Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stcy

If I know I want to mix metals...

ott2
11 years ago

Good morning!

If I want to intentionally be able to mix metals in my kitchen, what are the rules for doing this cleanly?

The bulk of the fixtures in the house will range between black-ish to ORB. This includes door handles, ceiling fans, etc. Couple of bathrooms have brushed nickel fixtures. The floors in the kitchen and connecting living area / hallway will be a natural stain (I think) white oak. Cabinets on the darker side. Island tops in White Macaubas, surrounding countertops in something dark. I think the hood will be a blackened steel, but will probably let you guys decide that when I have more info.

The floors in much of the rest of the house are a tile that has definite copper tones and some black.

My range and ovens will be stainless, but fridge/dw/etc will be integrated.

I like/enjoy the differences in metals just as I do differences in stones/woods.

I hope to be able to find some old, beat up copper pot(s) that I can use somewhere in my kitchen.

I am leaning towards stainless under-mount sinks. Main sink will be on one of the White Macaubas islands. Have planned on a Waterstone Fulton faucet which comes in many finishes. Which finish?

And where/how else can I cleanly mix metals, or should I NOT?

So glad for gardenweb as a resource and for all of you who are willing to share your talents!

Ott2

Comments (9)

• springroz
    11 years ago

There are no rules, that' s why Kitchen Designers make the big bucks.....

Namcy

• Elraes Miller
    11 years ago

There should be options available which would incorporate different metals. Copper pots are seen with stainless, brass, heavy metal, etc. Perhaps find something in copper which is mixed, along with other metal items and go from there with your ideas. I actually like your idea of mixing metals. Check out the HOUZE website and search some ideas. What you are thinking of feels like French Country or a bit rustic.

• Elraes Miller
    11 years ago

I'm sure you will get some welcoming suggestions.

• nineteenoeight
    11 years ago

I'm enamored with copper, and I have a Waterstone copper finish faucet. Cabinet handles are antique black iron, range is stainless, hood is copper. I don't think there are rules, but I focused on 2 metals - cast iron and copper, to make sure there was a feeling of continuity. The range in stainless - well, didn't quite have a choice there. I don't notice it at all, and the black cast iron grates tie with the cast iron cabinet handles. ('course I also have green cupboards and stained oak and stained fir and warm orangy-yellow walls. So kind of a mish-mosh).

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

I also have a WS faucet. I bought the WS first and went with Antique brass - then I had to figure out the rest of the hardware - oops -
    Had to decide on AB to match faucet or Stainless/Chrome/Nickel or black to match appliances.
    I decided my faucet was lonely and even though at the 11th hour - I almost switched to Badgergal's pulls, I stayed the course and am very happy.
    I do have other metals in the kitchen - Hubbardton Forge has their own variety - but they are far enough away from the action to hold their own.

When I asked GW - it was a split decision - so go with what feels right - talk to your kitchen and your kitchen will help in the decision :-)

• ott2
    Original Author
    11 years ago

So helpful. Thank you!

springroz - Good point! Instead of "rules", I'll solicit "advice" from this talented body of folks. There are so many beautiful kitchens that seem to have been influenced by this forum that advice from here is really credible in my view.

technicolor - Your note alarmed be just a little because our new build is definitely very contemporary! But..., when I went to HOUZZ, I did find lots of contemporary kitchens that mix some metals (mostly stainless/chrome/nickel and ORB?), and I liked the look. I think I am a split personality with respect to design, because I really like contemporary with clean lines, but I also love an eclectic/quirky look. The contemporary will happen because the rest of the house is contemporary, but I want to slide some eclectic/quirky in where I can. Thanks!

nineteenoeight - Mish mosh is great! Thanks for sharing how you mixed.

a2gemini - We won't have handles or pulls on the doors/drawers other than the paneled appliances. The doors/drawers will have some kind of finger pull thing on the top. NOT my idea, but also not one I will argue over (again). This was a biggie for DH and the architect. The WS antique brass almost glows in its loveliness! What type of sink do you have with this faucet? And, is maintaining the finish on your faucet a concern, or does it maintain somewhat easily?
    I do split decisions so well all by myself! Never fails, though, that someone here presents an angle that I hadn't thought of to sway my decisions.

Thanks again for all of your help! Ott2

• grlwprls
    11 years ago

I always mix metals. In my last kitchen I had brass, stainless, and flat black iron. It worked. In my new kitchen, I'm planning the same.

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

Ott - Sorry about your hardware problem - I didn't have jewelry on my old cabinets - just reached into a groove - it was a pain but OK - but you can add later.

The WS is Antique Brass - it is not a living finish, so almost no maintenance - they have some that are living finishes - beautiful but I knew not for me. I might have looked at some copper versions if I was more organized during the reno - but again, copper is a living finish which I am sure I could not maintain.

The sink is Blanco Silgranit Cafe Brown. It is the Cascade model.

Good luck and will be watching your decisions.

• camphappy
    11 years ago

I have two copper sinks (love them!), venetian bronze faucets, ORB cabinet hardware, and SS appliances. My cabinets are medium stained quarter sawn oak and my counter a light quartzite. I am considering copper tiles for backsplash. I personally love the combo of metals (but I am far from being a KD). Sounds like your kitchen will be a wonderful combo of textures and colors.