Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Backsplash help

Posted by nyse2502 (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 2, 13 at 10:17

I haven't posted pictures of my kitchen revel yet because I did a whole house Reno and its just been too crazy. I have mostly been a lurker here with occasional postings but have learned SO MUCH from the GW. Now I need help with a backsplash. I have a wood hood and the upside down corbels in the pic will be below it, on the backsplash. I am thinking of doing an inset of either mosaic with a frame around it and subway throughout the rest of the kitchen. My kitchen is large and this will be the focal point. I am just having a tough time picturing the two-toned one because I think it might look too much like a checkerboard, maybe I am being crazy. But I think the arabesque might be too safe and not pop. Opinions please!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Backsplash help

What size area will be covered by the focal backsplash? The darker accent pieces may become too dominant if there will be many of them. Hence the question. By "too dominant" I mean that they may take focus away from granite. That is not necessarily bad; it just depends upon what you would prefer. Very pretty choices--all of them.

o

I like the two toned ones. I think the color will add just the right amount of interest and keep things from being to monochromatic.

What are you going to do use for your border? I think a contrast might be interesting.

o

I think either would be really pretty. As far as the two toned pattern, isn't there an example of some sort so people can see how it lays out?

o

I vote with the 2-toned one. This is said after spending my past week looking at BS, and deciding I like interesting ones.

o

This is a pic of the cooktop area, the inset would be approx 36"w x 26"h. The webisite for the 2-toned mosaic is AWFUL!! But they are a custom company and when I first saw the pattern it was reversed with the clovers dark and the other pieces light, the dark clovers were way to strong. I've seen the arabesque all laid out and it's really interesting but I just think it might be too matchy-matchy. I'm not sure what type of frame I would use, something with a contrast could work. I am also considering asking if they could make the clovers one shade darker to see if that would look better.

o

I would go with the Arabesque because it would create interest without being right in your face. Your kitchen looks very classy, so I think subtle may be more in the long run. You can always get colorful accessories that can be changed out.
Plus, I suppose I'm not really a fan of focal mosaics behind the range, even when done nicely. I'd worry that I'd get bored with it or that it gets dated very quickly, even when done well.

Could you do a separate board with the two-tone tile that you can put up behind the range and that can be changed out?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here