Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cefreeman_gw

Week 27. Has the Internet chgd how you choose?

CEFreeman
9 years ago

In the case of kitchens and remoldeling, what choices would you have probably done differently if you hadn't been able to look something up? If you didn't have forums such as these, which are a dying breed, thanks to single-authored blogs?
Would you ask someone you think knows?
Or someone you hate to ask in the first place?
Would have have haunted open houses?
Just trusted a KD, architect, interior designer, or someone whose house looks good to you?

Were your Internet-informed choices better than what you might have made?
Or did the wealth of info just make you take a nap and deal with it later.
Did fear of doing something wrong keep you searching, reading, searching and [scream] taking a nap?
Or did you search until you got the answer you wanted to hear in the first place?

In my case, I have all these examples going on. I even ask people questions in restaurants. I read, search, read, ask for clarification, why, why not, who made you queen could xxxx be done? why, why not?

How long did it take you to embrace this "new" technology -- keeping in mind that I've been online since about 1986. "Oh, the changes I've seen," granny reminisced!
Did/do you wish you'd jumped on the bandwagon sooner?

So. How is your life different?
And I don't care that [channeling DirecTV] you "can stay in touch with the grandkids, even from here."

Comments (43)

• breezygirl
    9 years ago

For me, it's almost impossible to know how I would have reno'd if there was no internet. Internet has been around a long time and is so pervasive, it's hard to remember how things used to be done. I guess magazines, HGTV (yes, it used to be decent and NO house hunters), going to other peoples houses were what we used to do before the Internet.

I really don't know how else to answer this question. Hmm.....

• _sophiewheeler
    9 years ago

One upon a time, you wanted a new kitcchen, you called Fred down the road who had built your garage for you. He ambled right over and spread out a few samples. There were 3 different cabinet choices. 3 different counter choices. 3 different floor choices. Right there, is 27 possible combinations. And this was 1970. You felt in control, and even up to date and stylish if one of those choices was in Better Homes and Gardens.

And that is still how a lot of entry level kitchens are done. Contractors present a few choices for a customer, and that's it. They understand that giving a customer too many choices on things results in a paralyzed customer who can't make a decision and isn't happy with the one they make when they finally do decide.

And that's why when you're too close to the fire, it burns. And you get threads from people who have 31 different sample pots of white paint and can't pick any of them. Too many choices. And too much emotional investment in the ''perfect'' outcome. A dispassionate design pro can come in and zero in on several ''right'' choices. That's Lesson #1: there are a lot of right choices. Lesson #2 is : perfection is unattainable. Lesson #3: get help when you need to. Lesson #4: listen to your help.

• schicksal
    9 years ago

Interesting - I've been online in one way or another and reaping its benefits since about that time too. Our first computer has been in a museum exhibit twice.

My family had the same kitchen that was put into the house around 1974 for at least 30 years. They went through 15 or more years of talking about redoing it or moving and my mom had magazines and books, but they started working on it in 2005. I'm pretty sure all that was abandoned in favor of whatever Lowes had going on + whatever mom saw on home improvement shows that she was already watching since the mid 1990s.

In my case I already knew what I like, but Houzz was a bigger influence than anything else. It's an easy one stop shop for all things modern. Atomic Ranch and Dwell are the other big ones, but for making the pretty looking picture more functional this site came into play. I don't think that forums are disappearing - Facebook does not have anywhere near the density of information that they do, and blogs lack that as well as a concise and effective way for people to interact.

So far as what's going on at home...
    I'm at work so probably nothing at all right this moment. I'm getting a Christmas tree lightbulb tester on my way home so I can go to town on those this afternoon. Then we need to decorate it, and I'll put more work into the accessory lighting in the kitchen and do weekend cleaning.

It's too early for Christmas trees but someone is coming over tomorrow for pictures and we need a decent background. We haven't put it up since moving to Charleston a few years ago because it was taller than the ceiling. Not a problem anymore when you make the ceiling higher :)

• christina222_gw
    9 years ago

Yes and no. How's that for a wishy washy answer? We did a gut remodel of our kitchen in 2000. The Internet was around but not design blogs and sites. It never crossed my mind to research online. We ended up with a nice kitchen that was not so very different from out current kitchen in a lot of ways. Fast forward to 2014 and we researched the hell out of this new kitchen. It allowed me to make smarter, better choices and end up with a kitchen that is similar to the old one but light years better in style and quality.

The old advice{{gwi:9241}} used to be to look through magazines and make a folder of everything you like. We still do that but digitally, and that's a good thing. Remember how much design magazines used to cost? I could never have afforded to look at as many kitchens as I did this time around!

