Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fourhappy

First set of Kitchen design plans

fourhappy
9 years ago

Please give me any comments you may have on this first set of plans. There are things I already want to change around a bit. One thing that should be noted is that I told them that we were interested in double wall ovens but it didn't make it into these plans. I think the double wall ovens will go on the wall opposite the sink wall where it's just a row of cabinets showing now...

We are going to be a family of 6 - we entertain for holidays and throughout the year we have family visiting that stays over weekends so we have a lot of gatherings. The door leading into the kitchen is from the garage/mudroom. The bulter's pantry area is open to the dining room. The kitchen on the other side is open to the family room and there will be an eat in area btwn the family room and kitchen. There will be french doors just on the end of the cabinet run with the sink (where the table will be).

I have a few more pics but didn't want to post too many - i thought these game the most overview. Will post one here and one in 2nd post.

Comments (16)

• fourhappy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

other side view...

• live_wire_oak
    9 years ago

Is there a prep sink or not? With the island oriented the way it is, it absolutely needs a prep sink. Is that a cooktop or rangetop?

You have a lot of upper end style choices for your kitchen. A range top, mantle hood, and separate wall ovens. Lots and lots of cabinetry. Does that sit well with your projected budget?

• fourhappy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes there should be a prep sink - one pic shows it the other does not.
    This design shows a full range.

• fourhappy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

should have added - if we go with the double wall ovens as opposed to range we would have a cooktop in that area.

• funkycamper
    9 years ago

Wow, big kitchen. You have lots of options.

Yes to the prep sink. Might consider moving DW to the left of the main sink to alleviate congestion with a stove and two sinks fairly close to each other.

Since you do have so many cabinets for storage, you might want to consider having some glass doors on some of your uppers and/or having some open shelving. Maybe even a plate rack? Just to eliminate the wall of cabinets look, break things up, and provide some visual interest.

• fourhappy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thanks funkycamper! I was thinking of open shelving idea as well b/c it does look like a ton of cabinets. That or making the window a little wider.

• practigal
    9 years ago

That seems like acres and acres of the same cabinet, it would not be my personal preference. You may want to consider varying the height of the uppers, adding decorative crown molding, or putting glass in the front of some of the cabinets. With nice cabinets it will look very expensive, but not very interesting. Given the overall apparent size of the room that one window does look rather small you may want to bring it down to counter height or add another window or two on that wall instead. I would move the dishwasher to the other side of the kitchen sink so that it is not in the prep space between the kitchen sink and the stove. I would doublecheck that the aisles are wide enough around the island, the space between the kitchen sink and the island looks to be less than 3 feet and 42"-48" is appropriate. There is currently no microwave in the picture (it may be that you do not want one or were putting it in a drawer in the island). I am not sure what is behind all of the lower cabinets but a trash receptacle should be located near each of the sinks. I personally would use drawers rather than cabinets on all of the lowers.

• funkycamper
    9 years ago

Agree with practigal to all or mostly lower drawers, trash placement, and the windows. I don't think you can have too many windows in any room but especially in a kitchen. Making the window bigger or adding another would look great but I would definitely lean toward making it bigger. I would be tempted to be all window on the wink side with no uppers at all. Love the light. Double yes to taking windows down to counter height.

• aokat15
    9 years ago

I have a large kitchen and opted for multiple windows on my sink wall with no uppers. I'm so glad I did this as I did not need the extra upper cabinet storage and also have additional pantry space. I have french doors next to my sink wall as well which is in the area for my table. I would consider that in your space as well as it would be beautiful and you really don't need the extra storage. Google wall of windows over sink or something like that and you should get a ton of inspiration pics. Happy planning!

• annkh_nd
    9 years ago

With all that storage space, I would definitely blank off the corner - upper and lower (or at least put in an easy reach upper). I would also eliminate the cabinet above the range, and make the hood a focal point.

All drawers, no doubt.

Even with all that space, I think it's important to lay out in advance what will go where. Certain things need to go near their point of use: cooking utensils, pots and pans, potholders and spices near the stove; plates and glasses near the DW; leftover containers in the cleanup zone; knives and cutting boards in the prep zone; trash convenient to prep and cleanup. Then figure out where you will put often-used items: baking dishes, small appliances, coffee filters, bags and wraps, towels.

What do you anticipate using the long counter for - opposite the island? what will go in those cabinets?

In your second picture, on the left side, I see what looks like floor to ceiling cabinets. Is this pantry storage? How deep is it? A walk-in or reach-in pantry there might be more efficient - and definitely less expensive than another wall of cabinets.

An overhead view with dimensions would be helpful. So would a sketch showing how the kitchen relates to the rest of the house.

• fourhappy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

annkh - thanks for the comment. Yeah i've been trying to think about where everything would go. This is the first attempt at a drawing by the kitchen designer and there are definitely a lot of things that can change so I'm very grateful for all the comments here so i can think through things that I otherwise may not have.

I'm not sure what you mean by the long counter opposite the island - do you mean the string of cabinets on the wall opposite the sink? If so I think if we do double wall ovens I'd like them to go there and maybe a baking area where I could store my baking supplies, mixer and maybe there I would have a cutout/shelf for a microwave.

the other wall of long cabinets is actually the pantry. We are thinking of making the full walk-in pantry a butlers pantry with a walk through. currently to get to our dining room you go around by the bathroom and we thought it might be helpful to have another passage through. On the wall that looks like all cabinets that is pantry space - reach in pantry space. The other side will be glass upper cabinets and lower cabinets with a countertop. i'm thinking this will serve as coffee/wine beverage area.

i'm attaching a drawing of the floor plan - unfortunately it doesn't have all of the measurements though. i have a whole bunch of drawings where some have them and some do not. This is an architect drawing where the other was a kitchen designer so the layout has changed a bit but this gives an idea of the flow of the first floor.

• Buehl
    9 years ago

Is this a new build or remodel?

What can/cannot be changed? Windows? Doors/doorways?

• fourhappy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

this is a remodel/addition. everything on that floor plan with a bolded black wall is new walls. we are basically bumping back the existing walls in the kitchen/family room so all of those windows/doors will be new (can change) and we are adding the mudroom. (this is a slightly older version of the floor plan and the mudroom area has changed a little)

• debrak2008
    9 years ago

Change most of the lower cabinets to drawers. I would consider moving the fridge away from the stove.

• GreenDesigns
    9 years ago

More square footage is not always better. Especially when it's in the wrong spots. I don't think you're getting your money's worth from your plan to expand. The mudroom and laundry are not in positions of high traffic use. The kitchen will remain the dumping ground. That long counter with nothing but a fridge on it adds nothing to the functionality of the kitchen, but it will become the primary landing spot for everything that you hoped would go in the mud area. You cannot fight human nature on that one. People will always take the easier path.

To work with the space and not against it, get rid of the mudroom where it's currently located, and put the powder room there with a short hall to access it and the laundry. Then recreate the current pantry and powder room into the mudroom and pantry, with the entrance from the garage entering the mudroom directly. I'd eliminate that useless run of cabinets by the fridge and relocate it to the sink run. Then incorporate that into the mudroom/pantry. It's honestly not at all a contributor to the workflow, and is only costing you money to create, and a lot of additional money for cabinets that you don't need.

• fourhappy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thanks green. the last layout i posted has changed slightly. the fridge is not staying on that run, thats moving to the cooktop area. I was posting earlier that i'm thinking of putting double wall ovens where that long string of cabinets are and possibly microwave/baking area. I'm definitely not fond of just a run of useless cabinets...

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH