Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Finally - Kitchen DEMO and butcher block countertop question

Posted by jackaround (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 5, 13 at 10:42

I have been lurking around forever and wanted to say this has been the most helpful website. The photos and specific details in these posts are incredible.

If you had told me months ago that I would change my mind fifty times I never would have believed you. It is amazing to me how this project has evolved and I'm sure will continue to evolve.

It is exciting and scary and I just want to get it right!

I have a question about butcher block countertops.

We are having Crema Astoria granite on one perimeter wall and peninsula. I wanted butcher block on the other perimeter wall where the range will be.

My family is talking me out of it for basic hygiene reasons (!!!).

My KD says I need two slabs of granite regardless.
So - the butcher block is an additional cost plus a bit more hassle, since his butcher block guy is quite a distance away and I need to have the granite guy template and have my carpenter install it. It's all doable, but I'm second guessing the whole thing. There are some gorgeous Boos butcherblocks that sit on top of the counter and even have a lip. That seems like a pretty good option.

I'd like feedback from butcher block countertop owners. How do you like them and how are you maintaining them?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Finally - Kitchen DEMO and butcher block countertop question

I have Ikea butcher block counters, and some soapstone around my sink. I really really love the butcherblock. I love having wood counters in my kitchen. They look and feel warmer than granite, which I've had in all my previous kitchens (and Corian, which I dislike because it feels so plasticy to me).

They require a little more maintenance, at least at first. I used Ikea's oil finish, and I had to hand rub six coats onto the counters, waiting 12 hours between each coat. Now, the counters are fine, wipe clean easily, and are no more maintenance than was granite. I love how they look. My soapstone looks crummy, needs oiling all the time, and has water spots from the sink. If I could do it over again, I'd put wood around my main sink too, but DH insisted we had to have stone around the main sink. We have Ikea butcherblock around our prep sink and there's no problem with staining, etc.

I love John Boos butcherblock, so that would be an option for you, but it would raise the height of your counters by an inch or so if you go with the one that sits on top. That could be an advantage or not, depending on how tall you are. I don't cut on my counters. I have a butcherblock cutting board that sits on top of my island, which is also butcherblock. So even if you get butcherblock, you may end up with the John Boos cutting board on top.

o
RE: Finally - Kitchen DEMO and butcher block countertop question

Exactly what I wanted to know. Thanks so much for your response.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here