Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beekeeperswife_gw

Happy Thanksgiving to All

beekeeperswife
11 years ago

I am very thankful that I found Garden Web. I'm wishing all of you a wonderful Thanksgiving and hoping you are spending it with your family.

Personally, I'm keeping the Hurricane Sandy victims in my thoughts today, especially after my daughter arrived last night and told us that she drives by the Tent City every day on her way to work. I just can't imagine being in a tent on Thanksgiving or any other day during the cold weather. She told us that one of the women she worked with lost her house and everything in it, she is a single mom with a 9 year old son. They are in one of the tents.

Besides all of you, I'm thankful that my family is safe and that we all will be together for the first time in our new home sharing a wonderful dinner together.

~Bee

Comments (6)

• blfenton
    11 years ago

Happy Thanksgiving to all of my friends in the U.S. If you are travelling, safe journey, and I hope that you have a wonderful time with friends and family.

• ellendi
    11 years ago

Very heart breaking to actually know someone who lost everything. Hopefully the coworkers will band together and help her.
    We had a situation where a department head at our local Y had to trash her entire house due to a bedbug situation. A drive was started and we donated gift cards to places like Bed, Bath and Beyond etc so she could rebuild her everyday life.

• motherof3sons
    11 years ago

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! Like Bee, I am glad to have found GW 10 years ago. It seems like yesterday!

My daughter-in-laws father works for Ameren in Illinois and just returned from working on the east coast. I prayed for his safety daily and for those who are victims of Sandy. We are blessed with a wonderful family and our extended family of friends.

This holiday season, keep the less fortunate in your thoughts and prayers. My children are in education and they share about so many children and families that need assistance. There are families living in domestic violence shelters that operate on limited budgets. The lost generation, the elderly, with no family or visitors. The Salvation Army, local food pantries, churches, youth facilities - they all need assistance. It is not only money, but also time. Five minutes with an elderly person lifts their spirits.

Last Sunday we shared in a Thanksgiving meal at my MILs assisted living home. There was a woman I thought was someone from my childhood. I asked the workers her name and it was my childhood friendly lady. I thought she had passed years earlier. I knocked on her door and we had a delightful chat. She asked no less than 3 times my name and when I told her, she lit up. She shared stories about my mother who died in 1980. Our chat meant as much to me as it did to her.

Have a blessed season.

• nhbaskets
    11 years ago

Happy Thanksgiving! So glad I found GW 3 years ago.

My nephews girlfriend has a brother who lives on the coast in NJ and lost everything. They drove down last weekend with a van full of donations from family and friends here in NH. My nephew was overwhelmed with the devastation and said that pictures he had seen doesn't even come close to depicting what these poor people has been through. When they arrived at a high school to drop things off two girls came up to him when they saw blankets. He gladly handed them each one and received big hugs in return. Something that he will soon not forget.

Closer to home, my DH and GS went this morning to what once was a large Air Force base located near our home. About 100 troops were returning from Afghanistan and Iraq. The Pease Greeters, as they are called, greet both incoming and deploying troops. I'm proud my 9 year old grandson wanted to go and thank these brave Americans for what they do.

• TxMarti
    11 years ago

I hope everyone has had a wonderful day and best of luck to all who are brave enough to brave the crowds tonight or tomorrow. I too am thankful I found GW many years ago.

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

Sandy definitely challenged many folks- either through losses or emotions.
    So sad to still see the cleanup going on.
    In years past, I would host an orphans dinner on thanksgiving for friends without family in the area. We traveled this year, so no opportunity.
    A lot to be thankful for and continued recovery for others.
    I saw pictures from sandy from my nieces BF who was in NY. He is an intern and had to leave. He returned to find the marina at his doorstep. The yachts floated in from the marina and dry docked when the water receded.
    Take care and god bless
    iPhone cryptic.