Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
violetwest

Adding knobs to cabs

violetwest
9 years ago

I'm just starting to think about adding knobs to my kitchen and bath cabinets, which are sadly handleless.

My question for today: In looking at pictures of knobs (looking at smooth round glass knobs), many of them seem to have a very long shank. Like, 2 inches, which would obviously be way too long and stick out on the other side.

What gives? Are you supposed to cut that off or something? Or are those really for doors? Just a clueless newbie question, sorry.

Comments (14)

• jellytoast
    9 years ago

I'm unsure what you mean by "stick out on the other side." Can you post a picture of a knob you are considering?

• violetwest
    Original Author
    9 years ago

please note that I'm just starting to look at pictures and am not considering any knob in particular;

but I've come across stuff like this, in which the length of the shank is much longer than the thickness of my cabinet.

Are those just door knobs, not cabinet knobs? Can't tell from pictures; maybe "knobs" is too generic a term.

This post was edited by Violet.West on Tue, Nov 18, 14 at 12:30

• violetwest
    Original Author
    9 years ago

hmm, I clearly see cabinet knobs with those long shanks. I'll have to take another look at my kitchen cabs and drawers, but I doubt if they are more than 1/2" thick.

• jellytoast
    9 years ago

I have knobs on my bath cabinets and the shanks are not attached. As well, every sample knob that I received in my search (there were many from a number of different manufactures) were the same way. There is a hole in the back side of the knob, and a screw goes into that hole with the head of the screw on the inside of the cabinet door or drawer.

The knobs you are showing look like they would need a nut to attach them to the doors/drawers and any additional length on the shanks could be cut off.

• violetwest
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thank you; so, you buy the correct length screw separately?

I do not think I could cut the shanks off myself.

• jellytoast
    9 years ago

My knob samples always came with two different length screws. I didn't have to cut any off when I attached them.

• snoonyb
    9 years ago

The further the knob stands off from the cabinet, the greater the opportunity for snagged clothing, at the most in opportune moment.

Regarding the threaded rod; these are not normally used in a kitchen application, because even cutting them to length, leaves the nut and sharp cut end of the rod to obstruct and snag items placed within.

Typically, knobs used in cabinetry have only the rounded screw head inside the door/drawer.

• violetwest
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thank you. stuff found on the 'Net can be so misleading! I'm sure I'll have follow up questions if I ever get around to actually adding some hardware to my cabs.

• weedyacres
    9 years ago

We have those exact knobs (green bubble glass) in our bathroom. :-)

My understanding is that it's a "vintage" style of attachment. If you're using them on drawers that have a drawer front and a drawer box, you do need some extra length. But yeah, the modern way is to have a screw where the head is on the inside face of the door/drawer and it screws into the knob. There still can be length issues with those, though, since sometimes you only need 3/4" and sometimes you need double that.

We just cut off the extra length with a grinder wheel.

• Jillius
    9 years ago

We actually are literally experiencing this right now. Our cabinet maker just came and left after not being able to install our knobs from Rejuvenation, which came with 1" and 1.5" screws as jellytoast described. Our cabinet doors are 3/4" thick, so both screws were too long. Boooooooooo

This post was edited by Jillius on Tue, Nov 18, 14 at 17:35

• violetwest
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I think that's pretty strange. Do they make them extra long to accommodate all sizes and then expect you to cut them off?

I was thinking it couldn't be that hard to drill a hole and screw in a knob, but it seems like it's more complicated than that. I do not now, nor ever expect to own, rent, or operate a "grinder wheel."

This post was edited by Violet.West on Tue, Nov 18, 14 at 18:29

• maddielee
    9 years ago

I thought the long screws were for drawer pulls because they usually have to go through 2 layers of wood. The drawer box and the decorative panel that is on the drawer box.

Cabinet doors usually only have the one thickness of wood so the screws should be shorter.

ML

• violetwest
    Original Author
    9 years ago

that's a very good point. I just took a look at my kitchen drawers (few and useless as they are) and you're correct, they are twice as thick.

ALSO -- there's a screw right in the middle holding the panel and drawer box together; right where a single knob would go. So, I'd probably have to use a pull-type handle there. Which is not particularly what I want and wouldn't match the rest.

okay, much more complicated than I thought. phooey!

• snoonyb
    9 years ago

This is amazing; "Our cabinet maker just came and left after not being able to install our knobs from Rejuvenation, which came with 1" and 1.5" screws as jellytoast described. Our cabinet doors are 3/4" thick, so both screws were too long."

I've been installing cabinet hdw. for more than 35yrs and have carried a tool similar to this for that long; http://toolguyd.com/greenlee-combination-wire-stripper-crimper/

It can shorten screws from #4 too #10, including those commonly used to set hdw., which I carry from 3/4" too 2-1/2."

You see, driving around, costs money.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES