Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scrappy25

Post-It Label Roll Tape is the BEST helper during the renovation

scrappy25
9 years ago

I havn't seen a posting on this but wanted to let everyone know about Post-It Label Roll tape. It is sticky enough to STAY, easy to pull off without marring anything and does not leave sticky residue, and thick enough to write on with a Sharpie bleeding through.

During the renovation process I have gone through two rolls so far. I use green for electrical and yellow for the general contractor. There are other colors available also. Every night when I come home I check the progress and leave about 10-15 sticky notes with questions or suggestions. (ie
- The floor is bouncy here (outlined with the tape), please fix the source (turned out we had to shore up the joist and replace our subfloors)
- please insulate/caulk under drywall gaps on exterior wall before tiling
- paint touchup needed here
- this segment of wall needs skim coating since it is so rough
- etc.

I sometimes summarize the notes ,if there are a lot, on an email that I send to the contractor and print out to leave in a communication notebook to make sure that he has seen them all.

My contractor is very good and obliging but he only writes back one sentence emails and is slightly short on communication, He says that having these notes makes it a lot easier to figure out the issue rather than having to decipher an email or written note in a notebook. Once the issue has been checked or resolved I remove the note.

If I didn't have this I would probably use masking tape but that is not nearly as visible or removable. The post-it square paper notes are just not sticky enough for this purpose.

I have NO affiliation with Post-It Label tape, just a happy user.
HTH

Comments (7)

• cookncarpenter
    9 years ago

If you are paying a GC, and he is doing his job, he should be communicating these issues to the subs before you even have a chance to post the sticky.
    You in essence are acting as GC, and could have eliminated whatever fee you are paying, now he is just a middle man... just my .2 cents as a contractor for over 30 years.
    Not that we've never used sticky notes before, they work well, but it's usually on a final walk thru for paint touch up etc. Chris

This post was edited by ctycdm on Tue, Nov 11, 14 at 13:01

• suzanne_sl
    9 years ago

Excellent idea. The bonus is that you can address each issue as you run across it and still remember it.

• scrappy25
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Not to mislead- all these notes are for the contractor but the color coding is to make it easy to find info.

My kitchen design and installation was coordinated by myself with a custom cabinet company and the GC is doing everything else, Hence the main need for the sticky notes since although he has the plans, he does not know all the details of planning that went into the kitchen design . One example is , "move this outlet over 3 inches to the right so that it does not interfere with the where the backsplash ends"). If the GC was coordinating the whole thing, the notes are probably not as needed.

• elleninmaine
    9 years ago

thank you for that excellent idea!!!. did not know the tape existed and think it will be very helpful in my project (the total renovation of a small folk victorian (?) in upstate NY)

when i, in maine, texted a question (yet another) to my contractor, in NY, he texted back the following: "don't poke the bear"

there may not be enough footage of the post-it tape available for me.........

• bpath
    9 years ago

I love the PostIt tape for so many things, but I didn't know it came in colors, but of course it would!

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

As a contractor, a little of this goes a long way. If I came to my job site facing 15 or more of these every day, I'd give the customer their deposit back. You've gotta be sleeping with me to second guess this much.

• Vertise
    9 years ago

Spread the word, lol! I remember reading how much contractors hate customers posting notes and markers all over the place. They will just love this!

Personally, I think it's an easy and effective technique. If they pay attention to them. I have generally not found them to pay attention to much, whether it be in verbal, list, drawings or post-it note form. Especially with the foreign laborers that get sent in, who would probably read them if they could. What a waste of time and energy trying to communicate. You just get whatever they wanted to do, The way they always do it. Which is usually in their own special way.