Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
funkelsgw

What would you put here?

funkelsgw
10 years ago

In the midst of kitchen renovation and we need some ideas of what to put above the counter top in this picture. A panel is going to be covering that spot, but it is rather a large and noticeable space and really needs something. The panel will be approximately 3 ft. wide x 5 ft. tall. Our first thought was a chalk board, but our kids are grown and it will be difficult to lean over the counter top to actually write on it. We are meeting our KD on Friday, so I'd love some input from you.

My first post, so I hope it is in the correct forum. Thanks!

Comments (37)

• cparlf
    10 years ago

I would design and build a lighted water feature. A little Zen in the kitchen is never a bad thing. IMHO

• dilly_ny
    10 years ago

How about a wall mounted wine rack.

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

A large piece of artwork....

• fouramblues
    10 years ago

I agree with joanie! Or a couple/few smaller pieces. Here's what I did on my refrigerator panel:

(Just upgraded the iPad to ios7, and it seems to be displaying upside-down? Will try to fix it.)

• Gracie
    10 years ago

Could you use a clock there?

• Skypathway1
    10 years ago

I was going to suggest what fouramblues did - love your artwork.

What is this area used for? Is there something you can add that would make it more functional? For example book shelves for cook books? What about wall mounted file sorters to sort mail?

• laughablemoments
    10 years ago

A calendar?

• nhbaskets
    10 years ago

My brother built me this to put on the side on our pantry. Comes in very handy for writing notes.

• funkelsgw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow, lot's of great suggestions. The wine rack idea is good, but there is one already built in on the right side. Bookshelf is also a good idea, but there is a large bookshelf below.

Regarding the function of the space, that is yet to be determined. We busted out the wall between the dining room and kitchen, and this is against the remaining wall between the two rooms. Right now it will be a nice piece of counter top real estate available for whatever we decide.

The zen water feature sounds pretty cool. I've seen those mounted in restaurants and other public places. My electrician will kill me though.

Probably too large a space for a calendar. The scroll looks interesting too. I guess we should try to have fun with the space and make it interesting.

I do very much like the artwork. More pics and suggestions would be so welcome!!!

Thank you all.

• GauchoGordo1993
    10 years ago

Note that you'll want an accent light on the wall for most of these suggestions, especially art. Do you have a light on that wall?

• funkelsgw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

GauchoGordo1993 - Good point on the lighting. There are two small recessed lights above the space, which should be sufficient.

Here's a pic from a slightly different angle. I know it difficult to envision, because the granite is not in place and the finished end has not yet been installed.

The granite is costa esmeralda and will actually go underneath the wine rack to give it a "furniture-like" appearance on the dining room side if that makes sense.

• crazybusytoo
    10 years ago

How about a wall mounted wine rack? Some of these are pretty sleek.

This is Charleston Forge's

Here is a link that might be useful: Charleston Forge Wine Rack

• crazybusytoo
    10 years ago

This is MILLESIME. It comes in a lot of configurations.

Here is a link that might be useful: MILLESIME

• crazybusytoo
    10 years ago

Oh, wait, is that a wine rack I see in your second photo?

How much do you like wine? lol

And I missed dilly's post, we think alike...

Your cabinets are beautiful, can't wait for the reveal!

This post was edited by crazybusytoo on Wed, Nov 6, 13 at 22:07

• funkelsgw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I like the wine rack idea and I love wine, but I think we have that covered. The other question is what type of panel will go over the space. The KD originally had a flat panel going there, but perhaps a raised panel like the doors (or 2 panels) might dress up the space a bit. The other option would be to have some kind of tiny depth cabinet there, but I'm not inclined to go there because it defeats the purpose of opening up the rooms as much as possible.

• tuxedord2
    10 years ago

I have mine painted with magnetic paint that we used to post messages and place pictures.

But here is an even better idea i saw on houzz.

Here is a link that might be useful: [houzz work center[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/chilliwack-central-traditional-kitchen-vancouver-phvw-vp~1081493)

• maid_o_cliff
    10 years ago

This is my second try at this, so will be surprised if it works!

I hung all my platters in baskets on the wall, now no digging them out, they are right there when I need them.

Red

• funkelsgw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow. So happy with the feedback! I like both ideas and I think that the Houzz pic is giving me ideas.

Stay tuned.

• HammerMom
    10 years ago

I think because of the depth and width of the countertop, I would go with using the space to display either artwork, a wreath, photos, quilts (just ideas, not sure what your decorating style is)... or what about shelves for displaying glassware/tableware or that type of thing?

