Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Side mounted drawer glides - recommendations

Posted by BlackChamois (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 14, 13 at 10:13

My cabinet maker will be installing side mounted glides vs. bottom mounted. I know I am sacrificing some drawer width for height but that's the trade off I went with.
I have heard/read a lot about Blum and it sounds like that is the brand of choice, but he said he was going to use either KV or Accuride.

They will be self/soft closing and full extension. I want a smooth motion and don't want to be tugging hard to open the drawer or pushing hard to close.

Any feedback/opinions/advice?

Thank you!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Side mounted drawer glides - recommendations

We used the accuride under mounts for a few of the drawers because the Blum come in 3" increments and the accuride ones come in 2". The Blum are more elegant, but the accuride ones seem to work fine too. We are using accuride side mount ones in the pantry because they are the only ones that seem to make something large enough - 40" long!

o

Thank you. He is going to bring me a sample of each installed on a drawer. Hope there are others who can provide some additional feedback. I also posted on the Woodworking forum and Furniture forum but so far no replies :(

o

I've used accuride sidemounts in a number of places--I built rollouts for my existing kitchen & used them there, years ago, and also on a couple furniture pieces I've built. They're AWESOME. OK, I haven't used soft-close, but that doesn't seem like the hardest part of the tech, it's the smoothly-rolling-for-years under-weight thing. And that, they have.

o

Thanks Megan! That's what I needed to know. Cabinet maker is coming tomorrow with samples. I'll keep you posted!

o

So he brought a sample drawer with KV side mounted soft closing glides installed. Boy was it hard to open AND close. Took three pushes. He's going to try the Accuride or a German made one (can't recall the name) and bring another sample on Monday.

o

If it was hard to open and close, I'd suspect that the drawer box was sized incorrectly.

o

Grass and Hafele are also good brands.

o

What model number KV slide did your cabinet maker's sample have?

I looked into the below slides to replace my 30yr old KV roller slides. These new slides (KV calls them Force Management) are supposed to offer soft close without a hard pull to open the drawer. The model number is KV8450FM.

I posted a link below to the Woodworker's Supply website (no affiliation) which has details on them.

The slides have very narrow installation tolerance, which is no big deal for you since you're doing new cabinets, but ended up being a deal breaker for me. So I can't give an in-use testimonial but may be worth looking into.

cheers

Here is a link that might be useful: the DV slides at woodworker's supply website

o

@catbuilder - He's a pretty skilled cabinet maker so I wouldn't think he sized the box incorrectly, although it is just a sample box and not a "full" base cabinet. We'll see when he switches them out for a different brand. He favors side mounted glides so I know he uses them most consistently but also favors the non-self closing type.

@hollysprings - Thank you. I'll mention those.

@mtnfever - Thanks for the model number. Not sure what he used, but I will tell him about these.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here