Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vwhippiechick

Interesting Article on Countertop Options

vwhippiechick
9 years ago

This is an interesting article about countertop choices. My beloved soapstone is not even mentioned. Just thought some who are making choices currently might like to read. P.S. Ignore the ridiculous post-article discussion.
http://dishwashers.reviewed.com/features/goodbye-granite-the-6-hottest-countertop-finishes?utm_source=TB_paid&utm_medium=cpc

Comments (10)

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

They can keep their tile countertops!
    I put the link into a linkable format at the bottom of the post.

Here is a link that might be useful: 5 Counter top materials

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

After having my fridge shelf explode when I touched it with a sponge, I'd be worried about tempered glass. The slightest mistake in fabricating, and you have a potential bomb in your kitchen :)
    Google exploding glass tables.
    However, I like the ceramics.Of course, most of these materials, except wood and maybe tiles, may be better suited for modern kitchens, which are more popular in Europe than here.

• Kippy
    9 years ago

So, what do you all think will be the new hot must have in kitchen counter tops?

I am looking forward to redoing our kitchen, but since I am trying to keep more in the style of the house (minus the wood cookstove) I am not worried about chasing trends.

I do find it interesting that Walnut and Brass seem to be hot, what next Avocado and Harvest Gold appliances? Or will it be Pink and Gray with rocket ship patterns? All of those things we were to happy to get rid of are back for a visit it seems

• Debbi Branka
    9 years ago

I have a gold stove in my basement! I'm going to have to move it out very soon (when the Bluestart arrives and the current stove moves downstairs). I really hate to as it is an awesome stove (GE electric coils, circa 1970s I think). I've had it since 1988. I'm probably going to put it out to the curb just in time for gold to become popular again :)

• rmtdoug
    9 years ago

So, what do you all think will be the new hot must have in kitchen counter tops?

Kippy - Follow the prices. Unfortunately, it appears to be soapstone. Exactly one-and-a-half years ago I was quoted soapstone slabs from a Seattle dealer at $22 sf for all SS slabs. Today, they are $40 sf. That's over an 80% increase.

• Kippy
    9 years ago

Mt Doug, don't you think Soap stone is too similar to granite to not be "hot" for long?

• eandhl
    9 years ago

Except for the wood counter they all look like they would only fit in a modern house.

• rmtdoug
    9 years ago

Kippy - Other than both being rocks, they are about as opposite as possible, at least I think so, but it's the intangibles that drive popularity. Luckily, I'm agnostic about counters. I wanted soapstone and still want soapstone because it's appropriate for my 100-year-old house and it is an easy DIY fabrication, which is a big plus to me, but if I can't afford it when it's time to buy I will use something else without hesitation.

• Hydragea
    9 years ago

I agree with oldryder, that granite will not go out. That's because it's a practical surface.

I don't agree that man-made stones will end up having a shorter lifecycle than granite. Certain colours of granite will go out, and that cycle will be just as fast as that of man-made products.

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz