Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
farmhousebound

Couldn't wait to show y'all!

farmhousebound
15 years ago

Well, we started a few months ago on Phase I of the remodeling project on DH's grandparents farmhouse - so far so good. DH gets to stay at the farmhouse during the week (he's retired) while I get to visit on the weekends. My hood got mounted - still a lot of trim work to finish out around it and the stove is on a dolly until we are ready to finish out floor which will be after the first phase, then painting and trim work by DH and I. Excuse the mess, unfinished stuff, . . . but I couldn't wait to show y'all my hood and stove as I can starte to "see" my vision of my kitchen starting to take shape. Let's see if this works!

{{!gwi}}

Okay, since that looks like it might have worked, I am also going to attach a copy of the outside - the right side (as looking at the picture) and a 13' addition along the back are the new rooms--a master BR/BA and extension of kitchen and of the den. When I get to retire, I want to be able to take in golden retriever seniors and continue to help out with Adopt-a-Golden Rescue--thus, the golden retriever weathervane on top of the new cupola (sp?). We plan on naming the farm "Olde Gold Retreat".

{{!gwi}}/i172.photobucket.com/albums/w5/jcandsam/cupola2.jpg"; border="0" alt="Golden Weathervane">

Comments (30)

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    15 years ago

Oh, I just LOVE it! Your stove took my breath away. Details please! Your kitchen is going to be gorgeous! Great job!

I love the weathervane. Beautiful home. Please keep us updated on what is happening. What are you planning for the rest of the materials and appliances in the kitchen? I would love to hear details!

• rhome410
    15 years ago

VERY nice! Can't wait to see it finished.

• remodelfla
    15 years ago

OH.. this is going to be so much fun to watch!

• farmhousebound
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you!!! I am so excited and I know only my TKO friends on this site can appreciate it! The stove is around a 1936 Chambers stove and the hood is the Modern Aire P26(?) which I discovered off of this forum (thanks!). As you can tell in the picture, to the left of the stove is the old kitchen, to the right is part of the new. All of the old house has the 3/4" real beadboard layed out horizontally rather than vertically and we are trying to simulate in most of the new addition (couldn't afford to do with real beadboard!). I think once we have caulked and painted it will look much better and will line up with our "vision".

Other than a few base cabinets and a new farmhouse sink on the wall looking out over the backyard, most of the kitchen will be unfitted antique pieces--pie safes, baker cabinets, ice box, work bench. Countertops will be soapstone (found out about on this forum). I will be re-doing an entertainment center base into an island which will have a marble countertop and a prep sink. I will be using shelving on either side of my sink rather than upper cabinets. For my pantry doors, I have 2 screen doors that I have cleaned up and which have the original "Colonial is Good Bread" push/pull handles (had to re-paint as someone had painted them an ugly brown). I was able to have a 1951 GE refrigerator refurbished (I will have a newer fridge in the laundry room which is the door to the left of the stove). The other new piece is a Northstar (?) vintage looking microwave which will sit on top of a pine icebox. We plan on having 2-1/4" quartersawn whiteoak flooring, waterlox finish (again, found out about on this forum!).

Basically, the kitchen has been built around the stove and other antique pieces. I have learned so much by lurking on this forum for the past couple of years and really appreciate all of you for posting your kitchens and the help you give daily. My final kitchen will not be done for quite a while since we are doing this in phases, but will continue to try and post progress pics.

Thanks again everyone!!

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    15 years ago

Oh, lucky, lucky you to have the Chambers stove! I think an older Chambers is the one that Julia Child used in her kitchen. I hear they are WONDERFUL! I can't wait to see more pictures as it progresses! Thanks for the info and please continue to post.

• malhgold
    15 years ago

I can't wait to follow this renovation and see how things progress. I can see that it is going to be a fabulous kitchen that will be like no other. Congratulations and good luck with the rest. Please continue to post updates!

• cotehele
    15 years ago

You have a gem-not just the hood, but the stove and the house! I can't wait to see more. The unfitted antiques are intriguing. I love old pie safes. Best wishes with the Golden rescue, too. What a lovely place for them to live.

• jessie21
    15 years ago

That stove put a HUGE smile on my face! Fantastic. Can't wait to see your progress. I also just love your plans for the Olde Gold Retreat. Wonderful idea.

• erikanh
    15 years ago

Ohh lovely! That's the same hood I'm getting (different color). Can't wait to hear if you like it once you're cooking!

E

• marthavila
    15 years ago

Farmhousebound,

Having followed your posts for some time now, I might be nearly as happy as you to finally get a glimpse of where you're going with your kitchen. LOL! No wonder you can't wait to show some pictures. There's no question your're on the road to creating one fabulous farm house kitchen! Now, of course I love the Chambers stove but I'm loving that hood as well. As a matter of fact, I love it so much that I just had a claret red PS26 installed in my own kitchen only yesterday! Don't you just love it?

BTW, hope you don't mind that I posted about your kitchen and hood over on the Appliance Forum. A poster over there who said s/he was interested in a PS 26-- but needs to top vent-- was concerned about how that alteration might impact the barrel design. I advised her to check out your hood which, IMO, looks superb!

Here is a link that might be useful: Looking for a Range Hood on the AF

• busybme
    15 years ago

farmhouse, thank you so much for sharing pictures. What a treat to see the work that you have done and your gorgeous stove!!