• christy43
    10 years ago

How about a plate rack?

• funkelsgw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

All great ideas. I'll let you know what we come up with after meeting with the KD tomorrow.

• peony4
    10 years ago

I love your blackboard idea!

Looks like a place where I would look around my kitchen and contemplate what I needed from the store. I'd install open shelving that can hold both small, pretty caddies for pens/paper, and also artwork or decorative plates.

If you don't want to commit to fixed open shelving, you can try something like this (although this is rather industrial):

Here is a link that might be useful: Kellan storage

• HammerMom
    10 years ago

deleted to remove odd duplicate post

This post was edited by HammerMom on Fri, Nov 8, 13 at 1:03

• amykath
    10 years ago

I would definitely use artwork there. If you decide to use artwork a flat panel would look best IMHO. Since you have a wine rack right there already I would skip that unless you drink a TON of wine.

Look forward to what you decide!

• maid_o_cliff
    10 years ago

Took another look at my picture , and should have let you know , that kitchen is still unfinished. LOL
    We still have no backsplash, the brown and white, are from where the old formica was and a different color we had in kitchen.
    I tend to do my own thing, but DH said it looked awful and I should explain.
    Since this is not my thread I apologize if any think think I am trying to takeover. Just trying to help and show another option.

Thank you for your patience,
    Red

• otterkill
    10 years ago

Pot rack. You can get one for the wall or hang one from the ceiling centered over the counter.

• texaspenny
    10 years ago

What about a 'living wall' with plants or herbs?

Here is a link that might be useful: Plants on Wall

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    10 years ago

I wonder what the OP decided?

It would be an awkward reach for many things. But, I would consider a charging station and home for the little things that need a landing space -- in a shallow cupboard. To overcome some of the awkwardness, I would put the shelving (with rails) on the inside of the doors -- like some spice organizers are.

• funkelsgw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, we met with the designer on Friday and no definitive decisions have been made. We have decided to put a large raised panel (matching the shaker doors) in the spot for now. I personally like the idea of some kind of chalkboard and my DW is more partial to artwork or a season wreath or something. Once the panel is mounted in about 3 weeks, I'll update the pic, which will also have the granite countertop. I might add more pics, so people can get an idea of what we already have. Thanks again for all of the ideas!!!!!

• funkelsgw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

UPDATE: The countertop and panel are finally in place (panel got damaged in shipment, so new one on the way). The dimensions are 4' 6" tall x 3' wide. Any further ideas of what might go there? Thanks everyone.

• jeweleee
    10 years ago

Great spot. I would hang some sort of beautiful platter or mold, something with a little bit of dimensionality but that you don't use very often. Maybe a metal platter in the color of your hardware, or something that ties in the white and green together.

• annkh_nd
    10 years ago

I think the space screams for artwork. I loved the hanging pots posted above, but Funkels' space has a lot of activity in the area already, with the cookbooks below and wine rack to the side. That's why I would shy away from a chalkboard or bulletin board.

I think something copper would be gorgeous with the granite! I have a metal sculpture from this artist, and I've seen a lot of his work. Here's mine:

He used to have a lot more examples on the web site, including the most beautiful stair rail I've ever seen.

Here is a link that might be useful: Forest Edge Gallery

• herbflavor
    10 years ago

place a hook in ceiling and do a hanging plant ....otherwise do nothing. what's wrong as is? Maybe a tall vase with live flower displays....put a Christmas one right now and you'll see what leaving it alone will provide you.

• bookworm4321
    10 years ago

I am so glad this thread was brought back, as this is my next project. My blank wall is 30". My KD made same suggestions as people here (naturally):

1. Like Herbflavor, tall vase or plant.

2. artwork (I really like what annkh posted). One large piece or several small. The KD use to have an artist that painted on the wood.

3. I like the Pottery Barn organizer, but not if it sticks out too far.

• amykath
    10 years ago

I would use a piece of art to break up and add color and interest to the cabs.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

You can install narrow floating shelves and display plates on it. You can hang copper molds on it, or a collection of any bunch of kitchen items from rolling pins and potato mashers to pie tins or pot holders. You could hang a collection of flat baskets.

[Rustic Dining Room[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/rustic-dining-room-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_722~s_2111) by Mill Valley Interior Designers & Decorators Jute Interior Design

• funkelsgw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow, this is great. What an excellent community. I'm leaning towards art, but the idea of flowers in that spot could be excellent too. The great thing is that there is no rush. We can leave it blank until we see something that inspires us both. Keep posting ideas!