Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Standard overhang on granite countertop?

Posted by crafterbeth (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 16, 10 at 10:19

I'm talking about the "lip" on the countertop that cantilevers out over the cabinets....talking with hubby last night (he was home when the granite guys templated) and he said there is about a 1.5 inch overhang to allow the countertop to cover the top of the door/drawers and dishwasher and to keep a little distance between your legs and the cabinet fronts.

It seemed like a lot to me.........does this seem like a normal depth? anyone have a measuring tape handy?LOL

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Standard overhang on granite countertop?

1 1/2 inch is what is standard.

o

if the cabinets don't have doors or drawer fronts on them yet, measure 2 1/4" from the cabinet fronts. I asked for more, and when It got installed it didn't seem like much after the drawers got their drawer fronts.

o

Yup, that's standard. We had closer to 2" on our old counters (because the cabinets were only 22" and they had tried to add depth with the counters) and even that didn't feel like much in daily use.

o

Thanks everyone! I was a tad worried. Never had granite before. Just something else to obsess about with a kitheno reno!

o

1 1/2" is the usual and customary amount of overhang from the FACE of the CABINET FRAME - to the outside edge of the countertop - anything less than that can expose the face of the doors and drawers of the cabinet assembly......

hth

kevin

o

Thanks Kevin........you scared me for a minute my hubby is Kevin also and I'm thinking "did he join the forum"!LOL....

That's exactly what my husband Kevin told me and even though he built me 2 houses and builds furniture I was still skeptical...it's a wife thing....we question everything don't we??

o

Hi. I just had to chime in. We just had our granite installed and the overhang is 2 inches. Now we have the slide in range installed and we can see the sides of the range. The nuts and bolts. If our installer had taken that into consideration, I'm sure the overhang would have been closer to 1 1/2.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here