Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
doonie_gw

Finished Addition (only for the curious;)

doonie
13 years ago

I know many of you have seen my kitchen and the other bits, but here are some photos of the rest of this big project. It was enormously

exhausting, and I am still trying to unwind from a year of complete project absorption. So, if you are interested, here are the pictures

& and explanations of the project.

We added a mudroom off of the kitchen,with a skylight. We also added a full sized laundry room with a sink. The black refrigerator

is our old frige and when it poops out, we will get an upright freezer for in there. A powder room was also added so that people could

reach the bathroom easier (without walking on the hardwood floors) from the pool. We also did a covered porch with a wood burning fireplace.

The raised ceiling is supposed to tie in with our 2 story foyer, great room and vaulted kitchen.

The floor throughout the addition is Florida Tile Chiseled Edge Travertine in Modular pattern & Picasso Color (for Advert guy;)

Like most of you know, I love all the light this addition has let in.

Kitchen

{{gwi:1554059}}

{{gwi:1554061}}

Eating area

{{gwi:1621848}}

Ceiling of Vaulted eating area

{{gwi:1973671}}

Mudroom

{{gwi:1588626}}

Entry into Laundry room

{{gwi:1973672}}

To the right in the laundry room

{{gwi:1973673}}

To the left

{{gwi:1973674}}

Powder room

{{gwi:1973675}}

{{gwi:1973676}}

Outside Laundry room/Powder room entrance

{{gwi:1973677}}

Full Basement under addition

{{gwi:1973678}}

Covered Patio

{{gwi:1973679}}

Fireplace & seating wall

{{gwi:1973680}}

Patio with rasied ceiling

{{gwi:1973681}}

Built in Grill

{{gwi:1973682}}

We also restained our red oak floor darker (it was natural before) and replaced our flimsy stair rails.

New floor color

{{gwi:1973683}}

New Railings

{{gwi:1893331}}

I am happy to try and answer questions and give my lay persons advice to the best of my ability. All of this took from February 2010 through August 2010 and was made possible by a phenomenal GC.

Comments (41)

• monkeymo
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

That is all so beautiful! Love your outdoor space. Did you put a sink outside?

• Susan
    13 years ago

gorgeous! love the powder room wall. is it wall paper? cork?

• ladyamity
    13 years ago

HOLY MOLY!

*picks jaw up off desk*

This is one beautiful addition...ALL OF IT!

That powder room is twice as big as my master bathroom and soooo exquisitely done!

The outdoor area *swoon* is my dream outdoor area (should I win some lotto or have a long-lost rich relative die and leave me some $$$$,it's exactly what I would want!)

Your colors, your style...everything flows together perfectly!!!

OK, now I am gonna go pout and throw a raw egg at my laundry room. *grin*

You made beautiful choices with a perfect end result.

And I loved seeing your furbabes in the pics...too sweet!

• granite-girl
    13 years ago

Beautiful Stuff! I love the vaulted ceiling! And the out door space ..... WOW! Is that a tile mosaic on the wall behind the powder room sink ?

• katsmah
    13 years ago

Absolutely beautiful. I love the vaulted ceiling.

• doonie
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks!

The powder room wall is made of glazed pebbles which were then grouted.

Here's a closeup of the wall:
    {{gwi:1973684}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Strata Stones

• eieio-5
    13 years ago

Wow...we must live in a parallel universe because this is almost the exact addition I'm planning for my house when the mortgage is paid off in a few years. It will be so nice not having wet people tromping through my house to get to the bathroom! What is the wall treatment in your powder room?

• advertguy2
    13 years ago

Thanks a lot for posting the floor pics. I believe that just sealed the deal for me. Philadelphia is quite similar to the Picasso you have.

Any issues with the chisseled edge?

I was a bit worried that it would look too busy over an entire floor when compared to standard travertine, but it really doesn't.

Thanks again and awesome vaulted ceiling.

• laxsupermom
    13 years ago

You already know I love your kitchen with the drool worthy Niermann Weeks Chandy in the vaulted beamed ceiling, but Holy Cow! I'm completely head over heels in love with the outside portion of your addition project. Gorgeous! If you come home to find random strangers sitting around your fireplace on your patio, you'll know your GW friends came and found you.

• doonie
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Advertguy,

I was worried about the chiseled edge too, but it has been worry free. It looks a lot different before it is grouted, though. So, be prepared.
    I don't see dirt on it, and with kids and 4 animals, that was important to me. I am glad my photos were able to help you!