Pinterest actually proved to be helpful in a way I didn't at first anticipate. I pinned tons of kitchens and it was only on careful review that I discovered I had a definite style that I preferred. Kitchen after kitchen with similar cabinets, and counters and glass doors.

Here on the forum my decision to go induction was made. I thought it was too expensive and not worth looking at. So glad I learned better! I'd never have chosen the high pull down faucet that I love so much without seeing them online. I'd never have looked at stone because I don't like granite. It was only online that I learned about quartzite.

I had a nice kitchen the first time around without the internet, I have a great kitchen now, with the Internet.

As for plans this weekend I'm hoping to finish the laundry room. I went to home goods this morning and stocked up on linens and towels for the guest room in anticipation of family arriving for the holiday.

This post was edited by Christina222 on Sat, Nov 22, 14 at 13:20

• CEFreeman
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ahhh Pinterest.
    I laugh when people disdainfully state, "I see no reason for that."
    Kinda like people who didn't use answering machines in the 80s, computers/email in the 90s and comprehensive cells now. I maintain that we will not be done with this pride-in-ignorance until these people die off. Cold? Yup. Realistic? Yup. If my 75 year old mom can teach herself to use her notebook, anyone can.

I digress.
    I taught different people, among them a sales person at DirectBuy, that she could take every single one of her favorites/bookmarks, see what she liked about that page, and pin it. All things in one place. Use it to shop. Use it to compare.

I also taught her she could get rid of her binders if she chose. Pin manufacturer samples. Etc., I've even gotten rid of my Houzz pins, didn't even start eBay collections.
    And, yes, it is possible to back up your pins.

Hollysprings, #3 is a good one. Listen to your help. That's why you chose them and pay them. But I see so much second guessing, even with that.

I took all my "Rooms I like" pins to Sherwin Williams' Chip-it. Every single one of them came out with at least 3 of the same color chips, or when looking at the chip book, a chip or two off the same color. IOW, I certainly narrowed down my color choices, which is incredibly hard to do! It gave me confidence in a world of a zillion shades of white! :)

My ex-GC-POC used to say just what you did. Too many choices paralyze a homeowner. I think Pinterest has helped, as has Houzz in narrowing things down for people. If you keep returning to the same thing, that's probably it.

Shicksal, I like your solution to the tall Xmas tree. Raising the ceiling is exactly what I would have done. [snort & LOL!] If I had a ceiling....

Christina22, I scanned all my cut out rooms, furniture, fixtures, etc., from my binders (read: torn out of expensive decorating mags!) and put them into [wait for it] Pinterest. All in one place...

I just did something I never do. I visited. I went to visit new friends in their new home. I always back out of invitations like this. They live close to me in a lovely home and wanted me to see it and the pretty land. Oh, my, gorgeously wild. I had iced tea, carrot cake, we talked and laughed and I came home. I lived to tell the tale of stepping out of my boundries. This is a big deal for me.

Now I go to work.
    What a gorgeous day. It's probably in the 50s. Yeah!

• schicksal
    9 years ago

After replacing over 200 lights, we have a fully lit tree. This is its first appearance since moving to this city. Guess it's time to decorate it a little.

• christina222_gw
    9 years ago

That's a nice tree Schicksal, looking forward to seeing it decorated. I've only got 8 foot ceilings and my tree just barely fits. What it lacks in height it makes up for in width though, it's a fat one!

I finally got my laundry room painted! Been managing to not get it done for ages so it's a relief to have it finished. I'm going to try and get some shelves put up in there tomorrow in between baking bread for the week.

• LE
    9 years ago

Without the internet, I would have put in a gas stove instead of induction, which would mean an ugly propane tank would have to be incorporated into my life somewhere or another. I would probably have an inadequate vent hood. I would have had a stainless sink again instead of Silgranit. I would have had light fixtures that they have down at the local lighting store.

On the other hand, I would have had a boatload of time the past two years to spend on I-don't-know-what!

• Texas_Gem
    9 years ago

I know this makes me sound younger than I am but I don't really remember a time without computers.

In the 80s when I was a kid I was fortunate to have an uncle who was the dean of a college so he had a personal computer. I remember staying the night and my cousins and I waiting for what felt like an eternity for a game to load (wheel of fortune in case anyone was wondering)

My own family got a computer and internet access in the early 90s, yeah Windows 3.1!!!

As far as changing how/what I do in my remodel I suppose I'm somewhat of an outlier.

