Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lucas_tx_gw

Suggestions on layout please

lucas_tx_gw
11 years ago

Trying to do a refresh but keep the costs in line. 1984 ranch house with an upstairs addition.

Will do new cabinet, counters, floors but because the house is on a slab I'm really reluctant to move plumbing both from the standpoint of cost and afraid to break up the slab. So would like the sink and DW to stay put. Fridge on the other hand needs to move because it's in a corner, but I think the ice maker line can be moved in the walls, so not a big deal.

Main objectives are:

1. Open the wall over the sink to be able to see out.

2. Remove upper cabs over sink and peninsula and soffits

3. Make more space between sink and stove for prep area

Only the DH and I in the house.

Current kitchen floor plan

Current downstairs floorplan

Bedrooms are off to the left. Note there is a huge pantry under the stairs so storage for food/paper goods not a problem. Garage is to the right. Formal dining to right of breakfast area. There is an opening there, just not shown. We plan to widen that opening to allow both rooms to be used as one eating area for holidays. We also plan to make the opening into the kitchen bigger, right now it's only 33." We got a new fridge a year or so ago and it was a challenge to find one that could get through the door and then fit in that corner.

{{!gwi}}

Proposed future floor plan. Please ignore the gaps around the sink base. I used the IKEA planner to sketch this but it isn't very smart about non-square rooms, so this is just to get a rough idea

{{!gwi}}

3D view this is looking from back wall, the one where the frig is today

{{!gwi}}

View of sink today

{{!gwi}}

View from over peninsula today

{{!gwi}}

View from breakfast area today, this is what I'd like to see more of from the sink

{{!gwi}}

Comments (3)

• rosie
    11 years ago

Lucas, since you wouldn't be handling the jackhammer or pouring cement over the hole, what do you care about moving the sink? Maybe you can find a new layout you love and leave it right where it is now, but what I'd strongly suggest at this point is to just design your perfect kitchen for that house, then see what it would cost. If the sink needed moving, you could always cover the cost by choosing a less expensive stone for the counter (remember, cost of stone is usually a lot more about availability that it is about beauty or quality), or a simpler door style, or counter edge, backsplash, etc.

Start with the issue that has everything to do with how much and long you will love your kitchen--the layout, relation to the rest of the house, outdoors, views, sunlight, etc. Not with today's favorite finishes, which inevitably are not going to be tomorrow's. You need something more enduring to love your kitchen for: What it feels like to be in there and how nice it is to work there.

• live_wire_oak
    11 years ago

You're in denial.

You're talking about moving windows and walls but are calling it a "refresh" yet saying you don't want to address the elephant in the room: the sink location.

Even on a slab, moving a sink is cheaper option than all of your other choices in this major gut redo.

Accept the fact that you are going to have to address the sink if you want to change the functionality of the space.

Or, accept it as it is for a while longer and plan to move if you don't want to do a "major" remodel.

Because you are already in major remodel territory. Even if you are in denial about it.

• lucas_tx_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Maybe I wasn't clear. We specifically are not moving any walls, just making a cut out over the sink and widening the doorways, nor are we talking about changing any windows. So I'm not clear what about this constitutes a major gut?

In terms of a layout I 'love', I actually like it quite well right now, except for the fact that the stove needs to move to left somewhat to make more prep area and I'd like to not have a blank wall in front of the sink.

So what would you do with the space if you did gut it?

Thanks!