• joan2121
    13 years ago

WOW!!! absolutely gorgeous! LOVE LOVE the vaulted ceiling. You must just love being in your new space!! I am so jealous- I want all that light! Congrats and enjoy

• homechef
    13 years ago

Beautiful house! Love the vaulted ceiling eating area, and all the rest.

Advertguy, not to highjack the thread, but have you looked at Travertine Mart? I got my chiseled edge french pattern travertine from them, great stuff and good pricing.

• dianalo
    13 years ago

Love everything but am disappointed at no close up of the backsplash!

When my house grows up, I hope it looks like yours ;)

• doonie
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ok. Twist my arm. Here's the backsplash again...

{{gwi:1972679}}

• brickton
    13 years ago

Stunning, all of it. Particularly the vaulted ceiling.

What color and finish did you do for your oak floors? They look great.

• gbsim1
    13 years ago

Oh heavens Doonie, its all just gorgeous!

But can anyone ever actually eat in the dining room? I'd spend my whole mealtime looking up at the beautiful ceiling and my food would get cold!!!!

• kmmartini
    13 years ago

Congratulations Doonie!

You have been and continue to be my inspiration (I even have the same hand towel as yours in the powder room - LOL!) - what a masterpiece!

I LOVE LOVE LOVE everything, you must be so happy to look at it all and enjoy the light and warm colors.

Thanks for sharing your space with us and for being so helpful with questions! :)

Enjoy your new space!

• bmorepanic
    13 years ago

Wow, that's very pretty. I like the outdoor space a lot.

• mythreesonsnc
    13 years ago

Doonie --- It is amazing.... but of course based on the kitchen I knew it would be! So many fabulous details --- the powder room wall is really neat, and your rear area is the coolest --- you must love it out there. I have that same furniture (Frontgate Carlisle, right?) and love it. I am not sure about my favorite feature, but to mention a few... your new stair rail looks great, the laundry with a window(s), so very nice, the hardwood darkening was such a great decision, and of course, but I've said this before, your backsplash and that unbelievable Niermann Weeks chandelier. My husband is not usually impressed with these pics, but when I showed him your "below the chandelier shot," he was impressed! Trust me, that is impressive. Congrats on such a successful project and now relax and enjoy..

• trailrunner
    13 years ago

Everything sure turned out beautifully. I am so enamored of that ceiling and the light fixture...but then there is nothing not to like. I sure hope you will post pics of some of the great meals that you are cookin' outside as well as in ! c

• cat_mom
    13 years ago

Oh my! HUGE and wonderful. Nothing more to say! :-)

• ejbrymom
    13 years ago

WOW! *picking up jaw off floor*
    Seriously what an amazing addition! What wonderful spaces you have created! Love your kitchen especially the ceiling! The pebble wall in the bathroom is gorgeous. The outdoor covered patio is a wonderful space - love the fireplace! What a large laundry room too!
    Really beautiful!

• dianalo
    13 years ago

Thank you again for the bs. Everything is stunning!

• Jon T
    13 years ago

Absolutely fantastic. I love everything. I'd trade you my granite for 1/4 of your space. ;-)

Jon

• remodelfla
    13 years ago

Is it possible to actually LOVE a ceiling?... must be...

• cpartist
    13 years ago

Spectacular. I hope mine looks half as good when I'm done with my condo.

• newcastlemom
    13 years ago

I'm always going to love that vaulted ceiling. The outdoors just draws you into the fresh air; on a warm day I'd plop down and not ever want to get up. You did such an amazing job, Doonie. Thanks for sharing these with us.

• doonie
    Original Author
    13 years ago

A big thanks to all!

Monkeymo, we put a 36" grill and a 2 "plate" gas side burner along with a sink in our outside kitchen. During the winter, we have
    to turn off the water to the sink (which we have already done this year!)

Brickton, the floors are quite a story. There are actually 2 stains on them. My GC oversaw the staining while we were gone on spring break.
    I left him with a photo of what color I wanted the floors. Apparrently when the flooring guys did the stain initially, my GC told them it
    wasn't right and to fix it. So, they put another coat on of something else. Anyway, I didn't know any of this had gone on while on
    vacation. So, I arrived home to the perfect color of floor that I wanted. So, I am not sure what all they ended up using, but they started
    with Provincial. I can find out more, if you want.

Mythreesonsnc, Thanks for your words. They've made my day;)

Trailrunner, I hope to be cooking something other than nasty smushed cauliflower soon. When I lose the addition fluffiness. Then I'll
    be posting fun food photos with you!

Thanks again for letting me share my photos and passion. It's great to be able to share with other similarily obsessed kitchen folk!
    I had no kitchen designer help, so I felt like I was out on a limb with all the countless decisions and style choices. Your words have made
    me very happy! Hopefully I can remember how to relax now:) And maybe help someone else out along the way....