Every since I was a child, one of my favorite things to do was to browse open houses (or my friends houses) and imagine how I might lay things out and/or decorate if it were my space. Given that I am currently living in and remodeling my own childhood home, you can imagine how long I've thought about what I would do with this space "if it were mine"

I've lived in and used this space for 20+ years and I know what works for me (personally) and what doesn't.

I'm certain that if I had found this forum earlier and posted my ideas and thoughts before starting my remodel, I would have gotten some excellent advice on how to change it. I'm also certain I would have ignored 99.9% of it. I'm incredibly stubborn that way and also not concerned in even the slightest bit about resale value so I decided it was my one shot to make things the way I wanted them to be.

As far as plans for this weekend, the grape jelly I made last weekend during the snow storm is soft; the first time I've ever had batch/es fail.

So my plan is to correct the failed set on my jelly, attend 2 birthday parties and get ready for the concrete guys who are supposed to be here first thing Monday AM to prep for pouring the slab for the new addition.

• schicksal
    9 years ago

I suspect that we're about the same age.

@Christina222 - Compliments on the tree are appreciated. It's a really bad location for it to be but it's too tall to go on the other side of the beam. The direction I took the picture from is the end of the peninsula (nope). To the far left of the tree would have it partially in front of the tv (nope). The opposite corner of the room would work if the tree were narrower, but as big as it is it would block the door to the server closet (nope). Someday it will go in the office with the fireplace and the awesome '70s linoleum, but only after that room has been rebuilt.

Today's after work plans are just to continue pressing forward with odds and ends with the kitchen. I also need to make a decision on whether to just trim out the existing sidelight as it currently is or to do the carpentry work that needs to happen to enlarge the window to what I would like it to be. I'm leaning towards the former only so I can just be done with things for a while. The insanity started in April 2013 and I would very much like a break because even completing little things is becoming increasingly difficult.

Just give me regular days where cleaning and remembering to do Nederlands lessons are the biggest tasks...

• joygreenwald
    9 years ago

Without the internet, and Gardenweb in particular for much of thisd:
    1. I probably wouldn't have my kitchen at all because I found Barker cabinets here; I couldn't find anything I thought was quality for my budget.
    2. I'd have an OTR microwave instead of a hood
    3. Speaking of microwaves, I'd have replaced my workhorse of a 19 year old microwave with something that probably wouldn't last.
    4. No neverMT
    5. No Glideware racks to hang my pots and pans out of site, easily accessed, and protecting their finish
    6. I wouldn't have attending my granite templating layout.
    7. For that matter, I wouldn't have found my awesome fabricator.
    8. My upper cabinets would be standard depth, so no 13" uppers, and no 15" tray/baking dish cabinet
    9. I wouldn't have my sink or my faucet, which were both customer returns and deeply discounted

1. I wouldn't have put in any drawer bases
    2. It would never have occurred to me to have my husband build a custom blind corner so I could access everything without losing usable space
    3. I'd have a lazy Susan, instead of a super Susan
    4. I wouldn't have found my flooring

OTOH, without the internet:
    1. I wouldn't have second guessed my backsplash choice
    2. I wouldn't have agonized about choosing to stick with gas over going with induction (which would have cost me a fortune, since I'd needed an electrical upgrade)
    3. Is read more books because I wouldn't hang out here all the time

Internet wins!

• mrspete
    9 years ago

Interesting thoughts.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the place I used to get all my information before the internet: THE LIBRARY! When we were newleyweds in the 90s and wanted to do some things to our basic ranch, I haunted the library and looked through all the house-related books. Of course, you might know that this method has two negatives:

- Most of the books were from the 60s-70s. So if those were your ONLY sources, you'd not realize that drawers in a kitchen are an option.
    - Books tend to give you ideas without any idea of cost; for example, they'd present a basic refrigerator and refrigerator drawers as "separate but equal" ideas, when we all know that the drawers are terribly more expensive.

My other go-to item was Southern Living magazine, which has always presented lovely houses.

We didn't have cable TV for about the first decade of our marriage (we are frugal now, but we were UBERfrugal at that point in our lives, and it was a good choice), but I remember going on a vacation and learning about HGTV. Today I like to watch those shows, but I can't say it's a great place for gathering solid information.

Today:

I love Pinterest and Houzz for ideas.

I love being able to compare prices.

I love being able to buy used on ebay.

I do agree that too many choices are the enemy of GETTING IT DONE.

• Terri_PacNW
    9 years ago

Shick, love the tree..
    Well I've had a personal computer and internet since about 1995.
    I could not imagine my life with out this little tablet I'm typing on..lol My Ipad rocks!

