Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marcia_m

flat panel doors vs raised panel doors

marcia_m
11 years ago

We're doing a kitchen cabinet door replacement with painted hard maple wood doors (we now have peeling thermofoil) and I'm wondering if there is more to consider than style between raised panel and flat panel doors.

We have a small kitchen in SW Florida. I'm concerned about warping since we are snowbirds and are here only in the winter. Is one of these styles more resistant to warping than the other?

Thanks for your comments.

Marcia

Comments (9)

• CEFreeman
    11 years ago

Ahh, yes. The shabby chic, reclaimed look of peeling thermafoil. For the life of me, I can't figure out why those cute little shops aren't just pushing these decorative items. Ok, just kidding.

So, No.

It's more of an eye thing.
    For example, I prefer flat panel because there is less visual clutter. OTOH, big raised panel doors present with a smooth surface, too, simply because of the width of the doors.

It's an eye thing.
    Your bigger concern would be if you were looking to use slab doors and how they were made.

You could call any cabinet shop in FLA and ask their opinion and you'd probably get more accurate whys and why nots. But I'd still check here, because not all cabinet people will discuss anything but what they're selling. Here cabinet people tend to be, what? More knowledgable? More open to discussing other brands? More willing to share their years of experience? Maybe all and maybe more. :)

• marcia_m
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I like the Shaker style doors but my husband likes the raised panel doors. Before I insist on having my own way, I want to make sure I'm not making a mistake! :)
    Marcia

• marcia_m
    Original Author
    11 years ago

We are looking at Conestoga all wood doors. I'm not sure the raised panels are one solid piece of wood but know the flat panels are plywood veneer.
    Marcia

• Cateskitchen
    11 years ago

The veneer center panel is definitely more stable and less prone to expansion and contraction due to humidity than a solid wood door. I would go with the the flat panel shaker door especially because you are choosing a painted finish. But I agree with the post above it is a regional thing, here in Northern New England the expansion and contraction of doors is a huge issue... Humid moist summers and dry wood heat winters can literally blow things apart!! This picture is of a solid reverse raised panel...

• cabmanct
    11 years ago

As long as the center panel is mdf, it doesn't matter if its flat or raised.

• westsider40
    11 years ago

It's way easier to clean a slab door without having to qtip clean a shaker or other door. And day to day gunk does get in the corners. Not at first, but it does require involved cleaning later.

• westsider40
    11 years ago

It's way easier to clean a slab door without having to qtip clean a shaker or other door. And day to day gunk does get in the corners. Not at first, but it does require involved cleaning later.

• marcia_m
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for all your comments. I think I'm going with the Shaker-style flat panel doors. When looking at photos or in home improvement stores, that style seems to attract me the most.
    Marcia