• judydel
    13 years ago

Just gorgeous . . . all of it! I love the idea of having such a comfortable and inviting outdoor space attached to the house complete with outdoor kitchen. I hope you entertain a lot because your home is begging to be shared with friends and family! I forget, what part of the country are you in? Near me????

Isn't it nice having a separate and organized laundry room and mud room? With our kitchen remodel/addition we also built a new laundry room, mud room and guest bath. Our project began the fall of 2007 and we are just now ALMOST done with all the loose ends. Yours went FAST. Congrats.

• chicagoans
    13 years ago

Wow, that's a stunner! You are going to have so much fun decorating for the holidays. I hope you're hosting a dinner or party or two! People will love to see what you've done.

• TxMarti
    13 years ago

I love it, love it , love it! The minute I saw your first photo, I said (out loud) "Oh my gosh!" and dh jumped to his feet and asked what happened, what's wrong. I was so excited to show him your range hood design and thought he would be too. He was less, a lot less, excited than I was to see it, but at least now he knows what I've been trying to describe to him. That is almost exactly what I want to do. Can you take a photo from the bottom looking up into it for me, pretty please?

I love everything you've done in the house, and especially the kitchen and dining area. That ceiling is just to die for.

• formerlyflorantha
    13 years ago

If your goal was airiness, tasteful elegance, a functional flow through the spaces, and a high-end ambiance, you got it. Otherwise, you've failed miserably.

• doonie
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks all who took the time to leave some positive feedback! Chicagoans, we did have some folks over last night, however, not TKOers, so very little comments:( I had to resist the urge to take them through the kitchen and show them what's inside my drawers!! I am thrilled with the function of this kitchen. I guess the layout is more semi galley. Anyway the fact that these words are here makes me feel confident and not worry that the people didn't say too much about the kitchen.

Marti8a, I got so many great ideas from so many different kitchens on GW. Isn't it a wonderful site! Here's a photo from under the
    hood in the kitchen:
    {{gwi:1973685}}

And closer up
    {{gwi:1973686}}
    Hope that helps!

Florantha, thank you again!!! You all are great!

• hydrangea_luvr
    13 years ago

Wow! This is absolutely lovely! You must be so excited and happy. This is truly gorgeous. I really love that ceiling.

• TxMarti
    13 years ago

Yes, that helps a lot. Thank you. Now I know what to look for when buying a hood.

• amck2
    13 years ago

I echo all the sentiments above about how functional and beautiful a space you've created.

I read on kitchendetective's post that she thought the VB Auden dinnerware would be a perfect match for you. I agree. The style & colors in your backsplash would complement it beautifully.

And since you've posted a picture, may I ask what is the breed of your black dog? I did a double take when I first saw him (her?). Looks exactly like our black dog, Puck.

• doonie
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Amck,

Thank you! I really like that dinnerware. It may take some time for me to work towards that. I replaced my old white dishes with
    green/black stoneware from Crate & Barrel about 4 years ago. DH just looked at me when I showed him the picture of the VB Auden. I had
    to tell him, not right away, but sometime...in the future. So, I am not sure of my time horizon for the dishes. Maybe I could use the Crate
    & Barrel dishes as my outdoor kitchen dishes, then I, of course, I would need new kitchen dishes;)

The dog came in the middle of our addition. He is actually a Giant Schnoodle..half
    giant schanauzer & half standard poodle. He is non shedding and hypoallergenic. He's a very sweet doggie!

• Susied3
    13 years ago

Hi Doonie, I love EVERYTHING about your addition, kitchen, outside space, and eating area.

So, my question will seem so simplistic!

What color did you use in your laundry room?
    It's just what I'm looking for mine.
    Thanks!

• doonie
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Susied3,

Thanks! The laundry room (and the powder room) are painted BM Palladian Blue.

• jterrilynn
    13 years ago

There is so much to love about your house...oh those ceilings are to die for. If it were mine I would be living at that outdoor fireplace. My dream is to have a set-up that looks like that but with a pizza oven. Everything is very beautiful.

• amck2
    13 years ago

Aha..I recognized the -oodle part! Our Puck is a lab/poodle mix. We have his sister, Riley, too (she's cream colored). We really appreciate the non-shedding aspect, especially with a pair.

If/when you ever want to acquire any of the VB Audun, a great online source I used was DinnerwareEtc. Their everyday 50% off prices even beat those at the nearby VB outlet store. At the time I ordered they also offered free shipping.