Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
terezosa

Tumbled copper slate backsplash

terezosa / terriks
16 years ago

I haven't really posted here since we built our house two years ago. I wanted to do my own tile backsplash and it's taken this long to get it done!

I bought the tile over 6 months ago and just finished. I painted wood outlet covers with craft paint to match the tile, which is tumbled copper slate. The grout is "tobacco" by Custom. The granite on the counter is tan brown. We plan to replace the actual outlets with brown ones. We also need to caulk between the counter and the backsplash.

Comments (24)

• User
    16 years ago

It is stunning and worth the wait.. Congratulations!

• susanka
    16 years ago

Stunning indeed! What a wonderful look. I've already ordered my tumbled slate, but if I hadn't.....

• raehelen
    16 years ago

That's beautiful! Could you show a close-up picture of the trim around your backsplash mosaic and tell me what the trim pieces are?

Not to be piggish- but I'd also love to see an overall picture from further away if possible. I generally find backsplashes just too distracting or a little 'off' from many of the photos I've seen, yours somehow seems 'just right'. If you don't mind, I'm going to add these photos to my inspiration file!

• terezosa / terriks
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the compliments. When we were building the house I considered upgrading to a "flashier" granite, but decided to go with one of the "builder grade" granites and do something special with the backsplash. The trim around the mosaics behind the cook top is the same copper slate in a pencil trim.

Here are a couple of pictures showing the overall kitchen:

• patti_bee
    16 years ago

Wow, that is lovely. Mind sharing which brand of craft paint you used? I've been eyeing the outlets in my backsplash with hopes of disguising them a bit more.

• terezosa / terriks
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I used some paints that I had left over from another project. I used Plaid's FolkArt in Metallic Antique Copper and Burnt Umber and Modern Masters Ivy from their Metallic Paint Collection. I bought that one at a paint store.

• oruboris
    16 years ago

Beautiful material, beautiful install.

There's part of me that would still love to do my whole main floor in this stuff...

• antiquesilver
    16 years ago

Terriks - Excuse me while I wipe the drool off my keyboard.

Patti bee - another option besides paint is to cover the electrical covers with adhesive backed copper foil which you can patina or not. It's sold in sheets at stained glass supply stores.

• susanka
    16 years ago

oruboris, me too! Dh just couldn't live with that much slate, but I'm ecstatic about getting our slate backsplash this week.

• terezosa / terriks
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The backsplash ties in with our 3 sided fireplace

• raehelen
    16 years ago

Oh terriks,

Now you've really got me thinking! We're just beginning our LR reno, and we JUST tore down all our brick facing on the fireplace. We have a pony wall in the LR that we are topping with the same granite as in the kitchen, but didn't want to be too matchy-matchy for the FP surround, but if I do the slate backsplash...I could coordinate THAT with the FP... and of course, that would then go perfectly with the granite on the pony wall...

I also love your mantle...you are far more restrained than me, don't think it would remain so clean for long...

• janwad
    16 years ago

Terrific look! I love the painted outlet covers.

Taymac.com has a line of outlets that are meant to be painted.

• jerzeegirl
    16 years ago

It's really beautiful. You did a great job!

• cat_mom
    16 years ago

Very warm and rich colors. Overall a very luscious look!

• needanap
    16 years ago

We also chose copper slate for our fireplace, and it was just tiled. Still have to stain the molding piece around the floor edge, and need to buy a new fireplace screen, but seeing your beautiful copper slate inspired me to post. I used a sealer/enhancer on the tiles which brought out more color and luster.

and here was the fireplace before (with some other tiles I was considering:

• terezosa / terriks
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Your fireplace looks great! What an improvement over the old tile.

• muscat
    16 years ago

I love that slate!!!! Ah, so pretty. Definitely adds personality- I think your instinct to go with more mundane granite and a very stunning tile job was a great idea.

• Flowerchild
    16 years ago

Terriks - Beautiful colors and great job!! The FP is wonderful too.

needanap - Thanks for posting those FP pics. I was just going over to the FP forum to see if I could find some slate surrounds. We were debating between Marble (too common IMHO) and slate for our bedroom FP. Now that I see yours I know the slate will go better in our Timber Frame home.

• Flowerchild
    16 years ago

Where did you get your slate?

• terezosa / terriks
    Original Author
    16 years ago

My slate is made by Dal-Tile and is available at most tile stores and by special order at Lowes. I found the prices at Lowes to be higher than my local tile store.

• needanap
    16 years ago

Thanks Terriks - I guess great minds think alike. Your backsplash gets prettier every time I look at it!

My copper slate came from Tile America, but I'm sorry that I don't know which brand it is.

• starpooh
    16 years ago

terriks ~ your kitchen is simply gorgeous! May I please archive it in the Finished Kitchens Blog (FKB) along with the other finished kitchens of Gardenweb members? Thank you!

Here is a link that might be useful: Finished Kitchens Blog

• terezosa / terriks
    Original Author
    16 years ago

starpooh, thanks so much for the compliment. Please use it in the kitchen blog. I am so flattered.

• boanerges
    15 years ago

Wow that looks great! I have been looking at similar tiles but have found nothing quite that nice Terrick!