Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
boops2012

Thinking about number of plugs and phone line.

boops2012
11 years ago

I know its difficult w/o diagrams but I am tech-challenged. I will need to get DHs help to upload .So hopefully, you can follow along.

L shaped kitchen.Plugs for coffee maker and toaster are a must. A 2 plug outlet is planned for the prep area for occasional appliances Should I place a few more - In case? Should they all be 4 plug outlets?Should I keep hardwired phone line with a plug nearby? We use phone thru cable but in case of storms ( in Central Fl) taking out cable, i might need a phone line.

I know some of you dislike outlets on backsplash but this is just easier/cheaper.

Comments (13)

• skidkid
    11 years ago

Code in my area requires a plug be within 2' of any location on the counter. Counter is any counter deeper than 10" (I think that dimension is correct, maybe it was 12"). Anyway, that means you need a receptacle every 4' no matter what. My electrician tells me that the each of the walls needs to be on a separate circuit and they all must be GFI.

With the above in mind you need two circuits, 3 with an island, and more receptacles. All my my receptacles are 2 plug not 4.

I ditched hard wired phone entirely so I don't have any wiring for that in the kitchen. If I were to wire it would be with Cat5 or Cat6 cable so that is supports Ethernet. I have some of that run around the house but even that isn't getting used much any longer.

Should the power/cable go out you can use a cell phone. The cell system is pretty robust now and the towers all have backup generators.

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

I would skip the phone but have a hard wire somewhere else in the house. I store my emergency phone in our bedroom and plug in when needed.
    Stick to your plan but consider additional plug mold under cabinet vs more outlets on backsplash. Another option are mockett plugs.
    On the road but I am sure you can see pictures of our kitchen in GW
    Code requires an outlet every 2 feet which is a double every 4 feet.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    11 years ago

>Should the power/cable go out you can use a cell phone. The cell system is pretty robust now and the towers all have backup generators.

This is so not true in FL, at least in my part of FL. Cell service goes down and stays down for a while after a major storm. Towers fall, so the generators don't matter.

• suzanne_sl
    11 years ago

If you choose to keep a landline in the kitchen, you need to plan a place for it that isn't in the way. In our case we built a niche into the wall

which has its own cable connection and outlet

There are other options of course, but the point is, it needs to be somewhere other than on a work surface. If you only keep the land line for emergencies, I would put it somewhere other than the kitchen.

For outlets in general, I wouldn't use 4 plug outlets unless you know that you'll need several things plugged in at once in a particular area. Two is generally enough and look better.

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

"The cell system is pretty robust now and the towers all have backup generators. "

For the few hours before the small generators run out of fuel.

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

Kitchen counters are very tightly regulated.

No place on the counter can be more than 24 inches horizontally along the counter from a receptacle.

Any piece of counter more than 12 inches wide is required to have a receptacle.

The sink and appliances (stove) do NOT count.

You are free to put any extra receptacles you want, just not less than the minimum.

Receptacles in cabinets do not count.
    Receptacle inside an 'appliance garage' do not count.

• boops2012
    Original Author
    11 years ago

ThankYou for the recepticle codes.Didn't know that.Just in the prelim of laying out electric.Electrician of course will be consulted.
    Suzannes-love the niche idea . May have to steal that idea.

• kaismom
    11 years ago

The wired phone is the probably one of the most reliable things in my neck of the wood. We recently switched to cable phone from the copper wire phone line through the phone company. The reliability of the cable phone is not nearly as good for us. The cell connection at my house is abysmal, and this is after having tried multiple companies.

I have my kitchen phone at the desk near the kitchen but not in the kitchen. So it is easily reached from the central part of the house but not near the work surface.

I have CAT5 to every room in my house. When we remodeled our house prior to wireless, this was a must. Even with the wireless, I like having the redundancy. I had them install the CAT 5 plug on the island as well as every where else I can think of.

• phoggie
    11 years ago

Do you have an office area? I think that is the perfect place for a land line...

• PeterH2
    11 years ago

> No place on the counter can be more than 24 inches
    > horizontally along the counter from a receptacle.

The way you wrote it above doesn't quite capture the rule. For example, the edge of the counter immediately in front of a receptacle is normally more than 24" from that receptacle.

I would describe the rule in simple terms for folk with conventional outlet placement on the backsplash like this: no place on the backsplash (not the counter) can be more than 24" horizontally from a receptacle (with the exclusions you mentioned above).

• snoonyb
    11 years ago

"For example, the edge of the counter immediately in front of a receptacle is normally more than 24" from that receptacle."

And your interpretation of the word "along" would be?

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

The depth of the counter does not matter.

24 inches parallel to the wall, making the receptacles 48 inches apart (max).

The actual code text is succinct and clear.

The only arguing I have sen is the call out of "wall counter" as not applying if there is not a wall behind the counter (like a window that comes down to the counter).

AHJ still won.
    Windows moved up enough to fit boxes on their side under window but above counter.

• PeterH2
    11 years ago

> And your interpretation of the word "along" would be?

That it's not what code says. The part about the spacing is based on the wall, not the counter: "Receptacle outlets shall be installed so that no point along the wall line is more than 600 mm (24 in.) measured horizontally from a receptacle outlet in that space." (Let's not get into the fact that 600mm is NOT the same as 24".)

> 24 inches parallel to the wall

It doesn't have to be parallel, you can measure diagonally across a corner. That is an example of not "along".