Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
icenet

Under cabinet fluorescent lights - Need advice

icenet
15 years ago

I need recommendations for under cabinets fluorescent nights. What brands are best? Are you happy with them? Should I consider halogens or xenons even with the heat factor?

Thanks!!!

Comments (6)

• berf
    15 years ago

I chose halogen. They do get hot, but it doesn't bother me. I will probably use more discretion with them in the hotter summer months though.(but I'll have better natural light at that time as well) I don't regard the heat as a deal breaker, because I also change the way I cook in the summer due to the heat--less oven, more outdoors, etc. I don't see a real difference in the same accomodations for lighting. I chose Progress Lighting Counterbrite fixtures because I liked the look. I have some high cabinets above the peninsula and this was one of the few designs I thought I could live with "exposed" to view. I like the quality of the light, and each one covers a lot of area--roughly 36" each--plus they have two light settings (dim, full and off)so I have each one set for its specific location and then all tied in to a wall switch. Each has a switch I can flip if I change my mind about how any of them are set.

Here is a link that might be useful: Progress Lighting Counterbrite

• icenet
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks. Great site.

• laxsupermom
    15 years ago

I went with LED's. There's no flicker and they claim to last 50,000 hrs and run cool. I bake a lot and even negligible heat would be too much. I actually capped off a length of baseboard heat that was originally under my sink run because my kitchens are never wanting for heat.

• chefkev
    15 years ago

I went with low profile T5 fluorescents - They give off a nice light (although they don't dim), are very reasonably priced, energy efficient and no annoying buzzing. Both Halogen and Xenon were too hot for me - although many GWer's favor the gull xenon lights (which I didn't get to test) and say they aren't as hot. I got T5's at Pegasus Lighting which a number of people on GW have used and had a good experience with. I believe T4's would work just as well. After I got my lights, someone posted about an even thinner profile fluorescent (I think it was a T2). HTH best wishes.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pegasus Lighting

• mygar
    15 years ago

We installed whatever brand Home Depot carries. I didn't want the heat of the others. I leave a light on above my sink all the time. They don't flicker or hum and I'm very happy with them.

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    15 years ago

I am an avid baker and didn't want the heat. I LOVE my T-2's as did my contractor. He was an halogen man all the way. I have now changed his mind. They were a breeze to install and I paid extra for the "warm" bulbs. They look great (can't see them but love the light they give). When I am up at 3 am, rolling out pie dough (yes, I am a baker! Early hours are part of it!), I just have the T-2's on and the kitchen is great for baking. They don't dim but look very sexy at night (or early morning as the case may be) without the overhead lights on.