Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
2littlefishies

Drawer Organizers?

2LittleFishies
11 years ago

OK, so now that I will have all these wonderful drawers thanks to GW, can you all offer some recommendations for drawer organizers?

The Cabinet maker is doing 2 utensil drawers but wondering about some other options for other drawers : )

Thanks!

Comments (25)

• labbie
    11 years ago

We love our bamboo adjustable drawer organizers. We bought a few from Amazon and ended up finding more locally at Tuesday Morning.

We used the long narrow ones for utensils and the multi-compartment ones for our "junk" drawer that holds pens, pads, scissors, keys,etc.

Here is a link that might be useful: Adjustable drawer dividers

• zelmar
    11 years ago

We ordered organizers with our cabinets but I eventually ditched them because of the space that was wasted. I love the bamboo organizers from BB&B. They are individual boxes.

I looked around at organizers for a long time and these worked best with my drawers. They are a bit deeper than others I've found which means I'm using the vertical space better. The boxes don't exactly fit the drawer but I can easily find items that fit the small spaces left.

We still have our silverware in the dividers from our cabinet company but I have bamboo boxes on order so that I can completely redo the drawer and make the space more efficient.

• blfenton
    11 years ago

BB&B not only has the individual ones which I used in a ocuple of drawers but they also have expandable bamboo ones which I used in my 30" drawers. I can't remember the smaller measurements but I like the look and the sizes of the spaces.

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

I used B3 Made Rite bins. I got the idea from Grumpy Dave. This is an earlier rendition. I swapped out a few bins for one larger bins.

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

a2gemini- Where do you buy those?

• lwerner
    11 years ago

I don't know where a2gemini got hers, but I've found very similar drawer bins at Target.

Laura

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

2Fishies- B3= Bed, Bath, Beyond- I was on my mom's ipad so was being text cryptic. I think I called them by the wrong name - they are Made Smart bins. I tried the adjustable bins but just couldn't make them work in my drawers.

I went into the store with the measurements and played with various arrangements on top of the table cloth display until I was close.

Since this picture, I replaced the spatula and brush bin with a 6x15 bin (I think that was the size), and a few others. I keep tweeking them.

I also used the bins in my cabinets and pantry - I used mostly the 6x9 bins in my baking area and a combo in my pantry. - it keeps things neat on the upper shelves especially - I just pull down the entire bin. I have one for my extracts, one for my syrups, another for my chips, another for decorations, etc. I even have a few empty ones - I wonder how long that will last!

I believe they also sell white bins which would be a better match in your yellow and white kitchen - but not as many white ones in the store.

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

Here is a link to Made Smart showing the white bins
    http://www.madesmart.com/kitchen_white_col.asp

• breezygirl
    11 years ago

I'm planning on these Lee Valley divider thingies. They've been discussed on many threads, but I just grabbed one from a quick google search. Lowspark posted pics of hers if you scroll down. Bob is another expert user.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lee Valley divider things

• maggieq
    11 years ago

No pix, but I also used the same Made Smart as A2, found them all at Marshalls and TJ Maxx. As a true "interviewer" (per DH), I would buy everything they had, bring it home, figure out what worked and return the others. Over the course of a few weeks and visits to every M and TJM in the area, ended up with exactly what we needed. Actually ended up with more choices than our local BB&B.

• quiltgirl
    11 years ago

So glad you posted this. I was just going to start a thread asking for how people organize all the little gadgets that one ends up with in a kitchen. I have seen drawer organizers with niches cut in to hold everything in place as if the drawer were a display cabinet. Figured that would be way too expensive for me, although I liked it. Since I will finally have cabinets in February, I am trying to fine tune the design before construction starts on them, which will be right after the Holidays.

• PRO
    modern life interiors
    11 years ago

bump

• Donaleen Kohn
    11 years ago

well, i got a few of the bamboo ones and i do like them. but i also collected all the little boxes i could find in the house, even cardboard boxes. i figured i wanted to try how to divide the space before spending much money.

• chicagoans
    11 years ago

I have the bamboo organizers too and like them pretty well. They are about 1/4' thick on the bottom, so I feel like I lose a bit of space in my shallowest drawers. And they shift a bit when I open and close the drawers (slide front to back.) Not a big deal, but I might put some museum putty or similar behind them to make that stop.

I'm thinking of trying out some organizers from DrawerDecor; available on Amazon in a few different colors:

Here is a link that might be useful: Drawer Decor organizers

• SadieV
    11 years ago

We used the Lee Valley dividers and love them. Takes a little time, but well worth the effort. Most cost efficient solution we could find, but the best part is that you decide on the size of each compartment, so EVERYTHING fits!

• dragonfly08
    11 years ago

My drawers are still a work in progress as far as organization goes (in fact, my entire kitchen still is, 8 months after reno completed), but this is what I have thus far. Kind of a mix of everything, Rev-a-shelf, Lee Valley, Ikea, bamboo boxes from BBB... I found it challenging to find one line of products that fit all my drawers and my organizational needs.