And since they call your retirement the 'golden years', I guess your work with the Golden rescue is quite perfect! From one dog-lady to another, I salute you! : )

Sandy

• morton5
    15 years ago

Wow, with all your wonderful choices, maybe you can rent your house as a movie set to defray some of the remodel costs. I'll enjoy watching your progress. That tree behind the house is stunning. What a wonderful place to retire to-- looks like it's mostly on one level.

• gwent
    15 years ago

I am curious about the age and style of your house. Something tells me you are not in my neighborhood (New England) as we don't have many houses with that look.
    I especially love the porch pillers.
    I'm guessing its a upper mid west location/or Canada built in the 1920s??
    Love it!

• rnest44
    15 years ago

You have such a lovely house with that great porch. Won't the finished kitchen be a great place to be on a cold, snowy winter eve? Thanks for sharing.

• moonkat99
    15 years ago

Oh my - this is going to be one of those REALLY fun ones to watch unfold! I can hardly wait!

• igloochic
    15 years ago

I love love love the stove and the fact that you're building a kitchen around it :) And gad...the house...wow what a dream! I can't wait to see more!

• arleneb
    15 years ago

Looks beautiful . . . love your stove! And from one GR lover to another . . . blessings on your retreat idea. We lost our 13-year-old GR last Christmas and look forward to a puppy when we're in the new house. I'd always planned to be a foster mom to expectant dogs in the Paws with a Cause program in Michigan, but I'm afraid we're too far away since we moved. Will need to check that out . . .

arlene

• farmhousebound
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Just taking a break from priming walls and checking in--thank you everyone for your wonderful responses as it reaffirms my decisions and choices regarding various items for my kitchen, all of which have been agonized over and changed several times. I have learned so much on this forum and have been influenced by so many of you that have posted--my countertops, hood, light fixtures, flooring, even the mosaic which is going in my master bath!

The farmhouse used to belong to my husband's grandparents so we are trying to stay true to the house as much as possible. It is located right outside of Thomson, Georgia (close to Augusta) where my husband's family is from. It was built by his uncle in the mid-30s for his parents and is a typical craftman-style southern farmhouse. It is all on one level as we knew this was where we would be spending our senior years and wanted to make it easy on us when our bones started giving way (LOL). When we started working on the plans a few years back, we were not going to do much to the original footprint but were going to add a fairly large addition to the back that we would actually live in so as to not mess with the look of the front of the house. After we were able to move in last Christmas, we decided we liked all of the house so much we reworked our plans so that I could get the kitchen I had dreamed of (one which could fit all of my antiques!), keep the house looking "balanced", as well as utilize all of the original floorplan. We are really happy w/ how it is coming along.

Thanks again for the encouragement--will post pics as it progresses!

• eandhl
    15 years ago

We are almost finished with a gut renovation so I know what you are going through. You have a gem of a house, great stove and you paired it with the perfect hood. I too am looking forward to follow your progress. Also bless you for considering the GR rescue.

• cooperbailey
    15 years ago

I think thats the prettiest Chambers stove I have seen! There have been a number of them on my local CL but they don't come close to yours!
    I love your style of house. That is what I think of when I think of my someday cottage on a lake- gotta be on a lake for our goldens! Can't wait to see more pics.

• vicnsb
    15 years ago

Wow what fun to look forward to,,,its a great house
    and your range and hood look awesome!

How fun to look forward to rescuing dogs too...I think
    that would be a great thing to do. Keep the pics coming!

vic

• rosie
    15 years ago

What a fine old house, FHB. It's going to be wonderful watching it evolve for yet another generation of living. And your new stove and hood are wonderful teasers...:)

• caryscott
    15 years ago

What a gorgeous house, nice stove as well.

• reno_fan
    15 years ago

Awesome kitchen and house!! Have you "met" Zipdee from the Decorating board? I swear your houses and kitchens were separated at birth, LOL!

• reno_fan
    15 years ago

Here is Zipdee's progress on another thread.

LOVE the farmhouse/vintage appliances! (In both spaces.)

Here is a link that might be useful: Zipdee's kitchen remodel

• farmhousebound
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Renofan--thanks for the link! I had seen her post on the kitchen forum and loved what she was doing--very, very similar to my goal. I went over and posted on her thread. I really liked your suggestions to her (you seem to have a definite "feel" for what we are both trying to achieve) and if possible, maybe you can weigh in on what we are trying to do w/ our ceiling to match the old part of the house?

Everyone else--thanks!!!!!! Y'all are so encouraging and I am really going to enjoy posting progress pics with this kind of response!

• lascatx
    15 years ago

I love the house, the age and the Chambers. My grandmother had a Chambers range that I didn't appreciate enough at the time. The house is a similar age to the first house I owned and loved. Enjoy!

• erikanh
    15 years ago

farmhouse, I hope you're around to see me bump this thread! I'm getting ready to order my Modern Aire PS26 and I was wondering if you could answer a few questions?

Did you get glossy, semi-gloss or matte?
    How many CFM? External or internal blower? Is it quiet? Do you think it's powerful enough?

The folks at MA are recommending a 1400 CFM Abbaka with external blower, vented out the back. Professional series with baffles.

Thanks!

Erika

• Nicole Valentine
    15 years ago

Love that stove!!!!! and that hood is perfect for it! I'm going to follow your posts so keep showing us progress please.

• mamadadapaige
    15 years ago

will definitely be keeping tabs on you!! love the stove and hood and think your house is positively charming. thanks for sharing.