Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loves2read

Buying sink mat/grid??

loves2read
9 years ago

I have what I think is a silegranite sink--double/equal bowls w/low divider and the drains are in the center top of the bowls--not offset like the Blanco Diamond...
they have a curved edge at the top...
I want to get a grid or mat to fit but can't find one locally that fits the drains' locations in the sinks' bottoms....

I don't mind getting one that is little smaller than the entire bottom--
but I am not certain that I can get one to fit on-line with measuring the dimensions...

I don't know the make/model--we bought the house couple of years ago and sellers had some info regarding appliances and other features when they remodeled the kitchen but not the sink...

Comments (11)

• kimstm
    9 years ago

You can look at the blanco site and see if your sink is on there so you can find which grid they sell for your sink. I am having the siligranit diamond sink installed. I ordered the grid from amazon. Good luck!

Kim

• PhoneLady
    9 years ago

I agree you could have luck on the BÃÂanco site.

Or - Before we remodeled our kitchen, we had a double sink needing new grids. But the sink and the grids had both been discontinued and it was impossible to find the "official" grids. We also didn't want to spend a lot because we knew a new sink would be purchased in the remodel.

I measured the bottom of the sinks and got the dimensions for a square or rectangle that would clear any curves on the sides of the sinks while lying flat. I found a stainless steel one on Amazon that was about $10. It got the job done and was easy to clean (DW safe).

Plus now I don't need them in a sink, so I use them as cooling racks when I bake.

• PhoneLady
    9 years ago

Oh I reread and saw you wanted the racks to fit the drains. I wanted that too but it ended up being impossible. The racks I bought had no drain cut out at all but worked really well. Because they were a bit smaller than the bottom of the sink, I could easily pull them up and lean them against the side of the sink when I needed the drain totally clear. I have a garbage disposal and I could rinse dishes off and everything moved freely through the grid.

• brightm
    9 years ago

Oooh, thanks for the idea of using a not-used grid as a cooling rack.

We've got a Silgranit Diamond Super Single and DH REALLY wanted the grid. I've tried it both ways and I prefer without it. He keeps suggesting we put it back in, but I remind him I do 95% of the sink-related cleaning, so it's my decision.

But with my much bigger oven than I'm used to, I can bake a TON of cookies at once. And I just made a note yesterday that I need to get another cooling rack or two. The problem is just where to store the thing. It was on top of a non-full-height cabinet out of the way, but I have no idea where DH stashed it for Thanksgiving with company over.

• Mrs_Nyefnyef
    9 years ago

I agree with Cal_quail that I've tried the grid, and prefer my Silgranit sink without it. The grid is just one more thing to clean. It gets gunk in the nooks and crannies. I don't miss the grid one bit.

• kimstm
    9 years ago

I just got my diamond sink grid in last week. Is the only reason you don't like the grid is because of the cleaning? I have the black sink so stainless grid wasn't really what I wanted, but fear of scratching my sink one me over to the grid. It will be installed in the next two weeks.

Kim

• Mrs_Nyefnyef
    9 years ago

Kimstm - Silgranit sink doesn't scratch so you don't need a grid with a Silgranit sink in order to prevent scratching. If you get a stainless steel sink then the grid is essential to prevent scratching the stainless steel. And yes, I don't like the grid cause it is one more thing to clean, and if I don't clean it, I have to look at bits of gunk, and also the grid becomes dull-looking if it's not cleaned. Also, things fall through the grid, and I have to lift the grid to take them out, which isn't a big deal, but it is just something I find annoying.

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

I have a grid. I don't store it in the sink but pop it in as needed
    I didn't want the gunk factor in the little rubber feet.
    I do use with heavy LeCr or Staub pans. Silgranit might not scratch but it can crack if something heavy drops on edge.

• kimstm
    9 years ago

Thanks for the input. I think I will also use as needed.

Kim

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

I've had a Silgranit double sink with Blanco grids for 8 years. We wash our pots on the left and rinse on the right. The left grid little rubber thingies never get "gunked" up because there is hot soapy water over them twice a day. The right side ones do, and when I see it I (maybe once a month/six weeks) on a heavily used sink), I fill the sink with a couple inches of water and put in some chlorine bleach...clean them out with a tooth pick and go from there. We use that side of the sink for rinsing pots and washing veggies. It has the disposer. I LOVE the grids, as I can put stuff on the grid and it stays dry while I rinse a carrot or celery stick.

The mats I tried remained wet underneath. Always. An additional good thing with the grids is that the Silgranit sink is DEEP and the grid makes it easier to put things down (not so far).

-Babka

• tinker1121
    9 years ago

I have a Swanstone granite sink in black and knew when I purchased it that the 70/30 low curved divide style did not offer a grid.

Even though the sink is tough, I like something in the sink when washing pans or trays and found black Rubbermaid Anti-microbial sink protectors at Target and they work just great. Easier to move around when cleaning than those rigid grid types and as someone else mentioned, those with rubber feet can get nasty. It doesn't have the hole for the drain but I can just wipe it off and put in the other side of the sink when cleaning and vice versa for small side. Can be trimmed to fit also.

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio