Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
czarinalex

Opinions on flooring choice

czarinalex
9 years ago

We are remodeling our lake house. The whole house has been gutted including the kitchen. The cabinets are a good quality dark oak. While they might not have been my first choice, I like them and we decided to reuse them.

Here is a picture of the kitchen before demo.

and another view:

The flooring we use in the kitchen will also be in the front door entry hall so I want something durable. The overall look I am going for is a clean classic rustic look.(is there such a thing?). I have always loved slate and am thinking of this one:

I'm thinking a lighter colored granite or quartz for counters. The kitchen has the two big windows on either side of the stove and we are adding 3 skylights to bring in more natural light.

I'm worried that the dark slate with the dark cabinets will be a big blob of dark!

Opinions would be greatly appreciated!

This post was edited by Marisa99 on Fri, Nov 7, 14 at 11:15

Comments (22)

• emma
    9 years ago

I don't like dark rooms and I would not take the chance. I have lino that looks so much like wood it fooled the lady that does my floors. She was amazed. It is a light color.

• czarinalex
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Searching around the web, I found this picture. The cabinets are definitely more modern than mine, but I think the combo looks pretty good.
    What do you think?

• bmorepanic
    9 years ago

This'll sound stupid, but stone is hard and inflexible. Your subfloor needs to be much stronger to lay stone than tile. Find out about that before committing to the idea. Also, any piece of ceramic or glass that is dropped on the floor will smash into pieces.

If you are an older person, stone is hard and feels cold. I cook a fair amount and found it hard on the knees. And the cold feeling (closer to its absorbing all the heat from your feel).

I found that a solid dark floor color showed more dust and dirt than lighter shades.

Good luck choosing - it's always a hard fight between decorating goals and practicality.

• Jillius
    9 years ago

Slate floors don't really say "rustic" to me. I think more of wood floors. Perhaps wood-look porcelain tiles for the durability? They look incredible these days, and I say that as someone who usually avoids all things that are attempting to look like something else.

You could get a medium tone so dust/dirt won't show so much.

• pricklypearcactus
    9 years ago

I love the combination of dark slate and dark cabinets. I would definitely go with lighter countertop though. I have been in a home with dark (cherry) cabinetry and dark slate floors and dark (gray I think) countertops. It was really pretty and dramatic, but a little dark. I am planning to do dark stone floors (Ostrich gray slate) with medium dark cherry cabinets and white and/or light gray countertops, so I may be biased.

I think your inspiration picture is a great example. You also seem to have a lot of large windows in the room. I would also add plentiful lighting (recessed fixtures, pendants, and under cabinet lighting if possible) to deal with evenings. The slate you've pictured looks clean and modern but a little rustic since it's stone. I think it's a great choice.

• arch123
    9 years ago

I think you need to think about lighting in your kitchen - What kind of ceiling do you have?

• desertsteph
    9 years ago

Marisa99 - the pic w/ cab like yours and the slate floor look fine.
    I do agree with the post about it being hard on legs, knees, feet, back. and showing dirt / dust more than lighter floors.

and yes, check the subfloor to be sure it will support slate.

• Niki Friedman
    9 years ago

I love slate but our KD advised against it for our mudroom and I think she was right. Have you ever felt slate? The natural grooves can hurt! You can stub or scrape your toe very easily.

We just ordered a 2.30/SQ ft porcelain tile from lowes that looks similar to slate but without the pain.

I love the look of wood or the wood porcelain but it you want a slate look, I highly recommend this tile.

Here is a link that might be useful: Galvano Tile

• joygreenwald
    9 years ago

I love the look of slate, but I would want something cushier. Have you thought about doing a stone look luxury vinyl? We have Cortec Petrified Forest, but that might be more rustic than you are looking for. There are a lot of choices in luxury vinyl, and you can even grout some of them. This is in process photo of our lighter cherry cabinets with the petrified forest and darker counters. Your cabinets will be darker, but you'll have more light and lighter counters. I think it should work

• amykath
    9 years ago

Here is an idea of what a light wood floor would look like with you cabs.

• friedajune
    9 years ago

I am sorry, but "rustic look" and "slate" do not go together. I also agree with the posters who say that slate will be hard on your feet.

