Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tom_shelton

paint splatter on soapstone

Tom Shelton
9 years ago

I have a leathered soapstone countertop. I am looking to use a wax enhancer on it. But I want to thoroughly clean it before using it. I have noticed some paint splatters from wall and cabinet touchups. What is the best and safest way to clean that off?

Comments (8)

• live_wire_oak
    9 years ago

Can you post a picture? "Leathered" isn't a term usually associated with soapstone, and I'm hesitant to give you the usual recommendation would would be to just take a scrubby to it and scrub it off.

• cookncarpenter
    9 years ago

I too have not heard the term "leathered" for soapstone.
    If it is just a matte finish, almost any abrasive is safe on soapstone. A green or blue sponge scrubby, or even sandpaper works.
    I'd also like to see what your stone looks like... chris

• Swentastic Swenson
    9 years ago

I used a wet paper towel wrapped around straight edge razor blade - that seemed to work well without scratching.

• Tom Shelton
    Original Author
    9 years ago

here are some pictures I have on hand

• kevdp4
    9 years ago

We have installed leathered soapstone more than once.
    Clean it with a solvent, whatever is required to remove that type of paint (Lacquer thinner, paint thinner or acetone). It will not hurt the stone.

• Tom Shelton
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, Kevdp4. How do you do the caulking between the soapstone backsplash and counter? If you are going to use oil or wax do you caulk it after or before? You can see the dark line at the intersections on the 4th picture

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Try a razor blade.

• kevdp4
    9 years ago

Caulk before applying oil or wax. Why didn't the installers caulk it?

Razor blades can easily damage soapstone so be careful.