Pinterest and blogs have helped create the things that are making our house our home.
    I ruled out homes last spring when we were shopping based on Real Estate sites.

• maxmillion_gw
    9 years ago

As much as I love to spend countless hours researching online (and boy do I ever), nothing compares to going to a showroom and seeing real products in person.

I don't know that the end result would have been much different without the internet. 99% of my choices were options from my architect, KD, or something I saw in real life (hotel, friend's house, show room, open house, restaurant, etc.) or read about in magazines. The journey sure has been different though!

The things I did as a direct result of "the internet" are:

- Went for a bigger hood based on info on GW.
    - Selected a bathroom wall tile based on a photo from Houzz.
    - Second guessed every decision, read endlessly about seemingly infinite options, and developed an unhealthy fear of making a mistake.

Technology and the internet are so pervasive in my life that my interests, tastes and sense of self would probably be completely different without it.

• christina222_gw
    9 years ago

I have achieved shelves! They're pretty basic but they'll do. I've got some more things I want to do in here after the new year but for now I have a semi-finished laundry room. There used to be a closet in this spot. Had it taken out and the light switch moved and a power socket added. Replaced the sad sheet vinyl floor with tile. The cabinets are the only two undamaged lower cabinets from my old kitchen. On the opposite wall I put uppers over the washer and dryer. There's a space between where I'll be adding a vanity type sink and a shelf above, between the cabinets, and I'll need a countertop of some kind on those lowers, maybe butcher block. That's for next year, after the holidays. I'm thinking also maybe a narrow shelf with some hooks below and a mirror above on the back wall, 90 degrees to the wall shown. There's no window in this room so a mirror might brighten things up.

This post was edited by Christina222 on Sun, Nov 23, 14 at 14:50

• rmtdoug
    9 years ago

The internet helps in researching a choice I have already made. For instance, I did not need the internet to choose to remodel my 100-year-old house, but the internet has opened up the whole world of ideas and discussion about anything and everything to do with remodeling a house. It has been invaluable in that respect. Having decided that I would gut my house, when I saw a local ad on Craigslist for truckoads of polyISO foam really cheap, within a few hours on the internet I was assured this was something I definitely wanted to use to insulate my house, so I bought enough for the entire house. Without the internet, I would have used 6" fiberglass (paying much more than the foam) and the house a would have suffered because of that.

But the greatest joy in using the internet is that some of my closest friendships have come from direct or indirect internet contacts. A very close friendship came about because my wife got involved in a women's author's group online and a friendship she developed with another in our area led to my meeting her husband who was a builder and we became close friends because of that. I ended up building five houses with him. We would never have met otherwise and we are close friends to this day.

Another came about when I receive an email out of the blue from someone who read some posts I made in a speaker-building forum and noticed we lived in the same town. We've been close friends ever since.

Last but not least, I could not run my business without the internet. Everything I do for my living, other than the phone systems, is conducted over the internet. I've had some of my clients for over 20 years, but everyone with me within the last ten years I have never met in person; everything is conducted over the internet.

• schicksal
    9 years ago

Christina - that sounds like a HUGE laundry room! The cabinets look like they really belong too.

The tree is done so that's a plus. It's nice to have it back and decorated for the first time since 2010.

• Texas_Gem
    9 years ago

Schick- are you stealing my silver, white and blue Christmas theme?!?

J/k it looks great! I always wait to put my tree up until the day after Thanksgiving. No black Friday shopping for me!

I got half of the jelly done and it set properly this time so that's good. Tomorrow I will do the rest and go get my groceries for Thanksgiving.

• Terri_PacNW
    9 years ago

That is so purty!

With the new house and the new tree. I've bought some new decorations too.

What colors go on the tree in a plum and green living room?
    More plum! Right?! And what the sports world calls Vegas Gold. Kind of a taupe/ muted gold.

• Gooster
    9 years ago

Prior to starting this endless series of renovations about two years ago, I was happy in my little cocoon of tv, newspapers and brick and mortar shops. Advice and guidance came from design professionals and knowledgable sales associates, and I did a whole lot of driving and catalog scanning. I use the internet quite often, but it really hadn't occurred to me to explore the depths for design and remodeling advice. Then, in the depths, I found Gardenweb. If I had been the type of person would could just give a few desires, sign a check and return months later I probably wouldn't need the internet (but the pro would -- heck my plumber needs to file for permits on the web).

