Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kitchen Layout- Design pictures opinions?

Posted by degcds (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 8, 12 at 10:14

Hello all!

We are in the process of designing our new kitchen for our new home that we are breaking ground on next month. We know the kitchen is really important to us and also resale value- Although we plan on this being our forever home. We decided on Shiloh Cabinets with the inset doors. Our plan calls for a Hidden pantry door which we love. Does anybody have any opinions of our kitchen lay out? Things you would do differently? Would you place the appliances were we currently have them? We are not sure about the upper Cabinets, I am 6ft 3in and I think I would be able to reach them but if not I am not sure we want to spend the extra money on them, although I feel like it really makes the kitchen look complete. We were originally going to do cofferred ceilings but we decided that the 9ft ceilings and coffer would make the room feel small and dark. We are going with White cabinets on the outer walls and the island will be a dark brown, and the floors are going to be fairly dark onsite finished hardwood floors. Also what would you use as your counter top? Right now we have a white granite picked out but I feel like we might have too much white? I really love the look of Marble but not the cost. Would you go with a gray counter top over white? I will attach some more pictures so you can see everything we have to work with as well. Thank you so much in advance for any ideas and opinions!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kitchen Layout- Design pictures opinions?

Looking from dining area off kitchen

o

Looking at the cook top and hidden pantry

o

Stove, fridge and microwave.

o

The main working area of this kitchen is pretty much a one-person space. Is that what you want/will need for the long haul? No room for multiple workers, and broken-up prep space is why I am not a fan of the cleanup zone being directly across from the stove, but it depends on how you cook and how your family might participate - or not. I have a busy family always working in my kitchen, so I need more separation of zones and you may not.

Also, where will dishes be stored? I don't see anything much available near the dishwasher for that, and I think it's pretty crucial to have those 2 things close to together.

o

Well, I am the main cook and also the main cleaner in our family, its just 2 of us (both adults) It is really similar to our previous home and we loved the kitchen lay out. We will actually have a Butlers pantry for our nicer china, and previously we had all of the dishes stored to the right of the cook top. but had been thinking about storing them in the uppers next to the fridge, is that too far?? We have talked about moving the sink down, we also elimited the prep sink on the island as it left us with really NO prep area- so we put the prep sink in the butlers pantry (we would mainly us it for ice during parties anyway)

o

If you have experience with that layout and it's only the 2 of you, that's great. This plan looks appropriate to your situation and needs.

I don't know what you have planned for the rest of the island currently, but if you will keep dishes at that fridge side of the kitchen, what about switching the dw to the fridge side of the sink?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here