Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dtrivi2209

New kitchen and already obsessing over how to care for my granite

Dtrivi2209
9 years ago

Good morning everyone! We have finally reached the final stages in our kitchen renovation and our granite counters have been installed! It has been 4 long months without a kitchen so we are thrilled. Anyway, they sealed our granite but I would feel more comfortable dealing it again to REALLY protect our huge investment and to get a nice shine on it. I notice that water is still absorbing into it very quickly and some things I've been reading suggest re-sealing when this happens.

Can anyone offer any suggestions of the best sealer to use? Also, any tips or tricks to application? How can I get a super high gloss shine?

Comments (21)

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

Do you know which sealer has already been applied?

• Dtrivi2209
    Original Author
    9 years ago

No, they used something in a white bottle but the label was removed.

• jellytoast
    9 years ago

You should try to find out what was used previously.

• Dtrivi2209
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Does that make a difference? I have read that any sealer can be used even if one was already previously applied? I just want something that is REALLY going to protect it and it doesn't seem like what they applied is doing that...

• Hydragea
    9 years ago

...I can't help, but wanted to say that I love your granite! Very nice!

• jellytoast
    9 years ago

Well, I like Porous Plus. It is a penetrating sealer and I believe they recommend removing any sealers previously applied. It will not give you a high-gloss shine, but I don't know if you can get that from any sealer. I would think it would help to know if the sealer they used was water or oil based as I wouldn't think the two would mix ... ?

• Dtrivi2209
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That is a good point JellyToast!! I'm so frustrated because I don't want to touch the counters until I know they are sealed properly! Has anyone used DuPont Bulletproof before?

Thanks Hydragea!! We spent 5 hours at the granite yard obsessing over it so now I'm like a protective mother with her child!! Haha

• jellytoast
    9 years ago

Things are normally slow on the weekends here. If you don't get some responses, try bumping your thread on Monday when more people are around.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

I use Proseal from Tenax. The Italians know a little bit about stone.

• jellytoast
    9 years ago

Tre, can you apply that over an existing sealer, and does it matter if it's oil or water based?

• Dtrivi2209
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Anyone else? I decided to take the plunge and purchase DuPont Bulletproof. Does anyone have any experience with it?

• kiko_gw
    9 years ago

Just copy and paste the phrase below into google to find other threads mentioning DuPont Bulletproof. Maybe reading them would give you some more info?

dupont bulletproof site:ths.gardenweb.com

• Dtrivi2209
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Since purchasing the DuPont I have found about 10 other supposedly superior products...

I'm just concerned that I will damage my granite? Is sealing a pretty foolproof process? Any tricks to making it look perfect?

• lovetorenovate
    9 years ago

pretty counters! after you have it sealed - I find that the best way to clean mine is with a little dish detergent and water - then dry with a microfiber towel. the only counters I've had issues with staining are my lightest ones - Kashmir White - and someone left a bag of miracle grow on the counter that created a blue stain (this was the laundry room and it could have been left there for many days).

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

"Tre, can you apply that over an existing sealer, and does it matter if it's oil or water based?"

It depends. If I knew what was on the granite previously, I'd just apply it. If the top had been waxed previously, I'd strip the wax with acetone.

Tenax Proseal doesn't appear to be water based although I believe Dry Treat makes an excellent one that is.

• jellytoast
    9 years ago

"Is sealing a pretty foolproof process? Any tricks to making it look perfect?"

You just put it on, wait a few minutes, wipe it off, buff.

• Dtrivi2209
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I definitely know the top hasn't been waxed. So I don't need to clean the counter with acetone prior to applying the new sealer? Just clean it and then apply?

• Dtrivi2209
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Also, lovetorenovate thank you for the compliment! I really love them and I just want them to look beautiful forever hahah!

• Bunny
    9 years ago

Your granite is really lovely, interesting, yet calm and peaceful.

I'm not sure how realistic it is to want something to look "perfect" and "beautiful forever." There are some counter materials that seem functionally bulletproof, while others hold up very well and age gracefully. Of course you want to give your counters the best chance of holding up and looking good for a long time, but remember that beautiful counter is also a work surface.

I'd start with finding out what your counter was sealed with, then report back to this group. Good luck!

• Dtrivi2209
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi linelle! Thank you so much! I do love our countertops very much! It was 5 agonizing hours at the granite yard hemming and hawing over the perfect color to suit our cabinets!

I know I sound crazy, I don't mean I want them to look perfect forever but I just mainly want to protect my investment.

I contacted the granite company and they won't tell me what they used strangely enough...things here in Orlando can be a little shady... It was in a white bottle. They did tell me it was water based though.

• Dtrivi2209
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Kiko, I did as you suggested and found some info but nothing really current and no insightful tips on application. I'm so nervous to mess things up!