Pros:
    a. Houzz, Pinterest and the rest provide design inspiration way beyond the traditional media.
    b. Less driving and less time narrowing options. Using electronic search engines, the manufacturer and retailer websites can get the thousands of choices down to a few in a matter of minutes. Or, you could pay someone to do this. Items from specialty manufacturers can be previewed before heading to their far-flung showrooms.
    c. when you run into the problem, the web holds the answer somewhere. almost always someone has experienced the same issue that your are confronting or can offer advice.
    d. you get to commiserate with others

Cons:
    a. Analysis paralysis
    b. Samples take a long time to arrive and shipping is less efficient than a showroom
    c. Can hamper the local economy
    d. Lines are narrowing their distributor base to give showrooms more "exclusive" lines. Retails are cutting back on sample stock and don't/can't show the full lines from each manufacturer.
    e. I get distracted by things off my task ;)

This post was edited by gooster on Sun, Nov 23, 14 at 23:41

• momfromthenorth
    9 years ago

Have done it both ways - with and without the internet and believe me, with is infinitely easier. The amount of information available at ones fingertips now is life-changing. And then there is the generation of new ideas just from exchanging information. So a resounding yes! And for the internet - which will hopefully stay net neutral - I am most thankful this month!

• christina222_gw
    9 years ago

Very pretty Schicksal! We use that color scheme on the tree in our family room, as it's open to the kitchen and both rooms are painted blue. We put up four trees, two big ones (living room and family room) and two small ones (dining room and bedroom.) The family room one is new as of last year. It's fairly tall but skinny.

The laundry room is nice size but not huge. 8x10 I think. It used to be painted yellow and had the closet. The white paint and removing the closet in favor of cabinets and shelves has really opened it up and made it feel bigger.

• schicksal
    9 years ago

We bought the tree and everything on it all at once a couple of days after Christmas so it was steeply discounted. Before this we had two trees. One is 8 inches tall (got it for my dorm room way back when), the other maybe 24 inches. It was a little too Charlie Brown.

The real reason it's set up early is because someone was going to come by and take pictures and we needed something decorated as a backdrop. Instead it rained like crazy all day yesterday and her second photoshoot was outside so everything was cancelled. I needed to get it out anyway because the lights were so bad. There were at least 4 or 5 strands where every single bulb was burned out but a light tester from Lowes was able to sort it out.

• annkh_nd
    9 years ago

I think my kitchen layout would have been the same. I kept the same footprint as before, and tweaked things to make them more efficient.

I did spend endless hours researching every possible solution for a corner. I knew one would be a super susan (I didn't know what it was called when I first talked to my cabinet maker, but I described it adequately). In the other corner, I looked at blind corner contraptions, corner drawers, you name it - and finally ended up closing off the corner completely. I may or may not have reached that conclusion without the Internet.

I did decided on drawers on my own. A friend who has all drawers in her 80-yr-old kitchen convinced me. She also suggested making base abd upper cabinets deeper (which I was not able to do, but at least I had the info to consider the option).

GW taught me about easy-reach uppers - Thanks!

I would not have found a cute little corner MW.

I would not have found the perfect double sink to fit in my 30" cab. I swear I looked at a thousand sinks on-line.

I would not have found my funky Grohe faucet.

Meanwhile, I am half done painting my family room. There is far too much furniture in the room, so I moved stuff off two walls Friday, painted Saturday, moved everything back, and emptied the last two walls Sunday. Everything is prepped and ready to go - today I finish painting. I want to get everything back in place (mostly) before my sons come home for Thanksgiving. I tend to work better with a deadline.

• mudhouse_gw
    9 years ago

Years ago I would have relied on library books and magazines, as Mrs.Pete noted above. Now I can't imagine not having access to the internet, for home research.

Our reno (the slowest in the history of mankind) is still in the murky planning stages, but even that has been shaped by this forum. Last February many here were kind enough to give us tons of input about our kitchen, and gave me new directions to research (about function, and style!) As a result, I've transformed into an MCM fan, and I'm currently working on repair problems with our Frigidaire Flair, in yet another flip-flop, to try to keep it in the plan.

Researching things like non-existent parts for old appliances has been transformed by the internet. (Hello, eBay.) I just love it all to pieces.

Hollysprings: "Lesson #1: there are a lot of right choices. Lesson #2 is : perfection is unattainable. Lesson #3: get help when you need to. Lesson #4: listen to your help." Timely and wise words, as we try to wrench ourselves out of analysis paralysis, again. Thank you!

Schicksal, gorgeous tree!

• Hydragea
    9 years ago

v. thoughtful gooster.
    I would concur.

A few other tidbits:

Pinterest has helped me to be a little more daring with my kitchen. I can visualize how my own ideas look together, rather than slavishly copying already-thought-of kitchens on Houzz.

