Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
becks128_gw

Kitchen backsplash help!

becks128
9 years ago

We recently built a new home. I would like to do something fun and different for my kitchen backsplash. My kitchen is pretty dark so I would like it to be all white. I fell in love with this quatrefoil backsplash (I taped it up to see how it would look). The problem, no one likes it!! Am I crazy?! I think once I get the (white) grout in it will look much better and really be a Statement piece to our ho-hum kitchen. I am looking for complete honesty here! I'm by no means an interior designer, I'm a stay at home mom that needs something fun in her kitchen! Thanks everyone

Comments (13)

• bobbie2010
    9 years ago

I love that pattern, I have the same problem. No one liked it but me. I was told bust counter and busy wall but my husband. I am going to look at a creamy color, maybe that will blend in more

• funkycamper
    9 years ago

I like it! But I wonder if it's a bit too busy against the somewhat busy graining in your counter? Do people tell you what it is they don't like about it?

Maybe your fun is best put into accessories like art on walls, fun pottery for often used utensils by stove, and things like that? A simpler backsplash would allow you to have fun with those types of things which are inexpensive to change when you want something different.

• becks128
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks! I think it looks busy too but the one at the store that was grouted was way more muted and less busy looking. I'm going to another store today to see what else I can find. A cream color is a good idea!! Thanks you guys so much

• eam44
    9 years ago

The shape is fine, and the tile is monochromatic so you're on the right track. When it is grouted it will look even quieter.

But the color is off. On my monitor the white is cool, and your counter is cream - warmer in tone, like everything else in the image. I know you want to brighten, but not every white will work. The image below is of Merola lantern tile in white. It's an off-white in this image (although I have no idea if it is in person). This is more the color you're looking for.

• sprtphntc7a
    9 years ago

i agree with others...just too busy, even when grouted....

i would go with a cream color also, the white is too stark with the espresso cabs and your granite looks more warm tone with the beige/gold colors....the right BS will enhance your granite not fight with it , as i feel that one does....

love the idea of accessories, those u can change often for less $$.....BS, not so much...

Good Luck :)

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

I like it, and don't think it's too busy, but I agree with EAM, it's too white.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Alternatively, how about going with some large format tiles with a bit of texture or variation?

• kelleg69
    9 years ago

I think that shape is actually called arabesque.It is a Morocccan shape, I believe. It kind of appeals to me too, but I think it might get dated quickly. That being said, I think that is the case with backslashes in general. I just looked up arabesque on Houzz and there are a lot of examples. Maybe take a look and show your family and see what you think. I do think it is a fun shape, just wonder if it isn't "classic." Good luck whatever you decide. I do understand your feeling as a stay at home mom, you want a backsplash that makes you happy. I chose a backsplash under my range that isn't necessarily to everyone's taste, but I love it.

• isabel98
    9 years ago

This shape has been around for centuriesâ¦and it's probably the kind of fun you are longing for. Maybe the color is off but is seems like it would be relatively easy to find this in a creamier white. And there are also more modern versions of this shape that would be fun as well. Just keep the tile all one color and match the grout.

• Hydragea
    9 years ago

I'm going to pile on and agree with EAM and isabel - cream would be better than white, and with a similar colour, will not look too busy.

• msrose
    9 years ago

I love it! Only you can tell if white or cream matches your countertop best since pictures can be deceiving. Your countertop reminds me of these and the white looks great.

• ainelane
    9 years ago

I think that's a really pretty back splash and will give you the kind of fun/interesting factor. I wouldn't be worried about the busyness at all. But I do agree that the color is wrong.
    If you want more specific color help, maybe try posting a pic more up close of the countertop and tile.

• amykath
    9 years ago

Like others have said. The color is fighting with your countertops. Maybe if it were a warmer off white?