• Jeannine Fay
    9 years ago

How about a slate look alike but porcelain instead? The advantage is that you do not have to seal them, they will not flake, you don't have to have any extra subfloor and it is a lot less expensive. A good one is super durable as well.

The link I'm attaching is for an example made by Daltile. I have it in my mudroom and it looks really nice. I think the Brazilian green color would look nice with your cabinets because it will pick up some of the brown from the wood. It is not a jarring green by any means. It looks very neutral but I think a little more rustic that that gray you were showing pictures of. That pattern and color reads very modern to me and I don't see it blending with your cabinets. A hopscotch pattern for the tile is more classic and it think would go better.

Here is a link that might be useful: Daltile-Continental Slate

• jellytoast
    9 years ago

Agree with the posters who suggest a porcelain look-alike for slate. I have slate on my outdoor patio and sidewalks and while it is lovely, the irregular surface and occasional flaking would make me re-think choosing it for an interior floor. Outdoors it is easy to hose off, but cleaning indoor slate would be a pain, IMO.

• czarinalex
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks all for your comments. Much to think about.

A little more background.... the kitchen is open to the large 20x30 living room. We are putting wood floors in the LR. While I love the look of an expansive cohesive floor, the wood we are looking at is close in color to the kitchen cabinets. I don't think that color wood flooring will look good in the kitchen. We are considering looking at lighter colored wood flooring for everything.

The kitchen ceiling is now raised to 10 feet and will have 3 skylights centered. It will be sheetrock, painted white.

The slate I am looking at is honed and has a very flat surface.. not irregular at all. It will not flake and is easy to clean. I've had porcelean floors in other kitchens so I know the pitfalls of standing on such a hard surface. I don't see the stone as being harder on the feet and legs than ceramic.

We currently have a slate look porcelain tile in our year round house. It's on the main floor entry and adjoining family room. While I love the look of it, there is nothing like having the real thing.

If we go with the slate, we'll consider the lighting carefully. Thanks for pointing that out.

We are providing a sample to our contractor so he can advise us on the weight factor. The slate is very heavy and it is a concern since the area is quite large.

I do think slate is a rustic look, although the size and cut of this stone suggests a more modern approach. I guess that's one of the things I like about it. I'm trying to create a more modern comfortable lake house with clean traditional lines. I know it sounds kind of muddled but I definitely don't want the "lake house" look of heavy woods, darker colors and country kitsch.

• jellytoast
    9 years ago

"I do think slate is a rustic look ... "

I agree. And you're right ... there is no substitute for the real thing. Honed and sealed, it should be lovely and durable. I know that my slate, even with the occasional flaking, has held up beautifully outdoors and still looks great after many years.

• gr8daygw
    9 years ago

I think it sounds great! It would look so pretty with a white background granite with gray/blue veins with touches of burgundy and gold, like this:

[Traditional Kitchen[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2107) by Waterloo Design-Build Firms Schnarr Craftsmen Inc

I would like it even better with your color scheme. I like putting modern things with rustic or antique things. Somehow it works well. I dislike the heavy look of all one period and love mixing it up. I think you are definitely on to the right color scheme. Love the flooring and the shape of the tiles.

• czarinalex
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Gr8day: Thanks for the inspiration picture! So pretty!

I am thinking about doing a white or cream island with seating. I do know that I will be adding crown moulding to the cabinets, pretty sure I'll have carrera subway tile. Not sure of the wall color though...

Thanks again.

• Niki Friedman
    9 years ago

Marissa99- can you post the brand of slate tile you are using that doesn't have rough edges? The samples we ordered while beautiful were really sharp. I was worried that my kids and their friends would get hurt coming into the mudroom after swimming.

• czarinalex
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The slate I am considering is called Montauk Black. It comes from Brazil and Home Depot has it in 12x24 and 12x12 sizes. The reviews are good and the sample I got from my local store is beautiful!

Here is a link that might be useful: Montauk Black Slate

• Hydragea
    9 years ago

I like the slate with the wood cabinets. They go nicely together. Light counters should keep things light enough, esp. with skylights.
    In a cottage/vacation home, it's nice to have dark floors to hide dirt!

• Niki Friedman
    9 years ago

Wow that's pretty. Wish I would have known about it before I order my slate-like porcelain. It gets such great reviews!