Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lapannacotta

In search of metric cabinets

I'm looking for sources of well built reasonably priced METRIC sized cabinets. 30-60-90-120cm and so on. Just the cabinets, not the doors or fronts (have them)

The depth can be either metric or non metric

The height is 78.5 cm which is a standard metric size for cabinets.

Can anyone help?

I was hoping to get Ikea but they are only in inches now ):

Also - if I can't find stock cabinets in metric sizes, does anyone know the approx price for a cabinet maker to make a simple box cabinet - say 60cm, no drawers, built ins or anything, just the box in whatever cabinets are made of. Just a ballpark is fine. I'm in Massachusetts.

Many thanks!!

Comments (10)

• snoonyb
    10 years ago

I'd bet, that if you ask any of the bag-n-box cabinet mafgs. for the metric sizes of their cabinetry, they would provide it, or a conversion chart, if you are having difficulty finding that on your computer..........because the sizes are published on their web sites and in their brochures.

However, their may be a cabinet co. who, because of the vast demand for, has adjusted their tooling for the avalanche of demand.

Remember, a successful business responds, in a timely manner, to market demands.

• PRO
    CH Design & Photography
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you - am actually looking for the cabs to be made to cm measurements rather than just conversing cm to inches. Have specific doors that will fit only on 30cm, 60cm, 90cm, 120cm cabs.. sorry if I wasn't clear!

• snoonyb
    10 years ago

"Also - if I can't find stock cabinets in metric sizes, does anyone know the approx price for a cabinet maker to make a simple box cabinet - say 60cm, no drawers, built ins or anything, just the box in whatever cabinets are made of. Just a ballpark is fine."

You have already afforded yourself the "inches" alternative.

So, take a door to a local cabinet maker and ask for a price of a cabinet into which that door will fit.

The cabinets DO NOT need to be metric, in any shape or form.

• _sophiewheeler
    10 years ago

You're talking expensive to VERY expensive. Cabinet companies prefer to sell whole cabinets and penalize orders where that doesn't happen. Only European brands will offer their cabinets in actual metric sizes. German or Italian brands are among the most expensive to buy in the US. Snaderio, Alno, Pogghenpohl, Pedini, and Scavolini are the major players. But, given the US taste towards traditionalism, they aren't easily found outside major urban locations.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

IKEA is switching their cabinets to a new system, Metod, which has already happened in Europe. Who knows, maybe they'll switch to metric when they introduce it in the US? My early IKEA cabinets are actually metric.

• angie_diy
    10 years ago

Just get custom cabinets, like from Scherrs. Just convert the cabinet sizes to inch, and just specify that size in inches. For example, instead of saying 60 cm x 78.5 cm, tell them you want 23-5/8" x 30-15/16".

• bob_cville
    10 years ago

I was going to make the same suggestion as Angie DIY. Scherr's does completely custom cabinets. I had a 51" inch space and was debating between using a 36" two-door upper and a 15" one door upper and using a 30 inch two-door upper and a 21" one door upper. It finally occurred to me that since I was using a custom cabinet manufacturer I could just get a 34" two door upper and a 17" one door upper.

The best part with Scherr's is that their pricing makes sense, a 17" cabinet would cost most than a 15" cabinet, and probably a little less than an 18" cabinet, as opposed to the 17" cabinet costing 2 to 4 times as much as an 18" cabinet, which appears to be the norm everywhere else that calls themselves a custom cabinet manufacturer.

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

Just curious, why do you want metric sizes?

• PRO
    CH Design & Photography
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thanks everyone - especially Bob and Angie for the Scherrs suggestion. Called them y-day and they were friendly and reasonable - about 200-300 for a cab. I only need bottoms and only about 6 cabs at that, so I think it's doable. time to get the tape measure!

debrak - I need metric, because I have a set of about 10 metric doors with hinges and handles pre installed that I brought with me from my previous house which had metric cabs when we bought it - soon after we moved in the euro manufacturer sent me a second set for free as 1 or 2 had had problems and they were still under guarantee. Since I like the style and the brand is good all I need are the boxes. Nothing better or worse about metric or inches size, just happen to have them - had hoped to go the ikea route.. but then discovered ikea had only inches-sized cabs in the US.

if anyone has other suggestions i'd love them as would like to compare scherrs to someone else. i heard a company called viola park is also good but their price list on the web has very high numbers - about 2000 for a simple box! how can that possibly cost that much!!

my other option i suppose is to just buy the ikea run of cabs and save the euro doors for something else, might even be cheaper.. but i'd like to use up the doors as they are sitting around in big boxes!

• millworkman
    10 years ago

$2000 sounds expensive for sure but that is more than likely a "list price" and they would offer a discount depending on the size of your order.