Pinterest has really helped me with my wardrobe. I pin pieces that I like, that all mix-n-match, and then I buy. There are no spontaneous purchases. The result is that a. I feel a lot cooler walking out the door in the morning, and b. I spend less money on clothing. I realize this makes me sound rather A-type...I'm not. I just don't like wasting money.

• CEFreeman
    Original Author
    9 years ago

LOVELY tree!!! So sparkly.

Today it's mid-70s here in Maryland. Tomorrow, 40s.
    It's so beautiful out, I repotted 9 Japanese maples and one crape myrtle. The 'myrtle and one Japanese maple, 'Boskoop Glory' went into their permanent homes in the ground. This is an accomplishment.

I root pruned these babies. I knew old hard roots had to be removed, but didn't know about root pruning. I watched a million Youtube videos and gained more confidence. I just hope I didn't do too much and kill 'em, but we'll see. However, without Youtube, I'd just be putting these trees into bigger pots every couple of years, until the pots were as big as a bus. This actually, often, lets you put the tree right back in the same pot!

I love how so many manufacturers, teachers, and just regular people are so willing to share their experiences. Beats trying to find and afford a class!

Enjoy the day, all!

• ChristyMcK
    9 years ago

The good: I wouldn't have known about Lacanche (the range we bought) or about Gaggenau (the steam oven we bought).

The bad: I wouldn't have spent so much time fretting about our back splash.

• practigal
    9 years ago

Dear Mudhouse....I am so relieved to know that we are in competition for the slowest reno....!

• Texas_Gem
    9 years ago

Well my jelly set this time, yay!!! That'll teach me to try to make jelly during a snowstorm!

It's just waiting to be handed out as gifts.

To celebrate, I made myself one of my favorite cocktails that I only have once or twice a year when I have fresh pineapple juice, a Midori illusion.

The concrete guys got all the prep work, sand, rebar, etc done and they will be here in the AM to pour the slab.

CEF- you make a GREAT point. When I don't know how to do something, I look up tutorials and videos. I don't have to go to the library or find a friend who's done it once or twice. I think the internet has actually made a lot of people a lot more proficient and knowledgable.

It reminds me of something I tried to gently explain to my mom a few years ago when I had my first child and she was hurt that I wasn't coming to her for answers to every little thing like she had envisioned.

When she was raising us and she didn't know what to do, she would ask her fellow mom friends, her aunts, mom, MIL, MAYBE the doctor. When I have a question, I can very easily access the advice and opinions of MILLIONS of moms and hundreds of thousands of doctors to decide on the right course of action.

Its not that I don't trust her opinion but just because that's the way we've always done it in this family/in this area, doesn't mean there isn't a better way.

• CEFreeman
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Slowest reno?
    Oh, please. You're both amateurs. [Pre-espresso rant coming...]
    Timeline:
    Fire: December 2005
    Back from Temporary Housing: July, 2006
    Decide to reno what was left, since we were going to anyway.
    July 2007, ex-GC-DC-POC bailed & left me with materials, but in a shell of a house.
    To date:
    Still need electricity in 2 rooms,
    something -- like a shower or tub -- to plug the man-sized hole in the guest bath floor. Oh, a sink would be good there. Got the vanity...
    Maybe a kitchen floor.
    Tile in the MBR shower would be great.
    Perhaps some trim in the ENTIRE HOUSE?
    Finish the hard wood flooring that quits before every window, door and outside wall in the house.
    Oh - and those holes in the floor where snakes and mice visit?
    The canned lights in the ceiling should go in. But how would the racoons peek down into the light, or what would the snakes use to hang out of to jump out of their skin?

Then, someday, we'll talk about the inside.
    The saving grace is that it is exactly what I want it to be. If I change my mind, I can change it without someone being fussy. If I read something I like better (wait for it) on the Internet, I can figure out how to make it work. It's very slow going, but I'm doing it my OWN self. [whisper] as much as I wish I could "just have someone" do it for me.

Remind your Bad Selves about that when you feel like it'll never end -- and it's been a couple of years. [snort] You signed up for it! Run with it and make it beautiful.

• CEFreeman
    Original Author
    9 years ago

TG.
    I'll email you my address for some of those gorgeous preserves. I would happily augment my espresso and Reese's cups. Just slip one of those cocktails in to a jar and ship that baby over, too.

Right? Got me? YEAH!
    P.S. Please don't tell me you made the fresh pineapple juice.

