start?

Comments (14)

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    10 years ago

I'm not sure I like the idea of an opposing sink and range.

• illinigirl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lots of people do it. Prep next to sink, turn/ pivot to range to cook. Or in the reverse fashion take hot pot of pasta off range, turn / pivot to drain at sink. My question is not if but how far. Advice?

• sherri1058
    10 years ago

I also have my only sink on the island which is almost directly opposite the range. I've never had an issue.... I find it convenient, but I am also a 1 cook kitchen.

• badgergal
    10 years ago

I have my only sink directly across from my cooktop. My aisle is 50 inches. I love the set up and have had no problems with one person being at the sink and one at the cooktop. If it was a range with an oven door being opened the person at the sink might need to step aside so off setting the sink and range would be a good idea. I don't know how many inches it should be offset though. As the always say on GW, "mock it up" and see what works for you

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

I think the dishwasher is a bigger issue than the sink. Can someone be loading/unloading the dishwasher at the same time as someone is using the range?

• illinigirl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

yes, the dw is even farther from the range than the sink. i'm looking to slide the range even farther down (away from the dw and sink). i'm not sure how far it can go before becoming inconvenient.

• illinigirl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

badgergal,
    thanks! It is range only, ovens are separate farther down the wall.

• illinigirl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

right now i have the aisle at 55" (cabinet to cabinet). I moved it up once from 49 to 55.

i've got dw on the end of the island, then sink, then crossing over the aisle I've got the range (and 4 feet down from that I have the ovens). I can't tell how much, but I have a few inches of overlap where the range begins before the sink ends (maybe 6). I'm thinking of sliding the range down even farther from where the sink is. All this because I'm rethinking my range wall cabinetry layout.

• Fori
    10 years ago

Those are practically in different rooms! :P I don't think you need to be concerned with offset at all--just don't get them so close they look like you tried to line 'em up and missed!

• badgergal
    10 years ago

You should be perfectly fine with what you are planning. My ovens are just past my cooktop but only about 3 ft. I have my dishwasher to the right of my sink and there is plenty of room walk past it when it is open.
    I use the drawers opposite the dishwasher for my dish storage. It really makes unloading so easy.
    Just so you can get a visual, here is what 50 inches (counter to counter) looks like.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    10 years ago

illinigirl:

Excuse me, but from reading your post I assumed your sink and range were both in the island, opposite each other. Sorry.

• aloha2009
    10 years ago

Sounds like I will have a similar layout. We have chosen to have the corner of the range/cooktop "touch" the edge of the sink on the island, so no overlap. The reasoning behind that was to maximize one side of the island for prepping.

My SIL pointed out how much she loved having her sink directly across from her range. This is a kitchen mostly for show though. I've read a lot on GW not to have this arrangement but I've never seen how much to offset it. Here's hoping you get an answer to your specific question.

• illinigirl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thanks aloha,

I still don't really have an answer as to the MAXIMUM offset recommendation. hope someone might know.