Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deardaisy

switchplates & switches to match backsplash

deardaisy
12 years ago

I have a new dark grey backsplash with white grout, and white switchplates. I see on the forum a discussion about replacing or painting the switchplates, but what about the switches themselves? I have heard that is expensive and requires an electrician (I am not handy myself). Do people just replace the switchplate and leave the switches white? I have those wider "roller" type switches and not the small ones. (Don't really know what they are called). Any pictures? Please help!

Comments (8)

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

The switches are tactfully pretty cheap (though the $0.39 ones do not last as long) and relatively easy to replace (they have at most three wires unless you have a multi-way switch).

You could paint the actual toggle if you want, it is just plastic.

Getting paint to stick long term with use can be a problem

• snoonyb
    12 years ago

The product of which you refer, are referred to as "Decora" and are a style and are available in several shades of grey.
    And yes if you are not handy you'll need the assistance of an electrician.

• Circus Peanut
    12 years ago

Look at the colors of Lutron. I have GFCIs, regular outlets, and switchplates in the same color as my walls, and they're fabulous. I used Goldstone from the Satin series to match my yellow walls, but you may like one of the other series, like the Gloss or Matte, for the grays.

If you hunt around the net, you'll find good deals on them. The colored GFCI outlets were the most expensive at $27 or so, but the regular ones are more reasonable.

• Circus Peanut
    12 years ago

Whups sorry, that Colors link didn't work well. Here are the Satin colors; they make everything from switches to outlets to dimmers in these colors, as well as the plates:

• joaniepoanie
    12 years ago

I found gray outlets and switches at Home Depot today....our granite BS will also be gray and the white will stick out...glad I found them and don't have to order online. I imagine Lowes and other large home improvement stores would also have them.

• deardaisy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you for your suggestions! I ended up going to Lowe's and found some stainless switchplates that I might use. i'm just not sure if I want to attempt the switches or let them be white. Does anyone do this.....a different color of switches? I appreciate all your feedback.

• joaniepoanie
    12 years ago

DH will be changing our outlets and switches to gray from white on our BS. You can probably google how to do it. Hire an electrician if you don't want to tackle it yourself, but I don't think it's a big deal. Main thing is to make sure electricity is off at circuit breaker. Take pictures before undoing present connections so you can refer back to them while wiring new ones.

• abfabamy
    12 years ago

Sure, gray switches and outlets would go great with stainless covers. Changing them is pretty easy. Just be sure to do it in the daytime so you can shut the breakers off to those items needing change. Then follow the directions inside the box of the new switches. All it takes is a screwdriver and possibly a pair of needle nose pliers if you have to bend the end of the wire.