• schicksal
    9 years ago

I may steal second place for the slowest kitchen redo. The craziness here started last April. It turned into a formal living + entry hall + kitchen + family room + dining area rebuild.

It's almost finished though. Really if I were home for a weekend and motivated I would be done with all of it but the veneer for the beam in the family room and the pantry doors since those are not here yet. The whole house may be complete sometime in 2016, depending on how things go.

That said, I got a call from the pantry door place yesterday letting me know that it's arrived at their location in Florida. It should get here soon. I also replaced a bad relay in the dryer so now it heats up as it should. Yet for some reason I'm not exactly very happy these days.

A repair on the charger for the cordless drill (Bosch) did not cure its problem. I'm just going to donate it with a note that the drill and batteries are good, bad charger and be done with the thing. Replacement chargers fail quickly according to reviews I've read. Lesson learned - just use a corded drill. They last forever and there are no batteries or chargers to deal with.

Also we filed suit yesterday about the house with the crushed roof. One company's insurance has failed to work with us or even the other insurance company involved!

• mudhouse_gw
    9 years ago

Remind your Bad Selves about that when you feel like it'll never end -- and it's been a couple of years. [snort] You signed up for it! Run with it and make it beautiful.

My Bad Self should have said, "we have the slowest reno planning in the history of mankind." The only kitchen action has been removing wallpaper, replacing a few appliances, and the ceiling fan, after it helicoptered itself out of the ceiling. Happily, it dented the breakfast table, and not my head, nearby. But I digress.

WeâÂÂve been talking about the kitchen for nine years. It keeps getting bumped by needed repairs (new windows, HVAC, electrical service, crumbly adobe exterior); by my decision to build a greenhouse (yay!) and by our enjoyment of working on our big desert yard.

IâÂÂm a caregiver for my Mom, who lives nearby, so we maintain both houses. MomâÂÂs medical issues land her in the hospital regularly. After I live with her for a while, or get her through weeks in a rehab hospital, I just donâÂÂt have the heart to start changing walls. I lose the wind in my sails.

About six years ago, we hired a designer to help us figure out the kitchen dilemma. Met him at a home show; OMG, I was so excited! Paid a deposit of half, after the initial consult, and then he disappeared. We called, and he showed up a few days later with drawings I could have done in about three hours. No ideas, no help. (I know this sounds unlikely, but trust me.) I didnâÂÂt know what to do. I was ashamed of myself for not researching him more thoroughly. About five days later, he started dunning us by mail to pay the second half. We did; I just it over. Poof went a four-figure fee (a chunk of change, for us) and the wind in my sails. Rats!

Soon after, the golf course adjoining our neighborhood went bankrupt, dropping home values. (Oh, good.) Major investments in the house seemed less wise. However, things are looking up, finally, with a new medical park, on the derelict land. (Hooray.)

Battling on, in February, I did a thread about our kitchen, and everyone here came to the rescue, with tons of wonderful real help, ideas, and thoughtful discussion. Then I had to help Mom through another medical hurdle...

IâÂÂm back again, thanks to the encouragement I find here. And eventually, I still think we can make it beautiful! We may crawl, instead of run, but thatâÂÂs truly OK; progress is progress.

And that, CEFreeman, is the genius behind this thread you started, to celebrate small accomplishments. Thank you!

(And, very kind of you to maintain the peeky-holes for the raccoons.)

• bbtrix
    9 years ago

I've had a long career as an IT Director, and Internet has been a critical part of all factions of my life since its inception. I also live in a rural area so without it I would rely on BH&G and other mags, the library, and professionals for remodeling. I would still use my own gut feelings though. I love the knowledge the net brings to our fingertips so quickly. Gardenweb is a gem!

Love these threads!

• Texas_Gem
    9 years ago

Doth my eyes deceive me?!?! What to my wandering eyes should appear but the slab to a new build just in time for the new year!!

I really wasn't sure if they were going to pour today when I woke up and it was 19 degrees outside.

CEF- I'm not sure mailing a premixed alcoholic drink is legal but I'll gladly share the recipe! ;). Yes, you are correct, I didn't freshly squeeze the juice myself. I've tried bottled pineapple juice in the past and found it to be wanting. I only have my fave cocktail when I happen to be making a recipe calling for crushed or cubed pineapple and I drain the juice off of that.

I certainly hope I'm NEVER in the running for the longest reno but it is feeling that way now.

I knew, going in, that we wouldn't be able to get to "completed" stage right now, the goal was to, essentially, lay the solid backbone and complete steps as funds and time allow.

I did think we would be further than this after a year but ces't la vie.

