Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
northcarolina_gw

Single vs double sink

northcarolina
13 years ago

Just thinking in advance of someday updating our kitchen...

So many of the beautiful kitchens I see here have single sinks. I have always used a double one: wash dishes on one side, put them in the other side to be rinsed under running water, then into a drain rack on the counter to dry. I get the point that you can fit bigger items into a single sink, but -- I guess my question is whether a double sink person can ever be happy with a single, or if it's some kind of genetic preference. ha. I don't care for plastic wash tubs (they are too small and, well, plastic, and you have to find a place to store them), and I don't always have a large pot handy in my pile of dirty dishes.

So obviously I will be looking for a double sink if/when we ever redo our kitchen (I don't much like our current sink*, that would be one reason to change things) -- but should I keep an open mind about singles? Have any double sink people happily made the switch?

Thanks!

And thanks to whomever posted that link with the convertible single-to-double sink. Clever! We shall see if it still exists when we are ready for a new one.

*The old sink is nice enough, it's cast iron, but it is white (constant staining) and top mount and I could swear it chips my dishes though my husband (who chose and installed it long before I came along) doesn't believe me. I want a stainless steel sink. Preferably with two big built-in drain boards, one on each side for dish drying and veggie washing, though if I had an undermount sink I might not care so much about the built in drain boards.

Comments (13)

• billp1
    13 years ago

We have a single sink. Everything goes from table to dishwasher. Not much cleaned in the sink except a hard to clean pot or fry pan..

• juliet3
    13 years ago

I went from a double to a single sink. Won't go back to a double now. the single is great. Mine fits the 30" cabinet base which was the biggest sink cabinet I could fit in my kitchen. On the other hand, if you are going to get a double bowl sink, you need a 36" cabinet base to allow the double bowls large enough to be useful.

• davidro1
    13 years ago

Dishwashers do more than they used to. They perform more. They are better. Before renovating (in the last 12 months), I had a dishwasher built in 1982. I'm happy letting the dishwasher take what the sink used to take. We went with a medium sized single sink and we hang a colander or rack over it when we want to wash or air dry something.

• creative_glo
    13 years ago

I vote for single. I had one in my condo. It was nice and deep and could fit any pot. When I got married I went double again (in more ways than one!). Now I have to stop and pay attention to which side the disposal is on! I think if you usually wash dishes by hand a double will be your obvious choice. In fact that is why sinks were almost always double prior to dishwashers. If you use your dishwasher most of the time you'll be happy with a single and you will even pick up a bit of counter space. The typical double bowl sink takes up a 33" or 36" wide cabinet whereas most singles fit into 24"-30".

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchens for Living

• eandhl
    13 years ago

I am one that really misses a second sink. I always kept one clean for the rare item to drain that didn't go into the DW and washing veggies. This kit is small so I did a large single knowing I would have to change my habits. Every time I want to wash greens I have to clean the sink. Even though single sinks are the popular ones I think you have to think about your prep, work in your kit & what changes you will make.

• fly964
    13 years ago

I went from double to single but back to double. My big single deep sink was great but since i don't use huge pots all the time, i felt the double would be more useful. So now with my new kitchen I bought a Franke Vision double sink. It should be installed next week. I don't care much about the trend but one of the kitchen showroom person told me that these days single bowl sinks are more popular....

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

I vote for the double sink, but would definitely pick stainless steel. That's what my mom has and it is easier on the dishes...and much easier to clean :)

• monkeymo
    13 years ago

You don't have to choose! I came across this sink in my searches and thought is was cool especially if you are planning on doing stainless....It is one large sink with a divider that turns it into two sinks.

From a compnay called Dawnusa

• northcarolina
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Monkeymo -- yes! I saw that post earlier. Such a cool idea; I wonder if the divider keeps working well over time. The funny thing is, those are our cabinets too, only ours are from 1980-something. [grin]

• francoise47
    13 years ago

Monkeymo -- very cool! Northcarolina: I wondered the same thing about how well the divider works. Oh well, I'd probably just lose it anyway.

Does anyone out there actually have a Dawnusa sink like this?

• Buehl
    13 years ago

Have you seen this thread?

Here is a link that might be useful: Thread: Double bowl versus single?

• formerlyflorantha
    13 years ago

I'm the one who bought two Kohler cast-iron topmount sinks, a double basin and a single large size basin. I don't regret either.

After 3 months of our new, functioning plumbing, it's clear that the double is the standard place for washing things unless they're oversized things. I swear that this sink is deeper than my previous Kohler double--items really do hide from general vision in it. Have been trying the tea-towel drying technique, eliminating a dish drainer, at least for now, and I don't seem to miss a drainer.

Then there's the big single basin "Mayfield" sink on my peninsula. We are still getting used to having it so I can't speak to all the glories it offers. In planning, I had wanted one "big enough for a pumpkin" (in other words, for washing garden produce that arrives in basket loads at certain times), but it's proved to be great for other things--soaking and scrubbing broiler pans, dehydrator trays, refrigerator racks and drawers, and items found deep back on garage shelves that need a bath. It's not so big that it's out of proportion on a 41" wide peninsula. When I work with smaller things there, I have a grid in bottom that I can leave them on when finished--rinsed out teapot, for example, or a colander used during salad prep, or clean veg. They're out of the way of the sitters at peninsula that way.

Last night, DH arrived from a hunting trip with a lot of pheasants and ducks. At the big "prep" sink he was able to deal with the feathery, bloody mess and prepare the birds for vacuum packing all in one place, without bothering the double sink area where clean things were drying.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!