Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Which to install first? Backsplash or Microwave

Posted by a.girl.named.max (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 25, 13 at 10:18

We are in the middle of remodeling out kitchen. We have installed new kitchen cabinets and countertops. We think the next steps are to install the tile backsplashes and an over-the-stove microwave.

Should the new tile go behind the microwave or should it butt up to the bottom of the microwave? In other words should we install the tile first and then the micorwave?

We haven't selected the tile yet. The electrical outlets and wiring for the microwave are are already installed. Any other things/pitfalls we might not have thought of yet?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Which to install first? Backsplash or Microwave

I just did a quick Google search to see what comes up, some people are saying to tile first then install microwave. In case you change models down the road... Make sure to mark out stud locations first.

A few say to install microwave first to have a more level surface and to locate studs easier, to reduce the amount microwave sticks out from cabinets....

Hopefully you get more responses :)

o

Most likely your OTR micro will have a backplate which will need to be attached to your wall. If you put up your backsplash first, you'd have to drill through your tiles to mount that backplate. Put up the micro first, and tile up to it.

You might want to consider getting extra tile, so if a little further down the road you decide to put in a hood instead, you'd be able to take down the micro and add the tile to the backsplash.

Helene

o

Hi Max, hope you don't mind my jumping in. Like Helene, I'd install the microwave first too, especially because of that backplate. It is a lot stabler when attached directly to the wall.

Doing this also helps streamline the work. Install all fixtures first, and then tile the walls. Hope this helps.

o

My microwave was installed first, I purchased extra BS incase I need it in the future.

o

Just be sure you do not grout against the MW, easy to happen when tiling. Put some tape around it to minimize the possibility during grouting.

o

Your upper cabinets should be screwed into studs which will tell you where they are. Install the backsplash, grout, and install the microwave. The meeting of the microwave and the tile will look much nicer if the tile is behind the microwave rather than butting into it. Your microwave will be additionally proud of the cabinet the thickness of the tile, but so what?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here