I will gladly send you a jar of jelly but I do have to preface it by saying my hubby is very stingy about my jelly (considering the past 2 years were ruined, I can't blame him) so I can't send some to everyone on the boards. ;)

• Terri_PacNW
    9 years ago

TG, that looks great. Foundations allow for more..once that is out of the way....you are good to go. Slow or fast.

We all have our hurdles. :)
    It's how we approach them and take them on that matters.

Good luck Schick!
    I just see that house being completely ruined before it's settled..then what the City will allow it demolished?

• rmtdoug
    9 years ago

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone.

I'm off for four days! Hope to get started on tiling the chimney in the bedroom but I need to practice first on some old tile out in the carport.

TG - Looks great. At 19 degrees, you should spray water on it and go ice skating ;)

• CEFreeman
    Original Author
    9 years ago

TG, you're off the hook. I wouldn't want you to have to live with having made jam, then being short because of an online friend!

BUT. (Big BUTT!) next time? LMK and I'll send you $$ for postage. I live on a cheese and crackers, peanut butter and bread, and steak. Of course, my standards of Reese's and Cookie Dough.

Your slab looks Good! It's a huge step in itself. Of course, if you don't get to anything more for a year or so, you have the largest patio ever. Hold barn(less) dance!

Just wanted you all to know.
    Ready?
    I'm cooking.
    Right now.
    With the other hand. Ok, not that.
    I'm making stuffing, turkey thighs (hate white meat) and green bean casserole. And wine.

I've been invited to a friend's tomorrow and probably won't go, but just in case I get my duff in action.

In the meanwhile, I'm laying out the configuration of my kitchen cabinets. I've procrastinated, blaming it on the warm weather. Well, with sleet? got no excuse.

Grateful for: my home, my cats, my sisters (and one's kids, of course) my health, my energy, my job and my sense of humor. Just thought I'd throw all that in.

Happy T-Day, all! :)

Edited to add:
    I guess I'm having an Italian style T-day. After giving my stuffing a big, healthy dose of sage, I discovered I'd grabbed the oregano. C'est la vie! :)

This post was edited by CEFreeman on Wed, Nov 26, 14 at 15:50

• Terri_PacNW
    9 years ago

Lol...
    That is funny...how'd it taste?

• mgmum
    9 years ago

Happy Thanksgiving, folks! Hope you are all recovering from your turkey induced comas!

A2's turkey looked great!

Oh, the internet, how do I love thee? I knew I wanted white cabinets due to my teeny kitchen. I considered both light and dark counters, and looked at tons of online photos. My sister rightly pointed out that with white counters I might freeze when it was winter and I was looking out at a white frozen landscape. I put in dark, Partly because the darker laminate is nicer looking IMO than the light stuff.

Texas, great progress on the house. The jam/jelly looks yummy!
    Schicksal, great tree! I'm hoping to get mine up Monday after school. The boys leave Tuesday night to go to Florida for the older ones soccer tournament. I'd like it up before they go.

Today, the younger one and I are off to Port Huron, MI for a hockey tournament. Wish us luck amid the crazy Black Friday shoppers!

Have a great weekend!

• schicksal
    9 years ago

The pantry doors came in yesterday. They were pretty easy to install, but I have a few places where the drywall needs a little attention now. Due to the way the doors are built I may not be able to have any handles at all. I need to get on the company's site to see what they have to say about it. Anything that may drill into or scratch the tempered glass inside the frame is a non-starter though because that could ruin the whole thing.

I decided to go ahead and trim out the front door for the sidelight that I currently have in there, and just deal with changing the size later. That will enable me to put in the reducer between the entry hall and adjacent areas since I will know how wide to cut it. This week I'm also ordering the stainless for the toe kick and the veneer for the beams. Once that's in the project will be complete and I can move on to something else.

This post was edited by schicksal on Sat, Nov 29, 14 at 7:46

• sherri1058
    9 years ago

I built a house and designed the kitchen "in no time at all". I know that I broke many rules. I loved it, and it functioned well.
    I bought a condo and again, put together a kitchen with no help from anyone. Not exactly what I wanted, but for the limited space, it worked.
    Bought a house that my DH loved on the condition that the kitchen be re-done. Didn't spend much time on the design, and for the most part I've been really happy with it.
    Fast forward 12 years and I want to redo the kitchen - mainly because I want more drawers,deeper uppers and a larger sink. I am paralyzed with all the options and advice that is available on the internet. Sometimes I think ignorance is bliss.

Sponsored
Virginia Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars150 Reviews
Virginia's Award Winning One Stop Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Resource