I love the Rev-a-shelf for the built-in look and I wanted wood... no more cheap plastic or even bamboo sliding trays we've used for years. I have the ones you need to cut-to-size and love it! I also have the Lee Valley divider things but haven't figured out where to install them yet, nor have I found gone to look for dividers to slide in them yet.

Rev-a-shelf cut-to-size inserts (top photo also has a Lee Valley springed divider up against the insert tray):

Another Rev-a-shelf tray on top photo; bottom photo has a Lee Valley expandable divider and knife block is a bamboo piece bought off Amazon (I'm thinking of adding a second block next to it):

Another expandable divider on top; for deeper drawers holding lots of differently-sized pieces, I used these bins from IKEA (I need to get more!):

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for all these wonderful ideas!! I've been busy since posting so I haven't responded.

Now, I'm wondering if you guys do shelf liners at all? I wouldn't for the uppers but maybe for drawers. I'd rather not so let me know what you think. I guess I WILL do it for dish drawers (no pegs)...

• lindy1096
    11 years ago

No shelf liners; not in new cabinets.

• breezygirl
    11 years ago

No, no, no shelf liners. :)

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

I did use shelf liners in some drawers. Initially, I had a pegboard in my dish drawer but removed to save weight. I did put a clear liner in to decrease sliding of the dishes and also in my pot drawers.
    I look at my parents wood china cabinet(which I have) and see the scratches from many years. So, I do need these cabs to last- added protection to key areas.
    Also bought at B3 - just cause it is 2 miles from our house.

Maggie- LOL. I felt like a ping pong ball at B3- I kept exchanging bins. Now I will need to check out the other stores for more options

• dilly_ny
    11 years ago

Dragonfly, I really like those bins from Ikea. I've been looking for something like that for a deep drawer. Most at BBB and other stores have lips on then which causes wasted space IMO. I am heading back to Ikea soon to get another counter for my laundry rm, so I will get these bins as well. Thanks for the ides.

• Gracie
    11 years ago

Lowe's also carries the MadeSmart organizers. I prefer them over wood or bamboo because they can be washed.

But for the quality of your kitchen, I would look at the Blum Orga-line. They're individual boxes like the MadeSmart but stainless steel--and really nice! Amazon sells them.

• camphappy
    11 years ago

Ikea has very inexpensive drawer organizers including spice inserts. I was planning on going with Rev-a-shelf but so glad I stumbled on Ikeas products. It was one of the few areas I could save some money.

• bellsmom
    11 years ago

Here's a photo of my silverware drawer. I can't remember the name of the dividers I used, but I have a box of them stowed away and I'll get it if anyone is interested.

An assembly hint if you use these plastic ones or the Lee Valley brass and wood ones:
    1. Cut a piece of graph paper from a large sheet (I have a pad of 24 x 30'' graph paper that is wonderful) to fit the bottom of your drawer.
    2. Lay out the items that will go in the drawer and draw the shape of the spaces dividers on the graph paper.
    3. Then you can cut exactly to length and assemble and/or double check as you go. I put the marked graph paper on the kitchen table and assemble there.

Pros of this system:
    Very easy to assemble--just score the divider (come in 2'' and 3'' widths, 24'' lengths) with a razor, snap to length.
    Locate where the slotted tracks go, peel off the backs, and stick in place.
    Assemble like legos
    Easy to clean
    VERY space efficient

Cons of this system:
    The adhesive on the back of the slotted tracks can slip. The manufacturer recommends using gorilla glue if that happens. I haven't done that because I am not yet sure of my permanent arrangement.

I have in mind a major redo of this drawer. The present system uses only half of the height. I can make a sliding tray of quarter inch plywood that will sit on top of the bottom dividers. Then put more dividers in the tray.
    Sounds like a fun project.

• bellsmom
    11 years ago

Here's a photo of my silverware drawer. I can't remember the name of the dividers I used, but I have a box of them stowed away and I'll get it if anyone is interested.

An assembly hint if you use these plastic ones or the Lee Valley brass and wood ones:
    1. Cut a piece of graph paper from a large sheet (I have a pad of 24 x 30'' graph paper that is wonderful) to fit the bottom of your drawer.
    2. Lay out the items that will go in the drawer and draw the shape of the spaces dividers on the graph paper.
    3. Then you can cut exactly to length and assemble and/or double check as you go. I put the marked graph paper on the kitchen table and assemble there.

Pros of this system:
    Very easy to assemble--just score the divider (come in 2'' and 3'' widths, 24'' lengths) with a razor, snap to length.
    Locate where the slotted tracks go, peel off the backs, and stick in place.
    Assemble like legos
    Easy to clean
    VERY space efficient

Cons of this system:
    The adhesive on the back of the slotted tracks can slip. The manufacturer recommends using gorilla glue if that happens. I haven't done that because I am not yet sure of my permanent arrangement.

I have in mind a major redo of this drawer. The present system uses only half of the height. I can make a sliding tray of quarter inch plywood that will sit on top of the bottom dividers. Then put more dividers in the tray.
    Sounds like a fun project.