Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Backsplash suggestions for Sienna Bordeaux Granite?

Posted by Melissa-Kitchen (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 30, 12 at 10:42

I know that I am ahead of myself but I am looking for suggestions for a backsplash to go with my new granite. It will be installed in about 2 weeks and I am anxious to choose a backsplash so my kitchen can be completed before Christmas. I won't make a final decision before it's installed but it would be nice to have an idea of what I want.

My cabinets are being painted white as we speak. Day one of the painter....how many more days to go? I underestimated the chaos that this kitchen reno would cause.

So, any suggestions? My husband has vetoed mosaic backsplashes. He thinks that they are too busy.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Melissa

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Backsplash suggestions for Sienna Bordeaux Granite?

Definitely something relatively subtle. Maybe a cream-colored subway tile?

o

I was trying really hard to avoid a subway tile. Our last house had it on the kitchen and bathroom floors. After 8 years there, I would really like something different. I do like the look of it on a backsplash but hated it on my floors.

o

I don't think the shape of the tile matters so much as the color of the tile. Your DH is right. This is a busy granite and needs a solid baksplash. I love the idea of cream for the backsplash but you could certainly go with a deeper color.
This choice is often the hardest. It can be difficult to pick the right shade of cream or tan.
Some people use accent tiles or borders, so you have a lot to think about.

o

Cream arabesque?
I too didn't want classic subway - so I went with squares - straight below the border and then diagonal above the border.

This is before the switch cover was added - mostly we have plugmold under cabinet but a few wall outlets near switches

Photobucket

o

Do you think that a tumbled stone would be too busy?

o

People are getting away from the tumbled stone. I personally think it would be too busy, but that would not be why I would caution you about this choice.
Depending on the lot, you could wind up with stone with a pinkish hue. Often times too, when the entire backsplash is installed, the beige shade does not blend with the beiges in the granite.
Ceramic tiles are more consistent and less chance of a surprise finish.
I love 2gemini's backsplash. You can do it plain, with a border or accent tiles. The idea is to have one star in the kitchen. And, your granite has already taken that slot!

o

Here are a few that might look pretty and are not subway.
~boxer

Onyx

Photobucket

eclectic kitchen tile

Photobucket

Photobucket

google image
Photobucket

this is from the simplefied bee design file
Photobucket

exotic granite

I like this mix of tumbled stone and beadboard
Photobucket

o

I think a tile like the one below would look great with your granite. It comes in other colors if this color doesn't work. This tile would provide some textural interest without thus usual business of a mosaic. You granite is beautiful.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tile source

o

look at the post under Kitchen Forums by veevs called I think I found my backsplash but need your opinion....I think her backsplash would look amazing with your granite.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here