Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bobbie2010_gw

Can I put a 72 inch fridge in a 72 inch cabinet space

bobbie2010
9 years ago

Odd question, I know. I have a space that is 72 high, 32 deep and 36 1/2 wide to put the fridge. We don't need a counter depth but since it is next to a door opening, It would work better and look nicer if it were a counter depth. My question is, can the case of the fridge be 72 in a 72 space. I know the hinges will sit above the case by 1/2 inch but the doors of the cabinet above will still open. Not that I can even reach that cabinet.
The spot next to the door is the fridge area, the other open spot is a micro wall oven combo

Comments (16)

• GreenDesigns
    9 years ago

Refrigerator height is 70" max, with only 1 or 2 being 71". (Built ins are 84"H) That's designed as a ventilation space if the manufacturer's specs require it. Or, it can have a filler to close in the gap if the specs allow. Above all, the manufacturer's specs for the particular model will tell you what you can and cannot do here. It's not universal across brands at all.

• jellytoast
    9 years ago

My KA french door counter depth measures exactly 72 inches high from the bottom of the fridge to the top of the hinges (the part that fits inside the opening).

• bobbie2010
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I found a Jenn AIr FD that would fit too, the Black floating glass FD. Loved the micro combo double oven from Jenn AIr Pro line. It's running about $2000 more for the Jenn Air, so I think we'll stay with the GE. Loved the black glass though.

• jellytoast
    9 years ago

Manufactures want some ventilation space left around the fridge. Your cabinet likely has a half inch or more of space underneath created by the face frame. It sounds like you should be fine. If you are doubtful, go to the showroom and measure the exact fridge that you are considering.

• GreenDesigns
    9 years ago

The specs require a 72 1/2" opening from floor to ceiling for the 25 cubic foot models. While you'd probably be OK with the 72" opening, it does not meet the manufacturer's requirements. That could possibly void the warranty if they chose to take that line.

• GreenDesigns
    9 years ago

They also require that the opening be 24 1/2" of depth to the opening.

• jellytoast
    9 years ago

GreenDesigns, if there was 1/2 inch of space behind the face frame of the fridge cabinet, wouldn't that count as "space" for the manufacturers recommendations? The frames of my cabinets hang down a little further than the bottom of the cabinets.

• bobbie2010
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thanks GreenDesigns. I'm good with the depth, we have 32 inches. The counter depth is probably not necessary, but the doors open closer to the case of the fridge and I'm hoping it will not bang into the wall (as much). We do have about 5 inches to move the refrig and oven cabinets if needed over away from the door opening

This post was edited by bobbie2010 on Wed, Nov 19, 14 at 11:02

• juddgirl2
    9 years ago

My 72" Kitchenaid CD french door refrigerator only requires a 71 7/8" cutout height. The stainless cabinet is also a bit taller on the top, which hides the hinges from the front view.

We've only had it installed a few weeks but so far I like it so much better than my old full depth side by side refrigerator. It would be nice to have more freezer space but it seems like I have much more refrigerator space.

http://www.kitchenaid.com/shop/-[KFCS22EVMS]-402195/KFCS22EVMS/

• ci_lantro
    9 years ago

You're not thinking of putting the refrig next to the wall, are you?

From the link:
    If installed against a wall, allow clearance of 13-15/16" on freezer
    side to remove bin.
    Clearance required to remove fresh food full-size pan without
    disassembling is 18-5/8".

• deickhoff0
    9 years ago

Take some advice from been there done that. Do NOT get a side by side for that corner. You'll be much better off with a French door and bottom freezer.

• schicksal
    9 years ago

I agree, having a side by side in a corner like that. Using the freezer side was sometimes "fun."

• ci_lantro
    9 years ago

After looking at the photo again (it's so dark that I can't be sure), I fear that you have a MAJOR design flaw.

The only refrigerator that is going to work in that corner is a single door one that hinges on the right. Functionally, that is going to be a real PIA.

A French door/ side by side refrigerator is not going to work. You'll not be able to open the doors wide enough for the bins to pull out.

The refrig & oven cabinets need to be swapped, with the ovens going next to the wall. And make sure that the door casing isn't a problem with the oven doors opening. (Don't think this will be a problem because of the cab face frame; also, it looks like open oven doors would extend out far enough for that to be a problem. )

• juddgirl2
    9 years ago

I have the same layout that ci_lantro suggested, with the wall ovens next to the door and the refrigerator next to the wall ovens. It's not ideal having the ovens next to a walkway and we do have to be careful to not open one refrigerator door when the oven's open (to avoid dents) but there's no problem with clearance when opening any of the doors. The oven cabinet has a few inches of filler next to the door casing. It works well.

• bobbie2010
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I thought about swapping, but then the oven would sit back. We do have about 6 inches to move both cabinets over to make more room for the refrigerator. I'll try and take a better picture than this. Don't mind the bog bowls, please.