Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fourhappy

Butler's Pantry - would this work

fourhappy
9 years ago

Here is a drawing of our possible kitchen renovation plans (work in progress). I had the butler's pantry drawn into the plans. I am also including an inspiration picture ...would this space be able to fit what my inspiration is? The pantry connects the kitchen to the dining room. HOpefully you can see the measurements in the picture if not let me know. It's not shown but the length of the space from the kitchen into the dining room is about 5 feet.
I will have to post the inspiration picture as a separate post following this as I am also unsure of how to put two pics in the post...

Comments (22)

• fourhappy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Inspiration picture

• HomeChef59
    9 years ago

Even though you a planning on a second sink in the pantry, I would strongly consider a prep sink in the island. The refrigerator seems very far away from the sink in the plan provided.

Also, if you flip the pantry plan so the sink backs up to the powder room plumbing, it may be cheaper to install the plumbing. It may not be much, every little bit helps.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

What do you expect to use the sink in the pantry for? And what is that area labeled "vestibule"?

• fourhappy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

the only reason why i didn't consider flipping it is because I think it will look nicer from the dining room seeing the open cabinets - that would also be viewable form the front door a little more. I am not sold on the sink - I think it was just drawn in there - I think I will get rid of that sink and instead have one in the island.

I think she put "vestibule" in there to somewhat close off the two entries that will show. You have the entry from the mudroom and then the entry to the butler's pantry so maybe she included that to close off that space a bit. Is that a bad idea?

• blfenton
    9 years ago

So will there actually be two walls at the end of the counter runs closing off the vestibule?

IT would be claustrophobic for me. You would be entering a cave-like room to go into the butlers pantry if I'm understanding this plan correctly.

Maybe with adequate lighting it would be ok but I would consider removing the walls and just ending at the end of the counters and keeping it open.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

I just don't understand the purpose -- why would you close off the butler's pantry from the kitchen?

• fourhappy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

i can get rid of those walls, i'm not sure why she chose to include them in.

as for the actual layout is there enough space in the actual butler's pantry to achieve the look I want. I don't know if there is, I was hoping to have the same look as the cabinets for china or glasses and such and maybe make that are a beverage center for coffee maker and maybe a wine/beverage cooler, but not sure that would fit in the given space...

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

I can't read the dimensions on your plan - what are the depths of the cabinets/counters on the right and left of the butler's pantry?

• detroit_burb
    9 years ago

looks like a bottleneck. homes with those walk thru butlers pantry setups always have another easy access with an open floor plan if they are to work well.

• kompy
    9 years ago

I would:

1. If you keep vestibule (angular room), extend cabinets from the butler pantry in to this space...make as one room.

OR

2. Delete angled vestibule. Extend kitchen cabinets and counter and end in to a straight wall (BP). Move BP door down a bit to allow for 24" deep cabinets. You'll probably have to have shallow 12" deep cabinets on the other side (tall shallow pantries) that back up to the half bath.

• fourhappy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

the measurements of the space are:
    1' 9 5/8 '' pantry space
    3' 2 7/8'' walkway
    1' 6'' area with sink (which i don't think is deep enough)

It is a very open floor plan and there is also entry to the dining room from around the other side of the bathroom (which is how we currentlly access the space).

I can't extend kitchen cabinets straight through to the BP b/c that cuts off the entry door from the garage/mudroom.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

We had the same arrangement in our old house. Looking at it from the same perspective as your drawing, our pantry for canned and boxed goods was on the right and was 12" deep (easier to find things - nothing gets lost in the back). The aisle was about 3'. On the left was a broom closet and another closet with pull-outs, both 24" deep (the closet with pull-outs held all the baking supplies, small appliances, etc.). It served as the entrance to the dining room from the kitchen (there were other ways to access to the dining room via the front hall, and also through the living room). It worked just fine. I would do away with the vestibule however (the one difference in ours was when you exited the "pantry" into the kitchen, the shared wall between the pantry and kitchen had no cabinets on it -- and that was the main pathway from the front hall to the family room. Still worked just fine.

• colleenoz
    9 years ago

I can't help but wonder if the person who designed your kitchen actually cooks, because your work triangle (sink-stove-refrigerator) is huge, with the island smack in the middle of it. If you cook a lot, IMO that is going to get old really quickly.

• fourhappy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I haven't consulted yet with a kitchen designer. this is all from our architect so once we start shopping for everything for the kitchen I will probably consult more with the KD...unless anyone here has suggestions off the bat, obviously open to anything.

• fourhappy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

what would the recommended depth be for a counter on that one side with cabinets above and below?

• practigal
    9 years ago

As I understand it the vestibule opens onto the kitchen, the mudroom and the Butler's pantry. I would expect that you would not have a door between the kitchen and the vestibule or between the Butler's pantry and the vestibule or between the Butler's pantry and the dining room and your inspiration picture show no doors. However I would expect there to be a door to the mudroom and I don't see space for a door there to open conveniently. Are you planning on a sliding door there? I think that instead of having a regular doorway from the kitchen into the vestibule, I would be inclined to make this an open space as I do not think the look of an angled wall in the kitchen will be attractive.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

Good point about the door to the mud room - a regular door would hit the basement door, so it will have to be a pocket door into the kitchen.

• fourhappy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

i don't think there is a plan to have a door there. the door that's coming in is from the garage into the mudroom and then entrance right into the kitchen - i don't think it's necessary to have a door there. i don't want to open 2 doors when i'm coming in with arm fulls of groceries...

• practigal
    9 years ago

I was hunting for my own inspiration this a.m. and found this corner door, something to help visualize (or confirm the no door look)

• kompy
    9 years ago

Today, I ran across this photo of a vestibule like you are planning and I thought of you. It is IDENTICAL! Here it is on Houzz, click link below. I think it looks nice, actually.

KOMPY

Here is a link that might be useful: [Angled vestibule to garage and butler pantry[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/southlake-transitional-traditional-kitchen-dallas-phvw-vp~16729133)

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

That actually does look great - gives new meaning to "a picture is worth 1000 words".

• Jeannine Fay
    9 years ago

It does look overly convoluted to me. Why can't you just have a door(pocket?) from the mud room into the kitchen? I don't understand the purpose of a vestibule if you have a mud room. You have "pantry" listed in the BP. is that where you intend to store non refrigerated food? That is a real hike if you ask me.

The BP just seems like a whole separate room rather than an extension of the kitchen. Or were you thinking of it as an extension of the other adjacent room. Is that a dining room that the BP opens into?

Sponsored
Miller Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Franklin County's Trusted Custom Cabinetry Solutions